Ulster Knife.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ulster Knife.

Post by orvet »

It seems lately that I am seeing a lot of Ulsters that I like & I have been buying some.
Is there a way to put a particular Ulster into a date range from the tang stamp? Were all the knives made between 1900 & 1941 marked with either "DWIGHT DIVINE & SON" or "SONS"?

Does anyone know what tang stamps were used & when they were used?
How did the tang stamps change after Albert Baer bought Ulster in 1941?

I have a old Girl Scout knife that is stamped "ULSTER/DWIGHT DIVINE/&SONS on the mark side of the main blade. The letters are sans-serif. The pile side is stamped M301. The mark side of the screwdriver blade is stamped on the mark side tang: ULSTER/KNIFE/CO. Those letters are with serif.

I have some later Ulster Old Timers. A 50OT that is stamped; ULSTER/USA in sans-serif letters. I have a couple 58OTs that is stamped: ULSTER/USA/58OT in sans-serif type.

Can anyone help me with a list of tang stamps & the approximate dates they were used?

LT, where you?

Thanks,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hi Dale please check out the other Ulster thread page one then if you could just let me know specificly what you need to know. I have a pic of two knives DD sans seriffs and then the next regular Ulster posted plus some comments I sure will try to answer what I can but I believe some of it is in those postings . Please let me know. Hope you are well LT. PS here is a pic from GOINS 2 which shows the early tang markings . Some ot the dates do not look right but that may be when they started using them not ended . These are not the later ones but may be of interest.
Attachments
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG (26.46 KiB) Viewed 9376 times
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks LT.
That helped. My version of Goins is much newer and didn't have all those stamps.

Do you know of a book written on the Ulster Knife Co?
Thanks for the redirect to the Ulster thread, I had missed some of it.

Happy holidays,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Not off hand Dale but the Goins encyclopedia his last I beleive book has a large write up on it tell me if you need it. Hope you are feeling OK . LT
Upstream

Post by Upstream »

Would it be off-topic to ask when about was this Ulster stamp used?
Thanks Rick
Attachments
Ulster BSA.jpg
Ulster BSA.jpg (69.65 KiB) Viewed 9323 times
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

This looks like a 1096 made in the late 50tys 60 tys and 70tys. Your knife most likely 60 tys and 70 tys . This tang was used a bit earlier but this is the era of this knife ( jigged plastic or delrin handles ). This shield and handle material were also used by Schrade during this period for some scout patterns they made. ( as well of course as most patterns) If you check the other Ulster thread on page one regarding tang stamps you will see that this and variations of this with the knife model were the general pattern for stamps of this period. Your knife was the last model they made as an official boy scout utility however they made it for a while, even in immaculate condition these seldom bring over 40 dollars ( perhapes a shade more with box ect). Nothing is off topic OLD IS GOLD, NO MATTER WHAT IS BEING TOLD, OR SOLD. PS earlier Ulsters were Ulster Knife Co prior to that scouts were Dwight Devine again check the other Ulster thread there are similar if not exact samples shown. Hope this helps LT PPS I had these within reach so decided to try to show what I mean. These have not been cleaned they are from a collection I bought a few months ago and havent gotten to . I have examples of this company back to Ellenville Knife and Ellenville Knife CO ( co op) however there is a devine on the other thread which was the stamp just before Ulster Knife Co, the Ulster USA was the next and most used and really last. I included a coupe of 1096 in the pile and a civilian utility model which did not have the boy scout shield there is an earlier bone handle girl scout Ulster Knife Co and a Ulster Knife CO TL 29 these are middle late 40 tys or fiftys. Confused yet. PPPS the eye loop your knife is resting on is a currently sold model ( probably chinese ). I would guess the power at ten due to the bow of the design. Instead of straight.
Attachments
MVC-030S.JPG
MVC-030S.JPG (15.62 KiB) Viewed 9308 times
MVC-029S.JPG
MVC-029S.JPG (39.2 KiB) Viewed 9308 times
MVC-028S.JPG
MVC-028S.JPG (27.61 KiB) Viewed 9308 times
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG (36.93 KiB) Viewed 9308 times
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG (47.16 KiB) Viewed 9308 times
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-024S.JPG (36.61 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-023S.JPG (48 KiB) Viewed 9309 times
Upstream

Post by Upstream »

Thanks Lt, I found that Ulster in the bottom of my fathers tool box several years after he passed away so the value to me is purely sentimental.
You were close on the eye loop, it is a 12x dual lens, made in Japan. It has been around as long as I can remember and also came from my fathers things along with this one, a Bausch & Lomb 5x from up your way.
Thanks Rick
Attachments
King Ranch.jpg
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I was just funnin with the loop. I usually tack a general value just as a reference. Good Holiday LT
upnorth

Oregon Ulster

Post by upnorth »

There are a couple of Ulster threads, and this one had fewer posts so I thought I would show this knife here, and maybe get some feedback on the era of Ulster it is from. It is very like a couple of Schrades I have (or vice versa), and I'll do a comparison shot later.
I bought it in Oregon, one of the few that were reasonably priced.
Anyway, any help on dating would be appreciated. Some people here have commented on the Ulster/Schrade time periods, but I am having a hard time keeping it all straight. Maybe it will stick now! Thanks in advance,
Charlie with the historically challenged brain!
upnorth

Answering when?

Post by upnorth »

If I have gleaned the right info from this thread, then the knife I just asked about (above) would be from the late 1940's to early 1950's.
I have one more Ulster to ask about, also found at the Oregon show; this guy is a bit worn, but remains tight and snappy. Too heavy to tote, unless you are expecting fisticuffs! Has a bit different stamp on the main blade.
Does anyone (LT fer instance) know a time frame for this one??
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

It is fortys. This style of knife was a favorite of many companies Notice yours has the long niche main blade and curved niche smaller blade. much like the two remingtons in the pic I am posting. While the Robeson ( in the pic)has two curved niches and no thread. I did not pull out a Schrade cut version and recently I just sold a bunch of these of various companies to a guy who collects them. So I only have a few left. Most were contracts and I would guess the Rems may very well have been made by Ulster . Handles were Goldine ie brass. these handles were also used on timber rases. I have a few other examples around but this should make the point. Actually it could be earlier however that stamp is ( I believe ). 40tys. I often do not jump right in on some of these questions since I feel guys like Dale and Larry and others know the answers and do a good job on them. By the way the one Remington is as close to full and unused as I have ever seen. NYK, Walden, Schrade Cut and many more had variations on these either made by themselves or on contract. Note the Robeson is thinner an lighter than the Rems more like the Ulster version. Hope this helps LT
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Yes it definitely helps. Thanks LT!
KimboHeslep

Re: Ulster Knife.

Post by KimboHeslep »

I have a pocket knife made by Ulster USA. Looks really old can anyone give me any information about it? I know it does not have an awl, but instead it has a smaller pen blade... Thank for any help...
Attachments
4D51A15F-5400-4255-AD17-1AF60DE51C95.jpeg
CD8BBF1E-2616-40B9-B13F-009099F2A34F.jpeg
DFAD0B2E-B635-406C-87F1-04E353177C43.jpeg
80DBC755-F3D4-4224-AC40-F8789F182D50.jpeg
601F28A4-D349-4788-BEB2-84DE5C8F5A84.jpeg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”