Pine Knot E-toe

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pine Knot E-toe

Post by Miller Bro's »

Attachments
fake.JPG
fake.JPG (30.27 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
fake2.JPG
AAPK Janitor
Hyzer1911

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by Hyzer1911 »

Here is another pine knot stamp that i have found that is different from the earlier posted images. (Most people who have seen it in person think its real). Anyone know the history behind this one... I'll try to get better pictures soon. Even if opinion is fake...I'd still like to know more about it. I think the knife has been owned by the same guy for 40 years now. Are the fakes more recent?

It
20190411_230119.jpg
20190406_093348.jpg
20190411_230631.jpg
RobesonsRme.com wrote:The knife stamp illustrated in the comparison between authentic and fake that is ID'd as fake is mine and it is indeed fake.

However, the stamp on my fake and that toenail shown above are not the same. There are details in the bird's head that are present on the toenail, but not on my fake.

I don't know that the stamp on the knife ID'd as authentic is the only stamp Belknap ever used. They had Pine Knot knives made by different manufacturers. They didn't all use the same stamp.

That toenail Tony Bose bought looks awfully real to me.

Pics below. Expand the toenail to see the difference.

Charlie Noyes
Hyzer1911

Post by Hyzer1911 »

I think the above stamp is real. Notice how the font on "pine knot" is smaller at the bottom of each letter anticipating the curve around the emblem.

Also, I've been told that the signature is one of the following:

Ja.W.Price
Jma W. Price
Jno.W.Price
Jas W. Price

Any idea on which is correct?

Found this interesting article as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5086601830
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....I got started reading all this and couldn't stop!!......all this is pretty interesting!!!!................. ::tu:: .............
Hyzer1911

Post by Hyzer1911 »

Here is one that i own. However, the tang stamp is never completely visible.... which makes me wonder if this was a parts knife reassembled.
20190416_190839.jpg
20190416_190946.jpg
20190416_190957.jpg
Hyzer1911 wrote:I think the above stamp is real. Notice how the font on "pine knot" is smaller at the bottom of each letter anticipating the curve around the emblem.

Also, I've been told that the signature is one of the following:

Ja.W.Price
Jma W. Price
Jno.W.Price
Jas W. Price

Any idea on which is correct?

Found this interesting article as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5086601830
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I was going through some old threads on here and came across this Pine Knot E toe thread.It was very interesting to read the thoughts on if this was a fake or real. I have this same toenail,I purchased it 1992 with 6 other knives at an antique shop.The owner said he was firm at $45 for all seven knives,wish I could find another deal like that.The pictures weren't clear with the OP knife,but mine looks to have the same bone jigging,I always thought the wormgroove bone looked like Robeson bone to me.I found some pics I took of it a while ago.
Attachments
P3091130.JPG
P3091131.JPG
P3091132.JPG
P3091133.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That is one sweet toenail Scott ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by wlf »

I reread the entire thread. Hmmm?

Whatever, it’s nice .
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This is a great learning thread, and has taught me, "the truth is in the details." ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

knifegnome wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 am I was going through some old threads on here and came across this Pine Knot E toe thread.It was very interesting to read the thoughts on if this was a fake or real. I have this same toenail,I purchased it 1992 with 6 other knives at an antique shop.The owner said he was firm at $45 for all seven knives,wish I could find another deal like that.The pictures weren't clear with the OP knife,but mine looks to have the same bone jigging,I always thought the wormgroove bone looked like Robeson bone to me.I found some pics I took of it a while ago.
This is a Phoenix Knife Co. Made knife.
Roger
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Roger, did phoenix make these for pine knot, or was the pine knot made out of a phoenix? If you know what I mean.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Paul,I'm not making a statement on the authenticity of the stamp.The knife was made in the Phoenix factory.They did extensive contract work.They were owned by John Chatillon and Sons.You see few Phoenix stamped knives,mostly Chatillon.I have seen Phoenix made toenails for Henry Sears,WR Case and Son,Union Razor,Wythe Hardware,McIntosh Heather,Tom Ray,Bridge,North American and others.
Roger
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Thanks for the information Roger, I 'm glad to know Phoenix made it as I am trying to collect them ,I only have two with the Phoenix tang stamp.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”