Old Keen Kutter Knives

Keen Kutter was first used as a knife brand by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870. The trademark was used on the highest quality tools and cutlery Simmons offered.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Keen Kutter Knives

Post by danno50 »

stockman wrote:I have a question about old KK knives, before the "Wedge and Bar" tang stamp. They are tang stamped "E.C. Simmons St. Louis. Is all knives with the "E.C. Simmons St. Louis" stamp KK's?

Harold
Short answer is an ambiguous, I think so? They continued to use the "E.C.Simmons St. Louis" stamp and also "Simmons Hardware Co" stamp after the introduction of the wedge and bar stamp.
I have 3 KKs with the "Simmons Hardware Co." stamp. Two of them have a Keen Kutter etch. The other one is well used and if there was an etch (and I assume there was?), it has worn off.
I have 2 KKs with the "E.C.Simmons St. Louis" stamp. On of them has the Keen Kutter etch. The other one is well used and, once again, the etch has worn off, if it was there.
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

danno50 wrote:
stockman wrote:I have a question about old KK knives, before the "Wedge and Bar" tang stamp. They are tang stamped "E.C. Simmons St. Louis. Is all knives with the "E.C. Simmons St. Louis" stamp KK's?

Harold
Short answer is an ambiguous, I think so? They continued to use the "E.C.Simmons St. Louis" stamp and also "Simmons Hardware Co" stamp after the introduction of the wedge and bar stamp. Sellens has a drawing of a fancy scroll Keen Kutter etch, which he says (with a qualification on the accuracy of the dating) was in use from 1895 thru 1916.
I have 3 KKs with the "Simmons Hardware Co." stamp. Two of them have a Keen Kutter etch (the fancy scroll one as above). The other one is well used and if there was an etch (and I assume there was?), it has worn off.
I have 2 KKs with the "E.C.Simmons St. Louis" stamp. On of them has the Keen Kutter etch( in a Gothic font). The other one is well used and, once again, the etch has worn off, if it was there.
Dan
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Here's one I just picked up - a Keen Kutter Pony Jack aka K733-3/4S
open.jpg
closed.jpg
tangs.jpg
pattern.jpg
- Jason
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Nice old knife ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I agree, that is a good one, Jason! ::tu:: Lovely bone.
Dan
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I found this picture in a box of old knives all rolled up in a cardboard tube. Sorry for the glare but I have this hanging in my “knife room” and get a lot of comments about it.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Try again.
Attachments
5D0AA077-372E-4E4F-8CC6-EE3CFF052E63.jpeg
D400F599-8780-433C-AC65-740856009006.jpeg
ITSAKILLER

Post by ITSAKILLER »

Here's one of my favorites
Attachments
15177214.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hello killer, welcome to AAPK. Nice to see you here. I have quite a few good knives that once were yours.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

George has been a member here since 2015. He just doesn't post very often.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

Jacknifeben wrote:Try again.
Keen kutter made this as a postcard. If it is a poster it is a fantasy item. Someone made quite a few of them and sold them as the real thing.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice knives, Jason and ITSAKILLER.

Here's an old toothpick. Made by New York Knife, I'm thinkin'.
Attachments
DSCN2555.JPG
DSCN2559.JPG
DSCN2563.JPG
DSCN2568.JPG
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Joe,I believe that is a post 1940 tang stamp and New York Knife would have been out of business.I think Schrade.Nice knife whoever made it. ::tu::
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you for that, Roger, I appreciate it.
I should have done a little more home work. But I am constantly confused with identifying makers.
Rarely do I get it right.
Thanks again.
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful old knife, ITSAKILLER! ::tu:: Looks like a K3052 to me, should be 3 1/8". Is there a pattern number on the back of the master blade?
Very nice toothpick, Joe! ::tu:: I would agree with Roger on Schrade made.
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dan. ::tu::
Joe
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Sweet toothpick Joe!
This cattle knife showed up a few days ago as the mystery component in a bundle. The seller couldn't identify it for good reason. Even though it's in decent shape the tangs are just all pitted to hell. After a little clean up and with good lighting the Keen Kutter logos are visible but I can't tell if it has ears (I think it doesn't) and I can't tell whether it's got 'Simmons' on it. The pattern number is probably K7387?-3/4 and it's 3-5/8" closed without any brass - liners, pins - all of it is NS. It doesn't look Schrade to me and I don't think it's a Camillus. I'm wondering if it could be a Winchester?
open.jpg
mark.jpg
pile.jpg
- Jason
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice old knife, Jason. It could also be made by Walden. Is there any trace of a stamped pattern number on the back of the main blade?
Dan
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

danno50 wrote:Nice old knife, Jason. It could also be made by Walden. Is there any trace of a stamped pattern number on the back of the main blade?
Thanks Dan. It's tough to see but definitely there. K7387?-3/4. The last digit is unreadable and that 8 is questionable too. Could also be a 6 or a 3 or on a stretch maybe even a 5. The closest patterns are on page 201 (Sellens) but nothing exact.
- Jason
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

A stamped pattern number, preceded by K, is an indication of Camillus manufacture. In my opinion, with the stamped pattern number, it is not Walden made. There are distinct differences in the spey blade shape between Camillus and Winchester made knives. However, the spey on yours is down considerably and I can't say. There is another member, msteele6, with a lot better feel for the differences between Camillus and Winchester Keen Kutters. Hopefully he comes by and offers his opinion.
Dan
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Here's a tighter shot on the spey. I recall reading about the 'K' pointing to Camillus but I don't remember if it's an exclusive marking. What made me think it wasn't Camillus were the punch and the nail nick on the spear. Full disclosure - I'm likely to be wrong, lol. Thanks for looking.
spey.jpg
- Jason
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Jason, if you look at the 6th post on page 23 of this thread, it gives some additional information on telling the difference between Winchester and Camillus knives. In particular, there is a description and references to posts depicting the differences in the spey blades. The spey blade on yours is worn down considerably? The referenced post also mentions ringed bolsters as being more indicative of Camillus manufacture, as opposed to Winchester.
Dan
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Knife appears to be a 73878 3/4 shown on p. 202 of Sellens.

I would say that the knife is a Camillus made knife based on the following, first the "K" in the pattern number, I generally only see that on Camillus made knives. I assume that the "K" is underlined. The grooved bolsters are common on Camillus knives, however, I haven't really seen it very often on Winchester or Walden knives. The Keen Kutter logo should have the little ears at the top of the wedge, if they aren't there I'd be surprised. Finally, the shield shown in Sellens is the old logo shield, however, if you look at Sellen's dates they are 1921 through 1938. At the beginning of that period the knife would have been a Walden knife, at the end a Camillus. This knife is a later version in my opinion. Camillus made knives both with and without the "Simmons" on the logo.

I can't see anything about the punch that sounds any alarms.

JMO
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Latest KK Barlow
Attachments
20180726_175949(0).jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

It looks like most signs are pointing to Camillus on that cattle knife - thanks Dan and msteele ::tu::

Here's another, and this one's easy - it's an Ulster! Not in Sellens book but the pattern dates to 1960-1966.
K58OT.jpg
- Jason

Return to “Keen Kutter”