Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Ivoryman

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by Ivoryman »

This one's not that old, but I think it might be sort of rare. The guy who sold it to me at the OKCA show last week didn't know anything about it, he sent me to another guy who was some expert supposed to know. He didn't know jack, never heard of it. He sent me to another guy, no info. Finally went to Charlie Campagna and Barry of Gunstock Jacks and they didn't know either, but Charlie had the knife encyclopedia and pulled it out and looked it up. Even the encyclopedia was calling it something slightly different than is on the tang. But it's supposed to be 1945 year. Can't find a crack or chip in the bones, good Rogers color, sweet snap and solid no wobble open. Very stout springs. Something about the stylf of the WW2 era knives gets me. I have a few from the 30's and 40's and love them, they have something. Great era of American manufacturing and design

DEPEND-ON
MET CUT CO
N.Y.
Attachments
WP_20190417_108.jpg
WP_20190417_119.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

" oh, I don't know where you come from, and I don't know where you been, but it really doesn't matter...…" Glad I don't have to know it's pedigree to like it. Iman I like that knife every time I see it. Classic beauty. Takes me back to a slower time. A time when things were not as shallow. I really like that knife. ::nod:: ::handshake::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice, Ivoryman! ::tu::
Dan
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Trying to make sense of that tang stamp, which I have never seen, makes me wonder if "MET" does not stand for "Metropolitan".

And there was a Metropolitan Cutlery Co in New York City from 1914 until 1951.

They were importers of German made knives.

Goins lists them in some detail, but does not link them to that tang stamp.

"DEPEND ON ME" would have made more sense, but that is obviously not how it reads.

Nice looking knife. I like it!

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks all for the comments. RobesonaRme, first time I read the stamp I thought it was short for Metropolitan Cut Co because it doesn't say DEPEND ON ME TOO, as the encyclopedia had one listed. Didn't make sense. Anything you know would be great to hear, but you echoed what everyone else said. Consensus on that I guess. Here's a shot of the secondary stamp. Thanks again.
Attachments
WP_20190415_048.jpg
WP_20190426_012.jpg
WP_20190426_033.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's one from France.

Is anyone familiar with this stamp?
Attachments
DSCN7488.JPG
DSCN7507.JPG
DSCN7508.JPG
DSCN7510.JPG
DSCN7516.JPG
DSCN7522.JPG
DSCN7524.JPG
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Neat old knife, Joe! ::tu:: I have no idea on the stamp, other than the English translation is "the wild sheep".
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dan.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very cool and unique Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Trying to figure out exactly what it was used for based on that combination of blades ::hmm:: ..

Post by Ivoryman »

Quite a looker FRJ, great old piece, never seen anything like it, thanks for showing.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wabash Cutlery Terre Haute IN
Attachments
20190430_204304.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Tang stamped:
T.H. ADV. CO.
TERRE HAUTE
IND.
I believe this one was made by Wabash Cutlery Terre Haute IN
Attachments
20190430_204328.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Some great old cutlery being shown here! ::tu::
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Don't know if this belongs here. The guy I got it from said it was most likely 1870s-80s, I'm not so sure. Anonymous maker, but I don't think it was the maker's first knife. Steel bolsters and liners. The ring on the end is filed out of the spring. It's ground on one side and flat on the other, like a draw knife or a broadaxe. I think It may be for some carpentry function. The guy I got it from said it was just easier to make that way. Judging from the craftsmanship on this knife I don't think "easy" was real high on the maker's list. Any thoughts?
Bruce
Attachments
shopmade folder 1.JPG
shopmade folder 2.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Brian, i love the Depend-On! ::tu::
Good thing I didn't see it at the OKCA show, I would have tried to pay you too much for that knife! ::nod::
It is a beauty! ::drool::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Berryb wrote:Don't know if this belongs here. The guy I got it from said it was most likely 1870s-80s, I'm not so sure. Anonymous maker, but I don't think it was the maker's first knife. Steel bolsters and liners. The ring on the end is filed out of the spring. It's ground on one side and flat on the other, like a draw knife or a broadaxe. I think It may be for some carpentry function. The guy I got it from said it was just easier to make that way. Judging from the craftsmanship on this knife I don't think "easy" was real high on the maker's list. Any thoughts?
Bruce
Bruce, I believe I have a knife that looks like a cousin to yours except maybe a little more crude, like someone was practicing on mine and then built yours. It has the same blade and very similar handle. If I can figure out where I put it I'll post a picture. ___Dave
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

