Old and Obscure Brands

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
tjmurphy

Re: Old and Obscure Brands

Post by tjmurphy »

I've got two Vom Cleff knives. The little 4-blade pearl handle I was calling a C. Lutters based on the reclining lion stamp but I guess I was wrong, but am corrected now. Thanks for posting that KG. The second is a VC&Co "fixed blade" corn knife with brass tubular handle and sheath.
2.jpg
6.jpg
vc2.jpg
vc3.jpg
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Cope

Post by Cope »

Great lookin' knives guys (& gal)!!!

K7K what can you tell me about the handle pins on the 5th down in your pics? Very unusual......
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Joe, that Hollinger is beautiful! I've never heard of that brand. Some really fine knives here, great thread trail, thanks. ::tu::
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Here's a couple more..

K & B Cutlery Co. (Kruse & Bahlman Hardware Co. Cincinnati, OH) & a Nippel.
Attachments
K & B Cutlery Co.jpg
Nippel.jpg
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Cope wrote:Great lookin' knives guys (& gal)!!!

K7K what can you tell me about the handle pins on the 5th down in your pics? Very unusual......
Those are called,"birds-eye rivets" and are usually found only on very old knives.I'm not sure of the exact reason for using them but I think it was to help prevent cracks from forming in the scales.
That particular knife manufacturer dates(according to BRL)from 1829-1843.It is interesting in that the stag is perfectly scaled to the size of the knife which is 2 1/2" long closed.The liners and bolsters are made as one piece rather than having the bolsters soldered and/or pinned on and there is a small piece of bone in the very end of the knife that I believe once acted as a blade stop when it was closed to prevent damage to the point although the blade(a coping pattern) doesn't look to that shortened from original.
I am amazed that it has survived all these years in such relatively good shape.Aside from the sharpening of the blade the only other problem is a small chip from the end of the pile side scale.I often wonder what tales it could tell if it could only speak.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

knife7knut wrote:
Cope wrote:Great lookin' knives guys (& gal)!!!

Those are called,"birds-eye rivets" and are usually found only on very old knives.I'm not sure of the exact reason for using them but I think it was to help prevent cracks from forming in the scales.
That particular knife manufacturer dates(according to BRL)from 1829-1843.It is interesting in that the stag is perfectly scaled to the size of the knife which is 2 1/2" long closed.The liners and bolsters are made as one piece rather than having the bolsters soldered and/or pinned on and there is a small piece of bone in the very end of the knife that I believe once acted as a blade stop when it was closed to prevent damage to the point although the blade(a coping pattern) doesn't look to that shortened from original.
I am amazed that it has survived all these years in such relatively good shape.Aside from the sharpening of the blade the only other problem is a small chip from the end of the pile side scale.I often wonder what tales it could tell if it could only speak.
It is an awesome piece! ::nod::
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A few more:

First is a small half congress by R.Bunting &Sons circa 1850.
Second is a 4 blade pen marked Silver Steel with an owl on the reverse.
Third is marked W&G Vogel and sports a fingernail clipper in the end.
Fourth is marked A*1 Tyler Celebrated Cutlery and has ten blades and some very fancy file work.
Fifth is marked G&J Allen Celebrated Cutlery and has pique work(tiny silver pins inserted in the scales)and an unusual combination of a Wharncliffe and coping blade.
Attachments
RBunting.JPG
RBunting.JPG (20.9 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
SilverSteel3.JPG
SilverSteel3.JPG (25.98 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
WandGVogel1.JPG
WandGVogel1.JPG (11.87 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Astar1TylerCelebrated Cutlery1.JPG
Astar1TylerCelebrated Cutlery1.JPG (29.1 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Astar1TylerCelebratedCutlery2.JPG
Astar1TylerCelebratedCutlery2.JPG (27.49 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
GandJAllenSuperiorCutlery1.JPG
GandJAllenSuperiorCutlery1.JPG (29.77 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

JK Ben I like the one with the Nap. Punch
trail

Post by trail »

I'd call Lockwood Brothers of Sheffield a somewhat obscure brand since I found a few mentions of it in other posts but no pictures. My book shows dates of circa 1849 through 1993. The tang has the name and mark and the blade is stamped with the interesting phrase "Real Knife" and the word "Pampa", plus a picture of an ostrich-like bird. I can find no definition for "Pampa" (other than singular for pampas). My book states "Pampa, Rhea logo"; and a Rhea is an ostrich-like bird, so I don't know if that means some knives were stamped "Pampa" and others "Rhea" or just that they were stamped "Pampa" with a picture of a Rhea. This is the first old large knife I have acquired. I had heard many of these old-timers had powerful snap, and this one certainly does.
Attachments
lockwood_scaled.jpg
lockwood_tang.jpg
lockwood_blade.jpg
lockwood_blade.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

FRJ wrote:
knifegirl888 wrote:Bret & I actually have a sheath knife with the name "Hollinger, Fremont OH" on it. I will try to get a scan of it soon.
Thanks knifegirl, I'd like to see a pic. of the sheath knife. I read about my knife in Goins too. The name was under steam for quite a while. You'd think more of there knives would surface. Maybe they do and I'm just not under the right star. Thats happened before.
Your other knife is beautiful. You reckon that ivory adds weight?
Here is the sheath knife. It's 7 1/2" long.
Attachments
Hollinger Freemont Oh.jpg
Hollinger Freemont.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Knifegirl, what a beauty of a knife. What a nice wide blade, and georgeous coffin handle. Looks to be an early design for sure. Would the tang be tapered?

