Real American Knife Lore

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Robo

Re: Real American Knife Lore

Post by Robo »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:MB; I saw this when you first posted it, but I've delayed reading it until today.

Fascinating, poignant and sad all at the same time.

Killing a young grinder at twenty-four years of age with aspiration consumption (not the same thing as TB) is nothing for anybody to have been proud of.

As much as we love these things we cherish, knives, we must never forget the sacrifices of those that built them.

Charlie Noyes
Hear, Hear, Sir!

Sometimes I'm as guilty of romantisizing America's Knife manufacturing past as others are because the beautiful little piece of edged art I hold in my hand doesn't in and of itself speak of the pain and suffering--the alcoholism, drugery and often poverty-- of the folks who were it's creators. I'm grateful to find stories like these and I actively seek them out in order to remember there was a great price paid for the knife I paid a great price for.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just discovered this thread, fantastic reading, but so sad in a lot of ways. Not only the hardship these people went through, but the demise of knife manufacturing, tools and most things that were made by machines, tools AND hand. My grandparents and parents and many relatives went through these tough and they were tough times, but i think they came out as better people for it. I know times have changed and will not go back to what they were, but importing a lot of things and the throw away society attitude means quality hand made products are are a rarity and not the norm now, which i find very sad. But that being said, i think there is a growing brand of new purchasers out there, that are prepaired to pay for bespoke and hand made goods, if and when they have the money. You only have to look at some of the fantastic work being done by custom knife makers. So thanks everyone who had a hand in putting this thread together, well done. ::nod::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I have been in communication with the Village of Walden historian. She sent me this write up, also from the WPA project. It is by a Herbert Mason, who worked as a cutler for 7 different companies over 32 years, quite a few of them in Walden. I tried copy and paste from the word document, but couldn't get it to work, so made jpegs out of each page. Clicking on them will enlarge and make them easier to read. He speaks about the Upper and Lower Shops and names the Lower Shop as New York Knife Co. However, this is wrong, the Upper Shop was New York Knife Co. and the Lower Shop was Walden Knife Co. The article states that the Upper Shop closed in 1927. The historian believes that whoever wrote up the write up got the two shops confused, it was the Lower Shop (Walden Knife) that closed in 1927.
Attachments
HMason1.jpg
HMason2.jpg
HMason3.jpg
HMason4.jpg
HMason5.jpg
Dan
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks Dan for acquiring and posting this! I love reading these personal memories by old cutlers regarding the knife making business of yesteryear. Makes collecting these old knives we all like more personal and real. Thanks again ::tu::
Lloyd
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Thanks for posting. I love reading the things written by the old cutlers.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your time, interesting letter.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great story Dan! ::tu::
Thanks for posting it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Absolutely wonderful and valuable reading...!!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
edisdead

Post by edisdead »

The history of Sheffields Cutlers emigration to the States is something I'm eager to learn more about, this thread has it all, what a great read.
The hardships of working conditions and the lowly appreciation and pay for their skilled work was a strong motivation to look to the new world, where principles of fair play for the working man were perhaps more achievable.
This humble example may sit well here?
IMG_20211227_190856.jpg
IMG_20211227_190544.jpg
IMG_20211227_191525.jpg
Facinating to think these knives share DNA
IMG_20211227_190711.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

edisdead wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:30 pm This humble example may sit well here?
Very well, thanks for showing it ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

m-------sarah. Very nicely written. J.O'.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”