S & R by napanoch

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

S & R by napanoch

Post by stockman »

This is a Sears Roebuck& Co Chicago tang stamp on the mark side Napanoch Knife Co NY stamped on pile Pen blade S&R Co Chicago mark side pile side same as master blade. 3 1/2" closed gigged bone worn smooth. Would like any info that you know.

Stockman[/code]
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Napanoch made knifes for the Wilbert Cutlery company Chicago ( these knives were sold by SEARs.) Now Wilbert also got knives from Empire knife CT and even others. after a while Sears contracted themselves ( actually Wilbert was like it really being them anyway. ) What is unusual is that your knife also has the Nap tang. This also happened on occasion with a Wilbert it would have both names which identified it and did away with whether it was an Empire contract or Nap or someone else. In any event it makes your knife quite desirable. That is also why it is maked that way. Contracts were not unusual but having both markings is. This happened through the years sometimes you will find a Craftsman or other Sears which also carries a Schrade mark. Schrade contacted for Sears for many years. I hope this helps. LT PS that candle or tear drop jack is a definite Nap pattern and that is nap jigging.
upnorth

More Napanoch traits??

Post by upnorth »

I came across a couple of knives that may have some Napanoch DNA. A Wilbert EO Jack, "WILBERT CUTLERY CO." the only markings, on both blades.
Also kinda looks like a Schrade.
And second, a Winchester, with a NAPANOCH style punch. From the few samples in my HJ collection, it looks like Winchester used the NAP punch for a while before going to a simpler one that was easier to manufacture.
The markings are WINCHESTER over -trade mark- at front, and 2954 on the rear of the tang. The punch has a patent number that appears wrong! It says PAT'D over 1-29-07; but the correct patent date for the CARMAN punch is 7-04-08!!?? I have a copy of the patent.
I'd love further information on either or both, if anyone has some, thanks!!
Attachments
WinNapHJ.jpg
WinNapHJ.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
WilbertEO.jpg
WilbertEO.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

upnorth and stockman, those are really nice knives. ::tu::
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Hello Upnorth, I have a nap tool knife the punch patent date is 1-29-07 like yours is marked, also all tools are marked likewise. The punch look exactly like yours. ???

Stockman
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

that is a nice knife stockman,

but WN -that wilbet Ez open is just great, beautiful knife, they sure don't make them like that anymore, about how thick is the spine on the master blade?
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Here's a pic of the backsprings on a ruler, with the masters open. Hope that gives you the size you are looking for.
I've compared it with a contemporary S&M. I guess the S&M is a close as a modern knife gets to the old Wilbert. It's got ATS-34, so the steel is different (better?). It isn't an easy opener, but they both have half stops and good snap. They are both nicely hafted, so they feel good in the pocket and the hand.
But overall, the older knife has a certain look and feel that makes it preferrable. It's sort of intangible. It's something we lovers of older knives just "know"!
Attachments
Wilbert spine.jpg
WilbertnSchatt.jpg
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

P.S. a couple of clicks on the picture gives you a nice big look!! :shock:
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

P.P.S. nice knife stockman!!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”