Antique Quill Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
combolox

Re: Antique Quill Knives

Post by combolox »

Longblade,
I am assuming J. Bryant was a Sheffield Maker, but I don't know for sure.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

On the previous page Wayne posted a beautiful knife by Baxter & Co. This one is made by Plum of Bristol England, the handles are carved ivory and very similar to Wayne's knife.

The back spring is covered with a decorative sterling silver strip just like some silver fruit knives! It even has an oval shield!
Also the brass liners are cut out exactly like the handles are, made for the wealthy in it's day.
Attachments
94db2dc1-1c27-4f3e-b545-bbdca75215ba-2-1.jpg
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Dimitri ::tu:: ::drool:: ... Elaborate & fancy to say the least - I guess the ivory was dyed green?? Not sure I have ever seen dyed ivory ::hmm:: ... Other than the current conservation measures to dye or paint living elephant tusks pink to protect them from ^#{% poachers ::nod:: .... Anyway Baxter & Co based on those 2 examples from you and Wayne no doubt made some really nice high end quills with that classic Sheffield exhibition quality!!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thank you Lee ::handshake::
Yes, during the period this knife was made it was fashionable to dye the ivory green.

Like your observations Lee keep them coming! :D
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice Dimitri, unusual, I like it!!! I have a couple I'll get them out tomorrow and take a couple photos, but they are plain ones.
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Bill, I like the unusual one's too!
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

I believe I have posted the NY knife before on another thread?
Attachments
A.B.
A.B.
O.D. Gray
O.D. Gray
New York
New York
Robenson USA
Robenson USA
20181105_075226.jpg
Bill
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Miller Bro's, Bill, those are just awesome little knives. That green tone is amazing the those of yours Bill are just great. Worth collecting. ::tu:: ::nod::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Bill - classical American quills ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

BTW - your quill stamped AB is by far my favorite - In case you didn’t know that is Aaron Burkinshaw ::nod:: 8) ::tu:: .. I am quite fond of his knives !!!!

Post by BWT »

Thanks doglegg and Lee. Thanks for the info Lee, I had never found information on AB or OD Gray. Goins has quite a bit about Alan Burkinshaw!!! ::handshake::
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

doglegg wrote:Miller Bro's, Bill, those are just awesome little knives. That green tone is amazing the those of yours Bill are just great. Worth collecting. ::tu:: ::nod::
Thanks for looking :)
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Bill, nice Quill knives! 8)
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Dimitri
Bill
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This little Robeson has been on and off Ebay for a year or so. Do not recall seeing it sell. It's not there at the moment, but it might re-appear in the near future.

It certainly looks like a quill knife, but given the time period in which Robeson could have manufactured this, 1900 to 1916, I'm not sure they meant it to be used to trim quill feathers.

Were quills still being used at the turn of the 19th century?

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Robeson Quill.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice knives everyone;especially that fancy one Dimitri! Bill the frame of that Robeson looks for all the world like the George Washington knife Camillus made to celebrate the 200th anniversary of his birth. The blade is different though. Here is a pic in case you don't know which one I'm talking about.
Attachments
Camillus3LineGeoWashingtonKnife 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks for the info Ray. I have no idea, that's why I put a photo of the tang. It seems to be an old Robenson, has no snap, not sure of the handle material, hopefully not celluloid?
Bill
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is, indeed, Robeson’s version of the George Washington Commemorative knife.

I’ll post a photo of the paper Robeson provided with the knife when I have access to my PC.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Charlie
Bill
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here's mine.

But, I think I got the date wrong on that little white card.

Charlie
Attachments
RobDisplay19.jpg
RobDisplay19-2.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very interesting Charlie ::tu:: ... The handle just based on photos appears to be cracked ice celluloid and not MOP - is that correct??

You also asked above about the history of quill pens as a writing implement. I believe that steel NIB pens were first developed in the early 1800s though were probably not commonly used by many until the later 1800s... Based on that I believe that quill knives for most cutleries ended production by the mid to later 1800s but at that time were considered more a desk knife or a pen knife - and were for the most not made after the turn of the century in that style pen knife from my understanding (of course there may have been a few still made in early 1900s but I have no examples or knowledge as to which manufacturers) ... also true quill knives had one flat side and the other convex in shape... if you read Dimitri’s intro on page 1 it is very informative!!

As an interesting side note Miller Bros made steel NIBs for pens. In fact during their later years in the 1900s Miller Bros stopped making many knives and just focused on the steel NIBs for pens as their main product.

Post by knife7knut »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Here's mine.

But, I think I got the date wrong on that little white card.

Charlie
Charlie: I believe the Camillus version was introduced in 1931. I also have a larger version made by B&B. Here is a picture of both of them together.
Attachments
Quills1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

George Washington was born in 1732, so the knives would have been commemorating that event.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

Just got this early J. Rodgers & Sons fixed blade quill knife with original sheath. Any idea how old it might be?
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That's a cool Rodgers fixed blade quill ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Great looking ebony handle and very nice to have the sheath as well!! I haven't seen too many fixed blade quills but I like it!! Hard to date it but I'm "guessing" mid to later 1800s - I don't think too many quills made it into the 1900s with the development of steel NIB pens...

Post by Mason »

58chevy348 wrote:Just got this early J. Rodgers & Sons fixed blade quill knife with original sheath. Any idea how old it might be?
Joseph Rodgers called this model a "Desk Knife" and it would date to the late 1800s. Enclosed are a few similar Rodger's examples from 1897 along with a picture of an ink eraser also from Joseph Rogers which would have accompanied your knife.
Attachments
Rodgers Desk sets 1897 (2) (762x900).jpg
Rodgers Ink Eraser (1004x1200).jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”