Some Camillus Knife Lore

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Gr8Scout

Camillus Digest

Post by Gr8Scout »

I get the most interesting mail... and yesterday's brought me something from CAMCO to show to you all. What seems to be the second issue of the 'Camillus Digest', May, 1952 issue.

Think 'Reader's Digest' in both size, content, layout and perhaps even outlook and point of view. It is all-American with a small town flavor. Very first article in this is by Bertrand Russell; the last page is a printed excerpt from Mary Margaret McBride's radio show, probably a commercial, extrolling the virtues of her Camillus kitchen knives.

First half of the little book is mostly about the village of Camillus and local color and the company Camillus. Short articles all, informative and concise. The second half subject is 'Public Office vs. Corruption', and I can tell you, not much has changed in fifty odd years. Several articles about Public, civil service, the way things should be or should have been. Honesty and integrity.

I am loath to open up this brand new condition book and scan the pages, showing the articles, but this is information to disseminate to you, not my private company. I will scan and show in near future in this thread.

Tom, can you add anything more about this Camillus company semi-annual publication? Have I described it well??

Phil
Attachments
Camillus digest.jpg
Camillus digest.jpg (49.4 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
CAMCO

Post by CAMCO »

The CAMILLUS DIGEST was edited by Alfred Lief during the early 1950's. These books were given to customers and employees.

Tom Williams
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

8) ::tu:: ::tu::

Keep it coming!

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Very interesting! "Knowledge is Power" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
dannyb

Post by dannyb »

CAMCO wrote:I will be sending some more info to Phil (Gr8Scout) to post here. I recently acquired my files from Camillus.

Phil Gibbs moved to Arkansas, not Arizona. Phil ws a great asset to Camillus and many of his designs made up the Camillus (as well as other knife companies) lines. Phil can you post some info on the new bayonet?

Tom Williams
Oops !!! Reading comprehension/retention not one of my strong points..

Still, AR or AZ - I wish for them peace and prosperity...

Looking forward to seeing more from the Digest - Thanks Tom/Phil...

Now, if I could just find that picture of an Oregon BIG MOUTH BASS I'd be set !!!!

Dale, I've lived in the "south" all my life - couldn't catch a "ten-pounder" if I drained the lake !! Well Done.. :D Congrats !!!

dannyb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

dannyb wrote:Now, if I could just find that picture of an Oregon BIG MOUTH BASS I'd be set !!!!

Dale, I've lived in the "south" all my life - couldn't catch a "ten-pounder" if I drained the lake !! Well Done.. :D Congrats !!!

dannyb
:lol: :lol: :lol: I hadn't thought of draining the lake before.......but in this case it would have been more of a challenge, as I caught it in the Willamette River.

I think I will have to go to Verizon to figure out how to get the pic.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
LRV

Post by LRV »

Phil,
I have scanned a copy of the Camillus Digest already so save the binding.
I'll have it on the web page shortly.

Preview...

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... ts-sec.pdf
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is great! ::tu::
Thanks Tom, Phil & Larry.

In reading the Digest I could not help being impressed with how much more civic minded people were in 1952 than they are today. It sounds like a great time to be alive (I was, but only 1 year old) and working in the Camillus factory.

I was also struck by the loyalty of Camillus as a company to their employees. Something almost unheard of in today's business world.

The story about the Volunteer Fire Department also showed Camillus' commitment to the community.

No wonder Camillus had so many loyal employees. If Camillus was typical of the cutlery industry in those days, it is no wonder that American Cutlery became the world's standard.

With the shift in recent years of the attitude of corporate America toward their employees, where the employees are no longer the building blocks of a successful company but are treated like a commodity, we have lost a great deal culturally as well as industrially.

It was nice to get a glimpse into the past when companies were ran by men & women who knew, interacted with, and valued their people. So unlike today's world where bean counters disrupt the lives of thousands by moving factories to a foreign country to save a few dollars. While they may save a few dollars, they disrupt the lives of many, as well as lower the quality of their product and cause great damage to the American economy. The phrase "Penny wise and pound foolish," comes to mind.

Just my 2¢.

Thanks again for sharing this. I look forward to the next one.
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
LRV

Post by LRV »

Alfred Lief also wrote a great book about Camillus knife Co.
Here is another submission for the new web page preview...

Its large at 3mb save a copy but I have turned security on to prevent printing and editing.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... illuss.pdf
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”