Old and Obscure Brands

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
JAMESC41001

Re: Old and Obscure Brands

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great knife Rodger.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks!
Roger
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice Roger great find ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's stunning, Roger!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Outstanding Folder Roger! That is some great looking bone jigging combining elements of several different types ::tu::
Lloyd
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks guys.
Roger
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

peanut740 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:37 pm Geo.S.Saunders & Co.4 1/4" toenail made by Napanoch.Goins shows Boston Massachusetts 1895- 1920.
Great knife
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Roger, I do believe that is the prettiest bone I've ever seen !!
::drool::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Dang Roger your Napanoch made elephant toe is real beauty. I want to thank you for all the posting you do for us here on AAPK. You have a collection to be proud of. Thanks Steve B.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks David,Chris and Steve.The old stuff is what floats my boat.
Roger
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Very nice Roger ::tu::
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Great looking knife Roger!
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Duffer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 pm Thanks Dan & Ike ::tu:: Thanks Mike L. for your additional input on the handles! I have heard them called pressed horn and pressed stag. Are you saying that the process starts with horn and when press molded the end result is the stag horn gnarly look? Because it looks like stag people just assume the original material to begin with was stag? I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that pressed stag is real, but is a lesser quality stag that when steamed and pressed with some type of mold it results in the appearance of gnarly, barky stag.
Sorry it took so long for me to respond to this. I have always thought these types of handles were pressed horn and sometimes pressed Tortoise like some very old straight razors are. I thought I was told that or read it somewhere but could not remember or find the article. I asked Bernard Levine because I thought it was in one of his books. I sent him a picture of the knife and he came back with the comment below.

"That is a type of European stag. I don't know what species, but it was also used in England."

He also sent along some info on pressed horn, link is below. It's long but very interesting reading. Bottom line is that the handles are a species of Stag, I was wrong in thinking that they were pressed horn. The Torrey English Jack I have has the same type handles and I now know they are stag and not pressed horn.

https://plastiquarian.com/?page_id=14337
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

galvanic1882 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:01 pm
Duffer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 pm Thanks Dan & Ike ::tu:: Thanks Mike L. for your additional input on the handles! I have heard them called pressed horn and pressed stag. Are you saying that the process starts with horn and when press molded the end result is the stag horn gnarly look? Because it looks like stag people just assume the original material to begin with was stag? I read somewhere (can’t remember where) that pressed stag is real, but is a lesser quality stag that when steamed and pressed with some type of mold it results in the appearance of gnarly, barky stag.
Sorry it took so long for me to respond to this. I have always thought these types of handles were pressed horn and sometimes pressed Tortoise like some very old straight razors are. I thought I was told that or read it somewhere but could not remember or find the article. I asked Bernard Levine because I thought it was in one of his books. I sent him a picture of the knife and he came back with the comment below.

"That is a type of European stag. I don't know what species, but it was also used in England."

He also sent along some info on pressed horn, link is below. It's long but very interesting reading. Bottom line is that the handles are a species of Stag, I was wrong in thinking that they were pressed horn. The Torrey English Jack I have has the same type handles and I now know they are stag and not pressed horn.

Mike, it makes sense, if they were horn I would expect to see bug damage on some of these old ones.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks Mike and John for your input—much appreciated ::tu:: Thanks additionally Mike for asking BL and for posting the article!
Lloyd
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful toenail, Roger, great bone! ::tu::
Thanks for information, Mike. I had also always mistakenly thought that handles like the ones on John's and Lloyd's knives were pressed horn. I am sure there is a thread somewhere on here that has a fairly extensive discussion of this topic, but, I can't locate it. Below is a link to an article, by Jim Taylor, that has some discussion of pressed horn being used for cutlery handles.
http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/horn.html
Dan
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Roger, nice Toe Nail. Bone looks to me like Robeson, it is really nice.

Harold
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That e-toe is a great knife, thanks for posting it! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf

Post by wlf »

JohnR wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:21 pm
galvanic1882 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Mike, it makes sense, if they were horn I would expect to see bug damage on some of these old ones
That was what always bothered me about pressed stag being horn John, no bug holes. I still wonder why none was imported for use on American manufactured knives. Gotta believe something. :) :

I remember that beautiful Torrey Mike.

Enjoyed all the lovely knives since I last posted.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I'm pretty sure that this knife belongs here. It is a, 1915-1920, A. KASTOR & BROS - NEW YORK, bone handles, single blade, 1 tool, Coca Cola pocket knife with bottle opener/cap lifter. Goins says it's a wire cutter. It has two tang stamps. A KASTOR (over) & BROS (over) NEW YORK and on the other side, COCA COLA (over) BOTTLING CO. The graphics are still very legible. I just wiped off the handles, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That is a really sweet knife Skip! Being an old Coca-Cola product only makes it more collectible and valuable!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very cool, Skip!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Reverand wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:44 pm That is a really sweet knife Skip! Being an old Coca-Cola product only makes it more collectible and valuable!
Thank you Reverand. ::tu::

Doc B wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:49 pm Very cool, Skip!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you Doc B. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

This one has to pretty old and obscure, at least in my world and in any of my books. It's a Danks & Leggett, Sheffield, (without the England).____Dave
Attachments
DSC01015.JPG
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

::tu:: ::tu:: great knife

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”