Photo of some oldtimers

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
smiling-knife

Photo of some oldtimers

Post by smiling-knife »

Here is a photo from Joseph Rodgers & Sons 1911 to honour all employees with 50 or more years of service. As you can see from the list, some started working for the firm as early a 9 years old, most started in their early teens. The men in this photo were involved in the making of knives from 1861 or earlier. Also note a member of the Platts family (James).
Attachments
023.jpg
022.jpg
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

What a wonderful record! Easily readable; good show, s-k!! I always enjoy your well presented posts!
I am looking for an elusive cutler, who may have come to Connecticut ca. 1850, and possibly returned to England ca. 1860. He attempted to ply his trade over here, eventually forming a cutlery with a fellow named Thompson(sp?). It eventually became Empire Knife Co. under the Alvord family.
His name was Gascoigne, first initial probably C.
s-k, do you have any way to look for that type of info?
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks very much for the reply upnorth. I will try to find some information for you. :) s-k
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Vey cool! Exactly the kinda post this particular forum was made for. Thank you.
Phil
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great stuff S-K!
They sure didn't have the child labor laws we have now days. One fellow started at age 9. Wow, I didn't start working until I was 12. Makes me feel like a piker. :mrgreen:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
justold52

Post by justold52 »

That Age thing looked to me like Camillus did some thing right to keep so many people working for the company that long even if the employes had to go to a UNION SHOP. We now see why the company did not give the men more benifits every year. I think it is called PROFITS just were not there.

I fell this is all from when BILL CLINTON was Pres at the time opened the gates to China. but he was not alone IMO.
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

upnorth wrote: I am looking for an elusive cutler, who may have come to Connecticut ca. 1850, and possibly returned to England ca. 1860. He attempted to ply his trade over here, eventually forming a cutlery with a fellow named Thompson(sp?). It eventually became Empire Knife Co. under the Alvord family. His name was Gascoigne, first initial probably C.
s-k, do you have any way to look for that type of info?
Hi Found the following for you upnorth

Joseph Gascoigne, living at Hill Top in the village of Attercliffe (1.5 mi East of Sheffield market)..... Coud not find anything on C. Gascoigne.

Charles Thompson, living in the hamlet of Upper Heeley (2 mi south of Sheffield)

Both men listed as pen and pocket knife makers in 1834 Pigots Directory of Professions and Trades. Both do not appear in an 1852 directory. Perhaps having left for the US by then. Will see if I can narrow it down any further. :) s-k
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

I appreciate you going to this trouble, s-k!
Do you mind sending me your email address?

charlie.campagna@telus.net
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

You're very welcome upnorth. Email sent. :) s-k
OldToenailCollector

Don't you love it!

Post by OldToenailCollector »

Thanks for sharing this great photo- S-K.
To me the "life and times" is one of the best parts of collecting old knives.

Great to have a photo of James Platts too!!
Scott
http://www.elephanttoenails.com
http://www.iKnifeCollector.com

...having more fun than I did as a kid collecting rocks!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”