Old and Obscure Brands

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
ObsidianEdge

Re: Old and Obscure Brands

Post by ObsidianEdge »

If you mean the S&A, it's a slightly worn sheepsfoot on a two blade jack.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, here's a name that was in business for over 50 years, but I think is not quit a household name. I'd like to give it some attention here. It's a great knife. Very well made and Nice bone handles.

Hollinger,..........Freemont, Ohio......... Does anyone have this brand?
Attachments
003.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
Joe
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Bret & I actually have a sheath knife with the name "Hollinger, Fremont OH" on it. I will try to get a scan of it soon. I know that LG4 states c1919, with a high collectible rating. Goins says that some of their cutlery line was made by other manufacturers and lists the dates as 1905-1958. All I have is book info though..
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
trail

Post by trail »

Anybody else see this in the A.G. Russell online catalog?

"On a dealer's table at the 2006 Blade Show, we found and purchased an antique Hobo knife that was the most elegant I had ever seen. The mark was Ostdiek Co. Minneapolis, one I had never seen before. I have checked with many dealers and collectors in the pocketknife portion of this industry and have found no one who knows anything about that company. It is my belief that the knife was produced in the late 1800s or early 1900s. The profile was slim and the lines were extremely pleasing to behold..."

http://www.agrussell.com/a-g-russell-bo ... US-UX3ORH/
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Here is one I posted on another site, asking if anyone knew anything about the maker? I got no replies at all... I can't find anything that matches in my books & have come up empty even on the web. Looks like it should be an easy one, but ::shrug::

Looks to say F. GG & Sawyer, Sheffield. Its a pretty ivory handled knife that has nice thickness to the scales. It feels heavy for its size.
Attachments
Sawyer Sheffield.jpg
Sawyer back.jpg
Sawyer side.jpg
Sawyer Sheffield tang.jpg
Sawyer Sheffield tang2.jpg
sawyer2.jpg
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

trail wrote:Anybody else see this in the A.G. Russell online catalog?

"On a dealer's table at the 2006 Blade Show, we found and purchased an antique Hobo knife that was the most elegant I had ever seen. The mark was Ostdiek Co. Minneapolis, one I had never seen before. I have checked with many dealers and collectors in the pocketknife portion of this industry and have found no one who knows anything about that company. It is my belief that the knife was produced in the late 1800s or early 1900s. The profile was slim and the lines were extremely pleasing to behold..."

http://www.agrussell.com/a-g-russell-bo ... US-UX3ORH/
Do you think that he was refering to one like I posted in this thread ? If so , BRL only has one reference to it in his 4th ed. and lists it as 1908 - 1930's . It does look like 1920's Case bone & jigging .

Bob
trail

Post by trail »

Yes, Bob, I think he must have found one similar or identical to yours. He has had something made that he calls a "boxcar jack" that is patterned after the Ostdiek, and while it is not nearly as beautiful as yours it does have a family resemblance.
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Here is the Case slot knife from Levine's Website:
1.jpg
There's also a shot of the inside of both sides.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

ObsidianEdge wrote:Here is the Case slot knife from Levine's Website:

There's also a shot of the inside of both sides.
Looks like the only difference is the type of bone and the sabre grind .

Bob
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

knifegirl888 wrote:Bret & I actually have a sheath knife with the name "Hollinger, Fremont OH" on it. I will try to get a scan of it soon.
Thanks knifegirl, I'd like to see a pic. of the sheath knife. I read about my knife in Goins too. The name was under steam for quite a while. You'd think more of there knives would surface. Maybe they do and I'm just not under the right star. Thats happened before.
Your other knife is beautiful. You reckon that ivory adds weight?
Joe
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

FRJ wrote:
knifegirl888 wrote:Bret & I actually have a sheath knife with the name "Hollinger, Fremont OH" on it. I will try to get a scan of it soon.
Thanks knifegirl, I'd like to see a pic. of the sheath knife. I read about my knife in Goins too. The name was under steam for quite a while. You'd think more of there knives would surface. Maybe they do and I'm just not under the right star. Thats happened before.
Thank you. I don't really know how much weight the thicker ivory scales would add, probably nil? It just feels heavier than other knives of the same size. I actually carried it around for days after we got it, which I never do. I like it alot, even if it's an unknown.

Bret keeps all the sheath knives at his place still, so I will have to snag it from his house. We are currently looking to buy a house together, but we have to find one with enough room for two boys, a black lab, me, Bret, the hunting trophies & the knives. We need a big man/woman cave! :mrgreen:
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here's a few obscure ones:

Edward K.Tryon Philadelphia PA 2 blade stag.
M.Klaas England sportsman's knife.
Samuel Robinson Sheffield pruner.
E.M.Dickinson Sheffield sportsman's knife.
Wm.Congreve single blade ca 1841
Tonerini Scarperia(Italy)sportsman's knife.
Vom Cleff Germany stag scaled whittler.
Attachments
EKTryon01.jpg
MKlaasEngland1.jpg
MKlaasEngland1.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 7586 times
Samuel Robinson.JPG
Samuel Robinson.JPG (21.57 KiB) Viewed 7586 times
Stag0030.jpg
Stag0038.jpg
ToneriniStagFolderRightSide.JPG
ToneriniStagFolderRightSide.JPG (21.37 KiB) Viewed 7586 times
VomCleff01.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Here are 3 different blade patterns in JACK KNIFE BEN knives. Anybody have any of these?
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (16.2 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (15.71 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (15.81 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (16.43 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG (16.06 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG (20.62 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