galvanic1882 wrote:Here is a odd one, marked on the main blade tang is Gilt-Edge Warranted. There is a patent date on the frame Nov 11,1884. Any help on what it was used for and who made it would be great. Mike
I posted this knife while ago on this thread asking if anyone knew the purpose and who made it. I think the last thought was from Dimitri that it was a whip handle. Well I found this one on ebay and it looks like it is some kind of whip handle but for seaman?? Not sure about that but check out the sellers description. Mike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1800S-SEA ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
Gilt1.jpg
Gilt2.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I can't imagine what a seaman would need a whip for. I think perhaps the seller is confused. A leather Macrame tail? ::shrug:: Looks like Dimitri was on the money as usual. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

I agree with that and think the seller is wrong also. He has some old stuff that look good but not the knife in my opinion. I of course do like the darn knife! Might just go for it.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I picked this up at the North Star Blade Collectors meeting. I believe it's called a RAPID Rolling Lock SZL knife from the 1930's made in Germany, if the information I read on the internet is correct. I'm pretty sure it's rare and have never seen one before this, nor have the guys from my club. It's total tang stamp is PAT.ANG. SZL Rostfrei and RAPID deep stamped on the bolster. The scales are thick stag. You open and close it with the thin lever and the other thicker one id knurled on the back side and forms a guard when open and blocks the thin lever when closed. It has no nail nick and the blade closed completely into the handle. The well used Marshall Wells hawkbill was tossed in to the deal as a bonus. ___Dave
Attachments
guns and Rapid rolling lock SZL 014.JPG
guns and Rapid rolling lock SZL 015.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting, unusual, and with nice looking stag! I’ve not seen one like it either. Nice find. ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Great knife Dave ::tu::
Lloyd
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

djknife13 wrote:I picked this up at the North Star Blade Collectors meeting. I believe it's called a RAPID Rolling Lock SZL knife from the 1930's made in Germany, if the information I read on the internet is correct. I'm pretty sure it's rare and have never seen one before this, nor have the guys from my club. It's total tang stamp is PAT.ANG. SZL Rostfrei and RAPID deep stamped on the bolster. The scales are thick stag. You open and close it with the thin lever and the other thicker one id knurled on the back side and forms a guard when open and blocks the thin lever when closed. It has no nail nick and the blade closed completely into the handle. The well used Marshall Wells hawkbill was tossed in to the deal as a bonus. ___Dave
Dave Minnesota must be the "oak island" for knife collectors. You just keep pulling out treasures from your 'little' knife club. Even the throw in are good. Congrats.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Yeah, Thanks guys. Minnesota is a great place to buy, but a lousy place to sell. At gun shows you can put out a $100 knife, price it at $50 to $75, and guys will ask you if you'll take $10. Many of our club members, which used to be about 100 strong, have passed away and we are down to about 15. I think most clubs are dealing with this problem. One of our older founding members has been buying collections from members widows and passing them on to the few of us members that are left. It's been a chance for me to get some knives I've always wanted but couldn't afford at a prices I actually can handle. It's kind of scary thinking about there being any future to collecting knives or guns, but we might as well enjoy what is left of our hobby. ____Dave
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Edward K Tryon Philadelphia PA, with a little Tryon etch still visible.
Attachments
WP_20190526_060.jpg
WP_20190526_067.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”