Farmer's Jacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
wlf

Re: Farmer's Jacks

Post by wlf »

doglegg wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:53 pm Lot of reading there Lyle but well worth the time. Love your knives. Thank you.

Hope your sweet wife is doing well.
Thanks Floyd , she's doing great,a little under the weather with flu like symptoms now though.

Ike and you may be the only ones that finish reading . I know I'm not a captivating writer and it's hard to read long posts unless it's something you really want to know.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

wlf wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:45 pm

Ike and you may be the only ones that finish reading . I know I'm not a captivating writer and it's hard to read long posts unless it's something you really want to know.
Don't sell yourself short......it was captivating enough that, yes, I read it all the way through. Thanks for posting that info and the additional pictures. ::handshake::
Ike
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Waukonda wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:56 pm
wlf wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:45 pm

Don't sell yourself short......it was captivating enough that, yes, I read it all the way through. Thanks for posting that info and the additional pictures. ::handshake::
Agree Ike, very informative posts .
Lyle ,have learned a lot here on this FJ thread . Thank you for your time and sharing your passion with us .
JP
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Thanks for the interesting history Lyle! ::handshake::
David
wlf

Post by wlf »

wlf wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:53 pm
Waukonda wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:03 pm
wlf wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:36 pm A new one. Christopher Johnson at 4 1/4' rather a large farmers knife.
That is a sweet looking knife, Lyle, very nice! Beats the heck out of a little Union Kabar FJ, huh? :lol:
Huh uh :D
Thanks to the rest of you all . :lol:
In case my regional dialect didn't convey correctly Huh uh is the direct opposite of Uh huh. :D

I somehow missed putting this cut in the info about the S7309. It's from Schrade's 1936 supplement, which seems kinda late in the game for introducing other versions of the farmer jack. It would seem someone at Schrade wanted more of or was greatly interested in the horticultural market with all their so called "innovations and new blades". I'm certainly glad they did.
Attachments
Schrade catalog E supp 1936408.jpg
Schrade catalog E supp 1936 S 7309F.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

Either Camillus had the flat blades and the modified budding blades ( albeit Schrade's S7309 budder was more exaggerated) long before the Schrade 1936 supplement or the dating of the Camillus stamps is way wrong. At least 18 years ! I think not. The blades wouldn't have the old 3 line serif stamp unless they were made during that time period, no matter when the knife was put together, unless Camillus used the old stamps to mark knives at a later date !

No, I think this pick bone style jigging is more consistent with Goins dating. This knife would not fit in a lot of collections because of it's condition, but it is valuable to a "collector", because of the knowledge it carries. I love this knife and wish I had bought every old farmer jack I could've.
Attachments
Camillus rooster 3 line serif both blades 2 (2).jpg
Camillus rooster 3 line serif both blades922 (1).jpg
Camillus rooster 3 line serif both blades 2 (1).jpg
Camillus rooster 3 line serif both blades922 (2).jpg
Camillus rooster 3 line both blades924.jpg

Lyle
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

wlf wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:18 pm Either Camillus had the flat blades and the modified budding blades ( albeit Schrade's S7309 budder was more exaggerated) long before the Schrade 1936 supplement or the dating of the Camillus stamps is way wrong. At least 18 years ! I think not. The blades wouldn't have the old 3 line serif stamp unless they were made during that time period, no matter when the knife was put together, unless Camillus used the old stamps to mark knives at a later date !