K7K,

There are some cool ones in that bunch! We have a Vom Cleff, Lion cutlery. The main blade is broken though. ::disgust::

JKB,

I would love to have any one of those! We still have had no luck getting a Jack Knife Ben.
Attachments
Vom Cleff & Co Germany Lion Cutlery.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

knifegirl888 wrote:K7K,

There are some cool ones in that bunch! We have a Vom Cleff, Lion cutlery. The main blade is broken though.
The one I have the master blade has been re-profiled slightly and the pen blade is snapped at the tang.The only survivor is the manicure blade.Scales are perfect!
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I've got two Vom Cleff knives. The little 4-blade pearl handle I was calling a C. Lutters based on the reclining lion stamp but I guess I was wrong, but am corrected now. Thanks for posting that KG. The second is a VC&Co "fixed blade" corn knife with brass tubular handle and sheath.
2.jpg
6.jpg
vc2.jpg
vc3.jpg
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Cope

Post by Cope »

Great lookin' knives guys (& gal)!!!

K7K what can you tell me about the handle pins on the 5th down in your pics? Very unusual......
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Joe, that Hollinger is beautiful! I've never heard of that brand. Some really fine knives here, great thread trail, thanks. ::tu::
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Here's a couple more..

K & B Cutlery Co. (Kruse & Bahlman Hardware Co. Cincinnati, OH) & a Nippel.
Attachments
K & B Cutlery Co.jpg
Nippel.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Cope wrote:Great lookin' knives guys (& gal)!!!

K7K what can you tell me about the handle pins on the 5th down in your pics? Very unusual......
Those are called,"birds-eye rivets" and are usually found only on very old knives.I'm not sure of the exact reason for using them but I think it was to help prevent cracks from forming in the scales.
That particular knife manufacturer dates(according to BRL)from 1829-1843.It is interesting in that the stag is perfectly scaled to the size of the knife which is 2 1/2" long closed.The liners and bolsters are made as one piece rather than having the bolsters soldered and/or pinned on and there is a small piece of bone in the very end of the knife that I believe once acted as a blade stop when it was closed to prevent damage to the point although the blade(a coping pattern) doesn't look to that shortened from original.
I am amazed that it has survived all these years in such relatively good shape.Aside from the sharpening of the blade the only other problem is a small chip from the end of the pile side scale.I often wonder what tales it could tell if it could only speak.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

knife7knut wrote:
Cope wrote:Great lookin' knives guys (& gal)!!!

Those are called,"birds-eye rivets" and are usually found only on very old knives.I'm not sure of the exact reason for using them but I think it was to help prevent cracks from forming in the scales.
That particular knife manufacturer dates(according to BRL)from 1829-1843.It is interesting in that the stag is perfectly scaled to the size of the knife which is 2 1/2" long closed.The liners and bolsters are made as one piece rather than having the bolsters soldered and/or pinned on and there is a small piece of bone in the very end of the knife that I believe once acted as a blade stop when it was closed to prevent damage to the point although the blade(a coping pattern) doesn't look to that shortened from original.
I am amazed that it has survived all these years in such relatively good shape.Aside from the sharpening of the blade the only other problem is a small chip from the end of the pile side scale.I often wonder what tales it could tell if it could only speak.
It is an awesome piece! ::nod::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A few more:

First is a small half congress by R.Bunting &Sons circa 1850.
Second is a 4 blade pen marked Silver Steel with an owl on the reverse.
Third is marked W&G Vogel and sports a fingernail clipper in the end.
Fourth is marked A*1 Tyler Celebrated Cutlery and has ten blades and some very fancy file work.
Fifth is marked G&J Allen Celebrated Cutlery and has pique work(tiny silver pins inserted in the scales)and an unusual combination of a Wharncliffe and coping blade.
Attachments
RBunting.JPG
RBunting.JPG (20.9 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
SilverSteel3.JPG
SilverSteel3.JPG (25.98 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
WandGVogel1.JPG
WandGVogel1.JPG (11.87 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
Astar1TylerCelebrated Cutlery1.JPG
Astar1TylerCelebrated Cutlery1.JPG (29.1 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
Astar1TylerCelebratedCutlery2.JPG
Astar1TylerCelebratedCutlery2.JPG (27.49 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
GandJAllenSuperiorCutlery1.JPG
GandJAllenSuperiorCutlery1.JPG (29.77 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

JK Ben I like the one with the Nap. Punch
trail

Post by trail »

I'd call Lockwood Brothers of Sheffield a somewhat obscure brand since I found a few mentions of it in other posts but no pictures. My book shows dates of circa 1849 through 1993. The tang has the name and mark and the blade is stamped with the interesting phrase "Real Knife" and the word "Pampa", plus a picture of an ostrich-like bird. I can find no definition for "Pampa" (other than singular for pampas). My book states "Pampa, Rhea logo"; and a Rhea is an ostrich-like bird, so I don't know if that means some knives were stamped "Pampa" and others "Rhea" or just that they were stamped "Pampa" with a picture of a Rhea. This is the first old large knife I have acquired. I had heard many of these old-timers had powerful snap, and this one certainly does.
Attachments
lockwood_scaled.jpg
lockwood_tang.jpg
lockwood_blade.jpg
lockwood_blade.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

FRJ wrote:
Here is the sheath knife. It's 7 1/2" long.
Attachments
Hollinger Freemont Oh.jpg
Hollinger Freemont.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”