Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Ivoryman

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by Ivoryman »

Challenge Cut Co somewhere early 20th Century.
Attachments
thumbnail_20201122_115209.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:50 pm Challenge Cut Co somewhere early 20th Century.
::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Iman, that is a beautiful old Challenge ::tu::

Found this E.K.Tryon 3" gunstock last week.
Attachments
IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2904.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find! I’m partial to gunstock patterns. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John ::tu::
Roger
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

A beauty, John!
Ike
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Ike, Roger, Ken, Thank you ::tu:: ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I believe that this pocket knife qualifies for this topic. This is a very recent addition to my all metal handle knives collection. It's a, THE W & H CO. - USA - NEWARK NJ, single blade pocket knife. According to GOINS, "c 1870-1959 - Whitehead & Hoag was founded in 1870. They went out of business about 1959. This was an advertising specialties firm; the knives were made for them by a variety of cutlery manufacturers." But with the advertising on the handles of the pocket knife, the date of manufacture can be narrowed down to circa 1930. There is a serial number(?) stamped into the handle. It looks like the last digit was originally stamped a "2" followed by the stamping of a "3" on top of it. It measures just a hair under 2 1/4" closed and just a hair over 3 1/4" open. It is completely magnetic. I don't collect advertising pocket knives per se, but besides being all metal, it advertises a bank during the depression era and I also have a direct connection with the town/city of Poughkeepsie, but not with a bank. It needed a bit of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

JohnR wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:33 pm Iman, that is a beautiful old Challenge ::tu::

Found this E.K.Tryon 3" gunstock last week.

Thanks, but that Tryon is no slouch, love that brand, have a couple and they are sweet after all these years. Yours is gorgeous. Wow.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 am I believe that this pocket knife qualifies for this topic. This is a very recent addition to my all metal handle knives collection. It's a, THE W & H CO. - USA - NEWARK NJ, single blade pocket knife. According to GOINS, "c 1870-1959 - Whitehead & Hoag was founded in 1870. They went out of business about 1959. This was an advertising specialties firm; the knives were made for them by a variety of cutlery manufacturers." But with the advertising on the handles of the pocket knife, the date of manufacture can be narrowed down to circa 1930. There is a serial number(?) stamped into the handle. It looks like the last digit was originally stamped a "2" followed by the stamping of a "3" on top of it. It measures just a hair under 2 1/4" closed and just a hair over 3 1/4" open. It is completely magnetic. I don't collect advertising pocket knives per se, but besides being all metal, it advertises a bank during the depression era and I also have a direct connection with the town/city of Poughkeepsie, but not with a bank. It needed a bit of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
I like that knife, Skip! ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 am I believe that this pocket knife qualifies for this topic. This is a very recent addition to my all metal handle knives collection. It's a, THE W & H CO. - USA - NEWARK NJ, single blade pocket knife. According to GOINS, "c 1870-1959 - Whitehead & Hoag was founded in 1870. They went out of business about 1959. This was an advertising specialties firm; the knives were made for them by a variety of cutlery manufacturers." But with the advertising on the handles of the pocket knife, the date of manufacture can be narrowed down to circa 1930. There is a serial number(?) stamped into the handle. It looks like the last digit was originally stamped a "2" followed by the stamping of a "3" on top of it. It measures just a hair under 2 1/4" closed and just a hair over 3 1/4" open. It is completely magnetic. I don't collect advertising pocket knives per se, but besides being all metal, it advertises a bank during the depression era and I also have a direct connection with the town/city of Poughkeepsie, but not with a bank. It needed a bit of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Skip, I have the same knife but with "National Iron Co., Duluth Minn."stamped on the scale. Nice little knife.____Dave
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:32 am I.....
Thank you Ike.🍻

djknife13 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:55 pm Skip.....
Thank you Dave.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I believe that this pocket knife qualifies for this topic. This is the most recent arrival to my all metal handle knives collection. It's another, THE W & H CO. - USA - NEWARK NJ, single blade pocket knife. According to the GOINS book, "c 1870-1959 Whitehead & Hoag was founded in 1870. They went out of business about 1959. This was an advertising specialties firm; the knives were made for them by a variety of cutlery manufacturers." It measures just a hair under 2 1/4" closed and just a hair over 3 1/4" open. It is completely magnetic. It needed a bit of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of an article I found in "The Dairy Record" from 1922.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
1922 - "The Dairy Record."
1922 - "The Dairy Record."
image.jpeg (28.86 KiB) Viewed 2549 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife fits the requirements of the topic. This is the most recent arrival to my all metal handle knives collection. It's another, THE W & H CO. - USA - NEWARK NJ, single blade pocket knife. According to the GOINS book, "c 1870-1959 Whitehead & Hoag was founded in 1870. They went out of business about 1959. This was an advertising specialties firm; the knives were made for them by a variety of cutlery manufacturers." It measures 2 1/2" closed, not including the ring and 4 3/8" open, not including the ring. It needed a bit of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last two pictures are of the "fob" that was attached to the pocket knife when I received it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Nice old pieces of history there Skip ::tu::
Thanks for sharing.stay warm and safe out there
JP
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:57 pm Nice.....
Thank you JP.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Here is another old and rare one. Also, this pocket knife got added to my all metal handle pocket knives collection. It's another, THE W & H CO. - USA - NEWARK NJ, single blade pocket knife. According to the GOINS book, "c 1870-1959 Whitehead & Hoag was founded in 1870. They went out of business about 1959. This was an advertising specialties firm; the knives were made for them by a variety of cutlery manufacturers." It measures just a hair under 2 1/4" closed and just a hair over 3 3/4" open. *** I posted the wrong "open" length for the other two similar pocket knives, also on this page. ALL three are just a hair over 3 3/4" open. *** It needed a bit of cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
KAW

Post by KAW »

I've posted this one before in other threads, but believe it belongs too... is certainly old...
Northfield Knife Co. Conn. Hawkbill with stag handle with a crude endcap, steel pins & rat-tail bolster that's integral with liner.

'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

KAW wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:14 pm I've posted this one before in other threads, but believe it belongs too... is certainly old...
Northfield Knife Co. Conn. Hawkbill with stag handle with a crude endcap, steel pins & rat-tail bolster that's integral with liner.

Awesome old knife Ken._____Dave
KAW

Post by KAW »

This one definitely qualifies on both accounts... its old (19th c.) & rare... in fact may be one-of-a-kind...
Collins & Co. Hartford Conn. Known at one time to be one of the largest axe makers in the world, they also made swords. The consensus of the staff at the museum there is that this knife was made by cutting down one of their swords and added a custom jigged bone handle believed to be converted before the turn of the 20th century. BTW, one of the factory buildings (actually in Collinsville, CT & shut down in 1966) is now an antique shop... one of my favorites. Oh... the sheath is an old handmade one probably made for the knife... but not from the factory.

'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

ROBBINS HDWE.CO., 1800's. Levine and Price show a Robbins, Clark, and Biddle Hdwe. in Philadelphia, 1837-? Don't know if Robbins was before, after, or related. 3-1/2", brass liners, pick bone, all four tangs stamped. Pretty snappy for an oldie. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2212.jpg
IMG_2213.jpg
IMG_2215.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ken, Ridgegrass you two set a high standard! ::nod:: ::nod::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice, Ridgegrass! ::tu::
Dan
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks boys. Any thoughts on ROBBINS ? J.O'. Found a ROBBINS in Alabama but the stated in 1970. No way!
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

New York Knife Co made knives for Biddle Hardware, I have a NY Knife Co congress with the early pick bone that looks very similar to your knife.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”