No, I think this pick bone style jigging is more consistent with Goins dating. This knife would not fit in a lot of collections because of it's condition, but it is valuable to a "collector", because of the knowledge it carries. I love this knife and wish I had bought every old farmer jack I could've.
Lyle, agree with you that it would be the 1915 to 1918 period based on the knife. The stamp helps to confirm . like you I will buy a old knife that’s not very collectible too many just for the knife in hand and to learn . Half these knives were 20 bucks or so cause of condition and have been valuable references. Like the patented 8/28/ 1898 stamp on the knife at the bottom . Still working on that one’s background.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and the old Camillus FJ , Always a pleasure stopping by here . ::handshake::
Attachments
591D5CF0-FF34-4DE8-A62F-601406C6D7E3.jpeg
JP
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Less than perfect knives have always been a mainstay of my collection. lol Here is an L.F.&C. with partial etch and a well used Wester Bros.
Attachments
100_0353.JPG
100_0354.JPG
100_0355.JPG
100_0356.JPG
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Both look good to me. ::tu::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

luckydog64 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:56 pm Less than perfect knives have always been a mainstay of my collection. lol Here is an L.F.&C. with partial etch and a well used Wester Bros.
Cool, the LFC has an unusual shield. ::tu::
Roger
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

luckydog64 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:56 pm Less than perfect knives have always been a mainstay of my collection. lol Here is an L.F.&C. with partial etch and a well used Wester Bros.
2 very nice pieces there Luckydog ::tu:: ::tu::
That shield on the LF&C ,never seen that before . And Roger mentioned it and I’m wondering what the heck you all would call that Shield ?
Very nice FJ s ,thanks for posting them .
JP
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Thanks dog, peanut, and ripster. I figure it must be an old one because most LF&Cs I see are that black composition. Seems like there is a thread on shields but I could not find it.
wlf

Post by wlf »

I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but I guess not. Great knives you lucky dog.😊.

I've got some info to share about a farmer Jack, but I'm at the Ford dealership and don't have access to my computer.

I did put this together quickly before I left this morning.There's 3 or 4 missing, but that's the most of them. Looking from the top downwards and from the bottom upwards.
Attachments
6C09EB9E-6A2C-4DD6-AAAC-CA49A85122C1.jpeg
367F3F93-4137-4434-8E84-EE37E56915AA.jpeg

Lyle
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Thats mighty impressive wlf. No wonder they are so hard to find. lol I know you have worked hard to collect that many. Thanks for showing.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is awesome Lyle. Your collection is overwhelming. Focus certainly yields impressive results. Thanks for sharing.
TPK

Post by TPK »

:shock: Wow! Very nice collection! ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Some serious dedication right there .
Awesome Lyle !
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

That shield shows to be on older Case knives. I think this link has 4 examples but did not find a name. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12268&hilit=different+shields
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I’m impressed Lyle! That collection belongs in a knife museum. It’s like something you see at smkw. Congrats !!

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Lyle, that is a great collection.

You have done very well.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
wlf

Post by wlf »

That shield on LDs L F & C seems to be a L F & C thing. Here's a couple pictures , The top one of mine and the bottom one I got from eBay.
Attachments
LF&C New Britain Conn.jpg
L F and C.jpg

Lyle
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

wlf wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:26 pm That shield on LDs L F & C seems to be a L F & C thing. Here's a couple pictures , The top one of mine and the bottom one I got from eBay.
Those should be posted in the got shields thread as well ::nod::

Awesome collection Lyle! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:47 pm
wlf wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:26 pm That shield on LDs L F & C seems to be a L F & C thing. Here's a couple pictures , The top one of mine and the bottom one I got from eBay.

I saw the same shield on an H&B on ebay yesterday and I couldn't get it to transfer. Makes sense that it was on an H&B.
Roger
wlf

Post by wlf »

I found this interesting cut about my Wilbert farmer jack. It says Sears are the initiators ( " An entirely new pattern of our own design") of the modified versions I named rooster combs ( after the term used around this way for all farmer jacks ). This cut came from " The Best of Sears Collectibles, 1905-1910".

It's Camillus contract unless Camillus copied this Wilbert for their patterns.That would put Camillus Cutlery Co. in it's infancy.
Attachments
Wilbert catalog cut.jpg
Wilbert cut pose129.jpg

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

peanut740 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:54 pm
Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:47 pm

I saw the same shield on an H&B on ebay yesterday and I couldn't get it to transfer. Makes sense that it was on an H&B.
::tu:: ::tu::

Lyle

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”