boy scouts

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

boy scouts

Post by jonet143 »

i bet a lot of us went through the boy scouts. i'm about to turn 58 in jan. o7. i joined the boy scouts in 1961. my dad finally was convinced i was gonna stick to it in 1962. we went downtown (fort worth) to leonard's dept store and he bought me some scouting stuff, sleeping bag, backpack, etc. and my first knife. a scout knife, with the insignia. there were'nt any malls then so a trip downtown was pretty special. school clothes special. i hope this is not boreing. i know there is no great value, afterall, it's just an old plastic handled utility knife. but it cannot be bought. thanks dad.

here's the knife
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
W5RWU

boy scouts

Post by W5RWU »

Johnnie ,here is a nother knife from leonard's dept store! I was in the cub scouts in the late 60's . Going leonard's was always a big event! This was my second knife . my first was taken up by my uncle because i was doing something stupid with it. I dont know what happen to my boy scout knife I lost it somewhere! I will always remember the trips to leonard's dept store. I am all most positive this was purchased at leonard's.
SEE YA Randy
Attachments
cub1.jpg
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I was never a scout however in my youth had a fondness for brownies. Here is a small display with a few that may bring back some memories . Notice there are Ulsters and yes some of the smaller ones are Schrades notice the same emblem and handle materials . It is a good hint to age. These are a few that I had lieing around I have a friend who snatchs up all the high end scout knives I get but these are pleasant to look at. The single one in the lousy pic is a Dwight Devine notice the shield. If any one want to see it better let me know or check out Levine 4. That is an old Robeson display case. LT
Attachments
MVC-027S.JPG
MVC-027S.JPG (35 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG (26.52 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG (37.55 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-024S.JPG (48.77 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-023S.JPG (33.11 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

A nice collection of Scouts, as a former cub scout myself I will verify a high range of drool... :D
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

Here's one that's a bit newer than the others that are shown, an Imperial from the 1970's.
Attachments
Imp scout.jpg
Imp scout.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I too, collect scout knives, but have only 2nd tier knives. The really nice Rems and such go much too high for my wallet.

Here are a few I have shown before to others:

I have more, but don't have pics of them. I was not a scout either, but I was a den leader and an assistant cubmaster. I thoroughly enjoyed working on whittling chip with my den, and gave them each a "broken-in" cub scout pocket knife when they earned their card.

Glenn

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”