Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by djknife13 »

Berryb wrote:Don't know if this belongs here. The guy I got it from said it was most likely 1870s-80s, I'm not so sure. Anonymous maker, but I don't think it was the maker's first knife. Steel bolsters and liners. The ring on the end is filed out of the spring. It's ground on one side and flat on the other, like a draw knife or a broadaxe. I think It may be for some carpentry function. The guy I got it from said it was just easier to make that way. Judging from the craftsmanship on this knife I don't think "easy" was real high on the maker's list. Any thoughts?
Bruce
Bruce, I believe I have a knife that looks like a cousin to yours except maybe a little more crude, like someone was practicing on mine and then built yours. It has the same blade and very similar handle. If I can figure out where I put it I'll post a picture. ___Dave
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

galvanic1882 wrote:Here is a odd one, marked on the main blade tang is Gilt-Edge Warranted. There is a patent date on the frame Nov 11,1884. Any help on what it was used for and who made it would be great. Mike
I posted this knife while ago on this thread asking if anyone knew the purpose and who made it. I think the last thought was from Dimitri that it was a whip handle. Well I found this one on ebay and it looks like it is some kind of whip handle but for seaman?? Not sure about that but check out the sellers description. Mike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1800S-SEA ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
Gilt1.jpg
Gilt2.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I can't imagine what a seaman would need a whip for. I think perhaps the seller is confused. A leather Macrame tail? ::shrug:: Looks like Dimitri was on the money as usual. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

I agree with that and think the seller is wrong also. He has some old stuff that look good but not the knife in my opinion. I of course do like the darn knife! Might just go for it.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I picked this up at the North Star Blade Collectors meeting. I believe it's called a RAPID Rolling Lock SZL knife from the 1930's made in Germany, if the information I read on the internet is correct. I'm pretty sure it's rare and have never seen one before this, nor have the guys from my club. It's total tang stamp is PAT.ANG. SZL Rostfrei and RAPID deep stamped on the bolster. The scales are thick stag. You open and close it with the thin lever and the other thicker one id knurled on the back side and forms a guard when open and blocks the thin lever when closed. It has no nail nick and the blade closed completely into the handle. The well used Marshall Wells hawkbill was tossed in to the deal as a bonus. ___Dave
Attachments
guns and Rapid rolling lock SZL 014.JPG
guns and Rapid rolling lock SZL 015.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting, unusual, and with nice looking stag! I’ve not seen one like it either. Nice find. ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Great knife Dave ::tu::
Lloyd
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

djknife13 wrote:I picked this up at the North Star Blade Collectors meeting. I believe it's called a RAPID Rolling Lock SZL knife from the 1930's made in Germany, if the information I read on the internet is correct. I'm pretty sure it's rare and have never seen one before this, nor have the guys from my club. It's total tang stamp is PAT.ANG. SZL Rostfrei and RAPID deep stamped on the bolster. The scales are thick stag. You open and close it with the thin lever and the other thicker one id knurled on the back side and forms a guard when open and blocks the thin lever when closed. It has no nail nick and the blade closed completely into the handle. The well used Marshall Wells hawkbill was tossed in to the deal as a bonus. ___Dave
Dave Minnesota must be the "oak island" for knife collectors. You just keep pulling out treasures from your 'little' knife club. Even the throw in are good. Congrats.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Yeah, Thanks guys. Minnesota is a great place to buy, but a lousy place to sell. At gun shows you can put out a $100 knife, price it at $50 to $75, and guys will ask you if you'll take $10. Many of our club members, which used to be about 100 strong, have passed away and we are down to about 15. I think most clubs are dealing with this problem. One of our older founding members has been buying collections from members widows and passing them on to the few of us members that are left. It's been a chance for me to get some knives I've always wanted but couldn't afford at a prices I actually can handle. It's kind of scary thinking about there being any future to collecting knives or guns, but we might as well enjoy what is left of our hobby. ____Dave
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Edward K Tryon Philadelphia PA, with a little Tryon etch still visible.
Attachments
WP_20190526_060.jpg
WP_20190526_067.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Iman, I've seen it before but that doesn't keep me from enjoying it every time. A very sweet knife. Lovely bones. ::nod::
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Like that one. I-man ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks doglegg, and James. ::tu::
I picked up this Challenge Cut Co with the long shield and really liked the rat/mouse tail bolsters. The Edward K Tryon bolsters are rat tail to me, or the size of the rats around here. Either way I love the style and old bones and had these two together to compare so threw them down and took a shot. Think they are both around a hundred years old-ish or sometime around that period. The Challenge is tight as a new knife, it road-runners, has great snap, no wobble. Impeccable for one that old. I have GEC and Cases that are less than 5 years old and they wobble a bit already. Not the Challenge. Rock solid and I fell for the bones.
Attachments
WP_20190529_024.jpg
WP_20190529_037.jpg
WP_20190529_030.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Iman when your knives are on display I should be green with envy but usually I turn blue as they leave me breathless. You could be a grave robber as you have so many great bones. ::mdm:: ::handshake::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

2 more Wabash Cutlery
Attachments
20190807_201719.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

W.Bingham
Celluloid jack knife
Attachments
20190808_205619.jpg
David
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old W Wright - Sheffield.
Attachments
DSCN8964.JPG
DSCN9009.JPG
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Lovely Bingham, David, don't see too many of those (myself anyway)! ::tu::
That is a beauty, Joe! ::tu:: I assume the handle covers are real tortoise shell?
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

danno50 wrote:Lovely Bingham, David, don't see too many of those (myself anyway)! ::tu::
That is a beauty, Joe! ::tu:: I assume the handle covers are real tortoise shell?
Thanks Dan. I don't see to many either.
Only the second one I own.
David
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Posted this in another thread already but it's one of the oldest, and probably one of the rarest, knives that I have.

W.H. Wragg Sheffield
Attachments
20190707_134307.jpg
20190707_140224.jpg
IMG_20190707_134011.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

michaelspayth wrote:Posted this in another thread already but it's one of the oldest, and probably one of the rarest, knives that I have.

W.H. Wragg Sheffield
That's pretty cool.
David
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice old Bingham, David. I might have 1 around here.

Thank you, Dan. Yes, the covers are tortoise.

Nice looking Wragg, michaelspayth.
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

michaelspayth wrote:Posted this in another thread already but it's one of the oldest, and probably one of the rarest, knives that I have.

W.H. Wragg Sheffield
Very nice and interesting Michael, thanks for sharing!!
Bill
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice ones David, Joe and Micheal.

Hard to keep those beetles out of horn that old. Great knife.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Picked up 2 more Wabash Cutlery.
One in a green swirl celluloid.
The other one has George Washington and Abe Lincoln on the pile side. It has a KKK clansman on the mark side.
I won't show that in this thread.
Attachments
20191207_212955.jpg
David

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”