Old Cattle Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Steve Warden

Re: Old Cattle Knives

Post by Steve Warden »

D) All of the above

Knice lookin' knife!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Here is an unusual 5 blade 3 spring Craftsman Sta-Sharp Cattle knife, found new in box, made by Camillus. Does anyone know if Camillus ever sold this pattern under their name, I've only seen Sta-Sharps.
Attachments
IMG_2626.jpeg
IMG_2634.jpeg
IMG_2631.jpeg
IMG_2638.jpeg
IMG_2624.jpeg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John,that is a great find.Everyone I've had and seen were Sears.
Roger
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I was watching that on ebay , beautiful knife.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

JohnR wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:28 pm Here is an unusual 5 blade 3 spring Craftsman Sta-Sharp Cattle knife, found new in box, made by Camillus. Does anyone know if Camillus ever sold this pattern under their name, I've only seen Sta-Sharps.
Great bones, wow that's some cool color. And knife.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
espn77

Post by espn77 »

John, you are acquiring a great bunch of knives. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That is by far the finest Sta-Sharp Cattle knife i have ever seen and the only one with the original box. As a Sta-Sharp collector i am very jealous :)
I have not seen this pattern with Camillus branding.
What a GREAT knife !
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

KJ, Keith, Iman, Knifegnome, Roger, thank you all for the nice comments ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

The Sears contract must have been a huge one for Camillus for them to make knives unique to Sta-Sharp, I only have a half dozen or so but they are very high quality.

I've always had a soft spot for Sears,Roebuck & Co, growing up in a military family we were stationed all over the world and almost all our goods came from the Sears catalog, mom and dad would sit down once a month and fill out an order form to be mailed in with a check and the order would usually show up in a month or so, even when we returned to the states Sears was the store to go too, they had everything and it was quality, sad how things have changed.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

That is a great looking knife and in the box ::tu:: very special
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Talk about luck, better get some lottery tickets.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Great old knife John

Harold
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a gorgeous 5 blade. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

A question for all you very knowledgeable people following this tread, and there are some very knowledgeable members here, it just staggers me the amount of history and information that you know about knives. I have been going back through the posts admiring all of the knives posted. Question-have seen 3, 4 , and 5 blade cattle knives, does a 2 blade, or a 1 blade with a leather punch qualify? ::hmm:: It would have to have a blade or blade and punch at each end. :D
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Gudgee, be interested to hear the reply to your question. I'm a believer that it takes 3 or more blades to make a cattle knife. A 2 blade would be a harness jack if it had a punch. Here are some of my Remington 3 and 4 blade cattle knives.
Attachments
20200929_201505.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

espn77 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:18 am Gudgee, be interested to hear the reply to your question. I'm a believer that it takes 3 or more blades to make a cattle knife. A 2 blade would be a harness jack if it had a punch. Here are some of my Remington 3 and 4 blade cattle knives.
You have a fine selection there my friend. I only asked the question because i just like to hear other peoples views on things. ::nod:: With my limited knowledge, you are quite correct about it being a Harness Jack, but over the course of time names of particular knife patterns become a bit confusing. It is like there is a crossover of names and patterns, but that is only my opinion. It can make it a bit daunting and confusing for someone getting into knives, whether a collector or user. Thanks for giving your input, very much welcomed and respected, and i really do like your collection, they are the " Mickey " as we say over here. Take care. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A couple with 5 blades.

These knives are 3 5/8" closed.
Attachments
DSCN4642.JPG
DSCN4644.JPG
DSCN4647.JPG
DSCN4650.JPG
DSCN4652.JPG
Joe
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Just remember this Cattaraugus C 2002. Long pull clip and long Spey blade. Bad storage but full blades.
Attachments
023FF778-EE8A-4435-A5A5-9F4A5DC7CD3A.jpeg
004D7624-A98F-4283-B8A5-1256E440FEC4.jpeg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Schrade called this 810 pattern a senator in the catalogs but I consider it to be a tiny cattle knife.

1B527545-6A90-48AC-9DEC-2196B336EB90.jpeg
84B56C5E-F583-4DB0-92D7-73B4965DFBD7.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Schrade did some awesome peach seed jigging. ::tu:: ::tu::

You guys are blowing me away with these pictures. :mrgreen:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:40 pm Schrade did some awesome peach seed jigging. ::tu:: ::tu::

You guys are blowing me away with these pictures. :mrgreen:
" Ditto ", what he said. ::tu:: ::tu:: :mrgreen:
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:32 am
espn77 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:18 am Gudgee, be interested to hear the reply to your question. I'm a believer that it takes 3 or more blades to make a cattle knife. A 2 blade would be a harness jack if it had a punch. Here are some of my Remington 3 and 4 blade cattle knives.
You have a fine selection there my friend. I only asked the question because i just like to hear other peoples views on things. ::nod:: With my limited knowledge, you are quite correct about it being a Harness Jack, but over the course of time names of particular knife patterns become a bit confusing. It is like there is a crossover of names and patterns, but that is only my opinion. It can make it a bit daunting and confusing for someone getting into knives, whether a collector or user. Thanks for giving your input, very much welcomed and respected, and i really do like your collection, they are the " Mickey " as we say over here. Take care. ::tu::
Hey Cudgee ,thanks for posting this. Boy was I getting confused, and yes that’s easy sometimes. So is a cattle knife 3 or more blades ,of any kind , on a cigar type frame a Cattle knife? And it doesn’t matter what blade combo,or punch or no punch? Maybe am confused still cause got more questions than when I first read these pages. Do want to say thanks for all who posted here, really nice cutlery and a lot of great info. Stay safe out there.
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:34 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:32 am
Hey Cudgee ,thanks for posting this. Boy was I getting confused, and yes that’s easy sometimes. So is a cattle knife 3 or more blades ,of any kind , on a cigar type frame a Cattle knife? And it doesn’t matter what blade combo,or punch or no punch? Maybe am confused still cause got more questions than when I first read these pages. Do want to say thanks for all who posted here, really nice cutlery and a lot of great info. Stay safe out there.
You are welcome my friend, glad that you found my question interesting. I would say you have it correct, Cigar type frame, 3 or more blades, usually 3, with or without a punch, but in it's purest form, the original cattle knives always had a punch. That is only my opinion, from what i have read from very knowledgeable people. But i'm am sure there will be other opinions out there, and quite rightly so, that is how we all learn. But this is a fantastic thread, with some beautiful knives and history, of that, i'm sure we all agree. You have a good weekend mate, and take care. :wink: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Hey thanks Cudgee, agree with you that it’s really nice to have all this info that has been shared . Like your thought on the punch or no punch, sure is a lot to learn about this thing of ours. Every time you think you’re gaining ground a whole new road to travel on and learn more opens up. Sure is nice to have the technology we have now, to share and learn from so many all over the world. And the eye candy pictures are way awesome. Have a good one friend ::handshake::
JP
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Schrade cut co 8563 3 3/8” jr cattle knife in very nice condition.

711869B6-C9D4-41D1-9C26-41C72A5E341E.jpeg
924D2439-33D5-4B21-A525-6C4AD286409E.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”