Mike, thank you. It looks to be something you would like.
Joe
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

Quaker Cutlery Co. with a deep etch on the blades "Kanokla"
Attachments
Quaker Cutlery
Quaker Cutlery
Kanokla etch
Kanokla etch
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

Mcknight Cutlery Co. Wichita, Kansas.
Attachments
Mcknight
Mcknight
wichita 004.JPG
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

North American Cutlery Co. Wichita Kansas.
Attachments
North Americans
North Americans
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

These obscure brands, especially those North Americans, could they be considered the GEC's and Canal Street's of their time? Those babies look so well made and have the nicest bone handles.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

My pictures do not do them justice. The bone on the folding hunter is Beautiful. Thank you. Mark.
trail

Post by trail »

Here's what we have so far:

Bower
United Cutlery
Sorge
Coca-Cola
W. Bingham
Kamp Cutlery
Valley Forge
Ostdiek
A.E. Fuller
S.& A.
Hollinger
F.GG & Sawyer
Case
Edward K.Tryon
M.Klaas
Samuel Robinson
E.M.Dickinson
Wm.Congreve
Tonerini Scarperia
Vom Cleff
Jack Knife Ben
K.& B. Cutlery
Nippel
R.Bunting & Sons
Silver Steel
W&G Vogel
A*1 Tyler Celebrated Cutlery
G&J Allen Superior Cutlery
Lockwood Brothers
Quaker Cutlery
Mcknight Cutlery
North American Cutlery

If I missed any, my humble apologies. It's been a pleasure looking at every one.

I'd say we're off to a good start. Still fourteen-hundred or so to go before we have all of them in the book. Anybody have a Dunham, Carrigan & Hayden? What about a Severin R. Droeschers? Or an EKCO?
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

FRJ wrote:Knifegirl, what a beauty of a knife. What a nice wide blade, and georgeous coffin handle. Looks to be an early design for sure. Would the tang be tapered?

Mike, thank you. It looks to be something you would like.

Thanks, FRJ. I agree with Mike. Your knife is a beauty also!

It doesn't appear to be tapered. It was a cool flea market find.

I am still debating whether it's stag. It kinda reminds me of winterbottom bone?
Attachments
Hollinger side.jpg
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

knife-nut wrote:Quaker Cutlery Co. with a deep etch on the blades "Kanokla"
These are really sweet! Do you know anything more about Quaker Cutlery?
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

knifegirl888 wrote:
knife-nut wrote:Quaker Cutlery Co. with a deep etch on the blades "Kanokla"
These are really sweet! Do you know anything more about Quaker Cutlery?
I've never found any info on Quaker Cutlery, but I found a listing in Goins for Hockaday Hardware Co. 1902-1904 in Wichita Kansas that used the trademark "Kanokla" with the etch of a Indian. I think Kanokla was a combination of kansas and oklahoma. ::shrug:: Mark.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

I just looked that up, only two years in business. There can't be too many out there...
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I've found 3 Quakers in 40 plus years of collecting. I hunt for any knives from Kansas, especially Wichita since I was born and raised there. I don't think any were ever manufactured here, but there were several companies that were headquartered in kansas that sold knives with their own stampings. Hard saying who actually made them. Still a lot of fun too collect. :lol:
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

knife-nut wrote:I've found 3 Quakers in 40 plus years of collecting. I hunt for any knives from Kansas, especially Wichita since I was born and raised there. I don't think any were ever manufactured here, but there were several companies that were headquartered in kansas that sold knives with their own stampings. Hard saying who actually made them. Still a lot of fun too collect. :lol:
I understand the "local" aspect of knife collecting, for sure. Being from Western Pennsylvania, I am attracted to the Pennsylvania brands. I love the old Case's, Queen's, Schatt & Morgan's but the more obscure ones like Hollingsworth, Kane Cutlery, etc. really capture my heart. I even like the Ohio ones like the Hollinger, Freemont, OH that I pictured because I am only about 40 miles from the Ohio state line.

Quaker Cutlery actually had a Pennsylvania sounding name, and I was curious.

I actually bought Bret a Cutino for Christmas. I know that Kansas City had some nice knives for sale. ::nod::

The North American folding hunter is gorgeous. It certainly looks extremely well made. Bret cherishes his big hunters. We have a Winchester 1920 and a couple of Cattaraugus King of the Woods. He is always on the lookout for knives like those!
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

Gotta love a folding hunter! ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Here's one stamped Fidelity Knife Co. New York. Goins says a Simmons Hardware trademark c.1939. Not near as nice as most of the others posted so far, but a different stamp.
Dan
Attachments
IMGP0619.JPG
IMGP0621.JPG
Dan

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”