wirejacks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:37 am

doglegg wrote:Got this little Boy Scout mess kit off Etsy. Evidently it belonged to David Hall of troop 112. I always wonder what was the proper spoon or were there various? Appears that someone took the knife to a buffing wheel.

1967redrider wrote:I've got the fish knife and a Scout set with the ever so elusive spoon. You can look at 20 of these sets and see a different spoon in each one. Is mine original? Who knows. ::shrug::


These are the only 2 spoons that I have that came from utensil kits.
The top one says STAINLESS U.S.A. and the bottom one says STAINLESS BY WALLACE.
As far as I know, they are the originals that came with the utensil kits that I have.
But more recently than the ones you guys posted.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6069
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: wirejacks

Postby doglegg » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:44 am

Thanks N W NY, the one in mine says 'Deluxe Stainless Taiwan' and then a little symbol and 'the first years'. It is similar in size to yours. But I have seen several with slight differences but about the same size. They all kind of remind me of baby spoons. By the way you are racking up quite a group of wirejacks. Thanks for the pics. ::handshake:: ::handshake::

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:18 am

doglegg wrote:Thanks N W NY, the one in mine says 'Deluxe Stainless Taiwan' and then a little symbol and 'the first years'. It is similar in size to yours. But I have seen several with slight differences but about the same size. They all kind of remind me of baby spoons. By the way you are racking up quite a group of wirejacks. Thanks for the pics. ::handshake:: ::handshake::


You're welcome doglegg. ::handshake::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:06 pm

This one arrived today.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6069
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: wirejacks

Postby doglegg » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Cool! ::nod::

User avatar
1967redrider
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 3884
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: wirejacks

Postby 1967redrider » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 pm

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
doglegg wrote:Got this little Boy Scout mess kit off Etsy. Evidently it belonged to David Hall of troop 112. I always wonder what was the proper spoon or were there various? Appears that someone took the knife to a buffing wheel.

1967redrider wrote:I've got the fish knife and a Scout set with the ever so elusive spoon. You can look at 20 of these sets and see a different spoon in each one. Is mine original? Who knows. ::shrug::


These are the only 2 spoons that I have that came from utensil kits.
The top one says STAINLESS U.S.A. and the bottom one says STAINLESS BY WALLACE.
As far as I know, they are the originals that came with the utensil kits that I have.
But more recently than the ones you guys posted.


The spoon I have looks most similar to the one posted on Page 1. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:22 pm

1967redrider wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:
doglegg wrote:Got this little Boy Scout mess kit off Etsy. Evidently it belonged to David Hall of troop 112. I always wonder what was the proper spoon or were there various? Appears that someone took the knife to a buffing wheel.



These are the only 2 spoons that I have that came from utensil kits.
The top one says STAINLESS U.S.A. and the bottom one says STAINLESS BY WALLACE.
As far as I know, they are the originals that came with the utensil kits that I have.
But more recently than the ones you guys posted.


The spoon I have looks most similar to the one posted on Page 1. ::nod::


Is it maker marked?
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
1967redrider
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 3884
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: wirejacks

Postby 1967redrider » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:11 pm

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
1967redrider wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:
These are the only 2 spoons that I have that came from utensil kits.
The top one says STAINLESS U.S.A. and the bottom one says STAINLESS BY WALLACE.
As far as I know, they are the originals that came with the utensil kits that I have.
But more recently than the ones you guys posted.


The spoon I have looks most similar to the one posted on Page 1. ::nod::


Is it maker marked?


I think it just says STAINLESS but I will check tonight for sure.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:05 pm

1967redrider wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:
1967redrider wrote:
The spoon I have looks most similar to the one posted on Page 1. ::nod::


Is it maker marked?


I think it just says STAINLESS but I will check tonight for sure.


I'm slightly curious as I don't ever remember seeing an older scouting utensil kit spoon with a maker mark.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:38 am

Well, this arrived today and I have no idea what to do with the handle spacer/blade guard. It looks like it was filled in with some sort of material that hardened as it dried, almost like plaster. That is what the sides of the handle look like. The bottom looks like it was filled in with a different material because it is a different color. What do I do? I don't want to leave it the way it is. Any ideas how to remove the material(s) without having to chip away and damage the handles? There are 8 pictures. The first 4 are the knife in question. The last 4 are of the same (proper) style knife that I already had. ANY help would be appreciated. ::tu::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
Byrd
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: wirejacks

Postby Byrd » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:47 am

Dremel with a small ball end grinder in the center to loosen it up? Then chip away at it with a dental pick? Acetone? That's a hard one if you don't want to scratch up the frame.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:24 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I used my hobby drill with a very, very small drill bit at very, very high rpm's and drilled a series of very tiny holes through the still unknown material along the length of the handle. Then I moved the bit from one hole to the next without removing the bit and the material broke up and fell out. The material on the bottom of the handle came off quite easily after that. I now have another decent looking, Geo Schrade, wire handle knife. The result is pictured below. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
Byrd
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:06 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: wirejacks

Postby Byrd » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Nice cleanup on a nice knife. Glad it went well. Did you figure out what the stuff was?
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead, California

Re: wirejacks

Postby New_Windsor_NY » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Byrd wrote:Nice cleanup on a nice knife. Glad it went well. Did you figure out what the stuff was?


Thank you. ::handshake:: I want to say plaster, but I'm not sure. The stuff on the bottom I believe was resin.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
1967redrider
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 3884
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: wirejacks

Postby 1967redrider » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:30 pm

New_Windsor_NY wrote:Thank you for the suggestions. I used my hobby drill with a very, very small drill bit at very, very high rpm's and drilled a series of very tiny holes through the still unknown material along the length of the handle. Then I moved the bit from one hole to the next without removing the bit and the material broke up and fell out. The material on the bottom of the handle came off quite easily after that. I now have another decent looking, Geo Schrade, wire handle knife. The result is pictured below. :D


Would the knife even open and close properly with all of that plaster(?) stuffed in there? Great looking end result! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter


Return to “Knife Lore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FRJ, galvanic1882, gsmith7158 and 20 guests