Farmer's Jacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
wlf

Re: Farmer's Jacks

Post by wlf »

Thanks Willy for looking and commenting.

My wife’s had a tough year D, she’s wanting to take a warm vacation after the holidays. I’d like to see you and Mike again. Maybe.

Barry, you’ve got your own spectacular collection. I think I have emailed you enquiring about that knife before. Thanks for the kind words.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

wlf wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:02 pm Thought I would repost this knife in a few places to get other opinions. I find the master blade a Sheffield peculiarity.I thought at first ,someone might have altered a pruning blade, but upon inspection the kick doesn't appear to be altered. This would have to be done to allow the blade seated inside the framework.

Normal farmers jacks with this blade edge would peek out above the frame. Opinions, insights.
Lyle, here is a page from Maher and Grosh pamphlet, posted by Olde Cutler in the catalog pages thread, back on Nov 1. I hope he does not mind me reposting it to this thread. It shows a similar knife to yours, calling it a budding and grafting knife. Not a Sheffield knife, but still very similar. It is shown on the second post in the attached link.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42557&start=195
farmer_jack.jpg
Dan
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Dan ,they are similar. Grinders varied on all the pruning blades I've seen. :) . I wonder who made those M&G knives advertised? Maybe Roger knows ?
I have that M&G ad too. I am pretty sure it's an original blade and a budding and grafting blade too.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

I cleaned up my old Utica some what. Food grade mineral oil, 0000 steel wool lots of elbow grease and working out the grime from the joints. Has a good amount of snap and spring tension now. I love it, I don't have anything else like it in the collection.
utica.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

wlf wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:19 pm Thanks Dan ,they are similar. Grinders varied on all the pruning blades I've seen. :) . I wonder who made those M&G knives advertised? Maybe Roger knows ?
I have that M&G ad too. I am pretty sure it's an original blade and a budding and grafting blade too.
At 75¢ each I'm going to order up a few 100, I'll make sure you get one. :wink:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf

Post by wlf »

Me too John. :)

Might as well show the spey blade too Dan, and have that knife in another picture by itself. :)

Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

wlf wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:19 pm Thanks Dan ,they are similar. Grinders varied on all the pruning blades I've seen. :) . I wonder who made those M&G knives advertised? Maybe Roger knows ?
Looking again, I believe the M&G knife is smaller than your regular farmer jacks. The cut says it is shown actual size. Assuming a width of about 11" for the page, measuring off my computer screen and doing a ratio calculation, I get the M&G knife at about 3 1/2".
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice Utica, Pile Driver! ::tu:: Full blade and great bone!
Dan
wlf

Post by wlf »

danno50 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 am
Looking again, I believe the M&G knife is smaller than your regular farmer jacks. The cut says it is shown actual size. Assuming a width of about 11" for the page, measuring off my computer screen and doing a ratio calculation, I get the M&G knife at about 3 1/2".
Yes , that’s about right. I think one came up for sale and I didn’t bid, Roger C was going to bid on it.

But the point being, those blades were used on some budding and pruning knives instead of a hawkbill.

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

The eBay description when it was sold said almost 4". I remember it smaller too. ? We could ask Roger.
Here's pictures of it Dan:
Attachments
Maher and Grosh a.jpg
Maher and Grosh b.jpg
Maher and Grosh c.jpg
Maher and Grosh e.jpg

Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Love the old bone on that one, Lyle. Too bad about the nick out of the blade. I wonder if Roger got it?
Dan
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I did not.
Roger
wlf

Post by wlf »

Christmas present from my wife. Thanks Charlie for selling it to her.
Schrade Cut Co with shield.
Attachments
F8E1099A-23B3-41B6-ABDE-CF77AA213F85.jpeg

Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a great one, Lyle! ::tu:: ::tu::

Merry Christmas my friend!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

Awesomely thoughtful gift Lyle and great on Charlie for facilitating. My girlfriend always expresses her wish to find me a great vintage knife but doesn't know the first thing about what to look for. I just like that she has an interest and is supportive of my hobbies.

Merry Christmas
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thank you John and Dan.
Merry Christmas to you both.

Lyle
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

For you Lyle:
1225191309a.jpg
1225191309.jpg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

wlf wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:19 pm Christmas present from my wife. Thanks Charlie for selling it to her.

That's a beauty Lyle, great gift from Jan, Donna and I wish you both a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

wlf wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:19 pm Christmas present from my wife. Thanks Charlie for selling it to her.
Congratulations Lyle, it’s a beauty!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Lyle I think you have a keeper of a wife,and a good friend in Charlie for selling it to her. ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Beauty of a Schrade FJ Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... A really thoughtful gift from Jan with help from Charlie ::nod:: ::tu:: ..

Post by Duffer »

Outstanding FJ Lyle ::tu:: Wonderful knife—Wonderful wife—Wonderful life!! Oh yeah and Charlie he is a wonderful guy too ::nod::
Lloyd
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks all.
Thanks Dan for putting that beauty in a picture by itself. :)

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

Got a very rare knife. It is the only " farmers whittler" or nursery whittler as Holley calls this pattern that I collect. I have 3 other English farmers whittlers and I know Sheffield maker Thomas Turner made one too, maybe more Sheffield made.

This Holley is the only American version I've heard of.Holleys are rare, farmers jacks are rare, and whittlers ( split spring) with pruning masters are rarer. Thanks JohnR for alerting me and not making me bid higher. :D

The frame on the whittler is 18.2mm and the frame on the FJ is 17.5mm at their tallest heights. ?? I imagine the difference is one is the standard frame for the nurseryman and the whittler uses Holley's big wharncliffe frame.??
Attachments
Holley farmers whittler550.jpg
Holley farmers whittler552.jpg
Holley farmers whittler551.jpg
Holley farmers whittler564.jpg
Holley 1915  catalog  262.jpg
Holley farmers whittler566.jpg

Lyle
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Wow. That is incredible. Very nice Lyle ::tu::

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”