Extended blade folders

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Mason

Extended blade folders

Post by Mason »

A recent picture by Miller Bro's prompted this post.
Story has it that the first folding knife with an extended blade was designed by the French Admiral "d'Estaing" in the late 1700s. There are several known examples of this type of knife from England and France dating from the mid 1800s, but these types are more commonly found from the late 1800s onward. Models from England ceased prior to WWII, but German examples were popular from the late 19th century right up to the late 20th century. Similar types are also found from other countries throughout Europe and the far East. Here is a c.1930s Sheffield example from "G. Butler" with checkered horn handles. Also shown is the original sheath which carries the "G. Butler" mark pressed into the leather. Please add other pictures of these model types.
Attachments
Butler extended blade (2500x1674).jpg
tjmurphy

Re: Extended blade folders

Post by tjmurphy »

Pretty cool, Mason. ::tu:: ::tu:: Is the button a release and is the tab on the blade end of the frame a lock/release to close?
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice Butler ::tu::

Here are a couple.
Attachments
18-2.jpg
18-2.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
19-2.jpg
19-2.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
20-2.jpg
20-2.jpg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
55.JPG
AAPK Janitor
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Here's the only one I have: H. Boker & Co. Solingen with original sheath.
Attachments
105-0577_IMG.JPG
105-0578_IMG.JPG
105-0579_IMG.JPG
105-0580_IMG.JPG
105-0582_IMG.JPG
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
Mason

Post by Mason »

tjmurphy wrote:Pretty cool, Mason. ::tu:: ::tu:: Is the button a release and is the tab on the blade end of the frame a lock/release to close?
Thanks TJ, and yes you are exactly correct. The tab release is a simple solid mechanism but a little awkward to use with just a thumb nail as were the old Italian switchblade pick lock models.
Mason

Post by Mason »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Nice Butler ::tu::

Here are a couple.
Nice examples MB, and neat to see an original sheath with that back lever locking model.
Mason

Post by Mason »

thegreedygulo wrote:Here's the only one I have: H. Boker & Co. Solingen with original sheath.
Beautiful Boker model, that is a great style and the only one like that I have seen with a Boker stamp.
Mason

Post by Mason »

Here is another German variation from the late 1800s which is unmarked. The blade is manually opened by pushing the button in the handle and closed by pushing the recessed back lock.
Attachments
German extended blade (2500x1674).jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The Germans seemed to love this type of hunting knife, I see more German made ones than anything else.

Good old English made ones are much harder to find ::nod::

I like the bolsters on that one ::drool:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I had a military bayonet when I was a boy, bought from Rodger's Army-Navy Surplus in the mid-1950's.

It would fold like these knives.

I have no idea of its country of origin. I do not recall getting rid of it. It might be another of the things of mine that my Dad took it upon himself to sell after I went to college and the military. I just know none of them turned up when we liquated the estate.

I used to think the extended version was for killing and the folded version for peeling potatos.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mason

Post by Mason »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I had a military bayonet when I was a boy, bought from Rodger's Army-Navy Surplus in the mid-1950's.

It would fold like these knives.

I have no idea of its country of origin. I do not recall getting rid of it. It might be another of the things of mine that my Dad took it upon himself to sell after I went to college and the military. I just know none of them turned up when we liquated the estate.

I used to think the extended version was for killing and the folded version for peeling potatos.

Charlie Noyes
That sounds interesting and I'd like to see a picture if you ever run across it.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Beautiful knives guys!

I have one I posted a few times because it fit different threads as it does this one. I love the concept/design on these knives. I bought it for my son to the tune of 800 bucks (yea, not a killer deal), not a common knife and I wanted it. I had the intention of leaving it to him when I passed but gave it to him now to enjoy. It has the original sheath, rarer than the knife itself as I understand, but I don't have a pic of the sheath unfortuately. Sheath only accommodate the knife in the closed position so it is a bit striking for a sheath, in my opinion. Will try to get a pic of the sheath next time I am at my son's place.

CASE TESTED XX 551

Jerry
Attachments
TESTED 551 _mark side.jpg
TESTED 551 Back.jpg
TESTED 551 Closed pile side.jpg
TESTED 551 Closed.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Nice jerry
Mason

Post by Mason »

zp4ja wrote:Beautiful knives guys!

I have one I posted a few times because it fit different threads as it does this one. I love the concept/design on these knives. I bought it for my son to the tune of 800 bucks (yea, not a killer deal), not a common knife and I wanted it. I had the intention of leaving it to him when I passed but gave it to him now to enjoy. It has the original sheath, rarer than the knife itself as I understand, but I don't have a pic of the sheath unfortuately. Sheath only accommodate the knife in the closed position so it is a bit striking for a sheath, in my opinion. Will try to get a pic of the sheath next time I am at my son's place.

CASE TESTED XX 551

Jerry
There aren't many American knives which fit into this category, but this one is a classic. Great knife in great condition, and the stag is beautiful.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Ricky and Mason!

Interesting that when I look closer at the posted knives that lever locks and press buttons were used. All are some beauties for sure. If I recall correctly, the CASE I posted has a liner lock to open and close.

All beautiful as I said and so I hate to single one out but I do have to say Dimitri, the one with the lever lock and swing guard is a real gem. I am really drawn to swing guard knives as you know. My personal favorite attribute of a knife.

Thanks all for sharing these ingenious design (in my opinion) knives.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

zp4ja wrote:If I recall correctly, the CASE I posted has a liner lock to open and close.
Beautiful knife Jerry!
I have never handled one of these Case knives, I would like to see the locking system if you could get a picture of it. Also the sheath would be interesting to see as well, most often the sheath is missing on these knives.
zp4ja wrote:The one with the lever lock and swing guard is a real gem. I am really drawn to swing guard knives as you know. My personal favorite attribute of a knife.
Thank you, I like swing guards too! :)
AAPK Janitor
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a link to a sheath for Jerry's 551.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... 2d6f74.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I don't know if the bayonet in these pics are of the bayonet I had, but they are very similar.

These are of a Carcano Italian M-38.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
CarcanoM38Folding367Bayo(1).jpg
CarcanoM38Folding367Bayo(2).jpg
CarcanoM38Folding367Bayo.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Charlie, I would like to find one of those ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

wazu013 wrote:Here's a link to a sheath for Jerry's 551.
Thanks, it`s an attractive looking leather sheath ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

MB, I Googled "Folding bayonet" under "images" to find those pics. There were multiple examples from which to choose.

Surely, some of them were from sales sites.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Mason

Post by Mason »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I don't know if the bayonet in these pics are of the bayonet I had, but they are very similar.

These are of a Carcano Italian M-38.

Charlie Noyes
That's a great old folding bayonet, thanks for the pictures.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

HET ! !! ! !! ! !

anybody seen a chat room
anywhere round here???

plse advise
Attachments
IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Nice knife Dave!

Could you please possibly shoot a pic and post for Dimitri of the locking mechanisms on the knife? He asked me to do it but it will be awhile. As I recall there are 2 liner locks on opposite sides of the knife. one to open/close in closed position, one to open/close in blade open position. If you can't no big deal, I will get to it when I can.

Thanks and Regards, Jerry
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Four years later I found this one.
Attachments
918_008.jpg
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”