Just checking in

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
lt632ret

Just checking in

Post by lt632ret »

No I am not dead. Please pay all bets. I have not been around much, Do to personal family illness's ect as well as a couple of other projects I have once again been remiss. in postings ( like anyone cared. ). I have as you know been pushing ( more than pushing ) for a change in NYS law to establish a definitive legal procedure which would allow the display of automatic knives. These knives are considered by many to be illegal in NY when along with there being legal to military, peace officers, and other speciality professions ( also if you have one arm. ). Have also always been legal to own and carry if you have a valid NYS hunting, fishing, or trapping license and are doing so in the pursuit of such endeaver. This law would finally lay down a definite procedure so that these artifacts of history might be displayed like any other artifact of history without the fear of individual interpretation of the law ( which is often misinterpreteted for individual agenda ). Like confiscation or mutilation either for simple acquistion or just do to the nebulous nature of the present laws. PS no license just cut off an arm.

That being said bills. - S423 Ass. - A1241 are once again on the NYS agenda. I could tell you what this has entailed and still does but frankly am running out of steam . There are several articles relating to what has gone on in this battle of idiots. ( Schrade collectors are us and other sites have them). NYS being the idiots on one side and me being the idiot on the other. ( HUMM sounds a bit one sided ). Senator Larkin NYS and Assembly person Gunther are the sponsers. it went through the senate last year and I have written about the political bull that halted it in assembly committee last year. I will not rehash it since there is no reason to make enemys by saying what really happened instead lets just say that the essence of the law was explained to the lawmakers and supposidly they are satisfied. I have been waiting for an email form from the assembly person so that I could begin a program to solicite backing from you guys and other organizations and individuals. I have been assured it was coming and I still do not have it. When I do I will advise everyone and if you could send the form in support to the address I hope to give you at that time it will I am sure help. You cannot believe how long it has taken to get this far and frankly I do not believe anything until it happens.

Now if it dosent happen I have had it I will not stand before these people again who make the laws and explain the law to them. So if it works fine if it dosent I did my thing and have a couple of alternatives I am exploring.

That being said there have been a couple of other things which have kept me from posting much, first no questions if I do not get questions I cannot take a stab ( get it ) at answering them which is fine since I get tired of making up answers. Next last week I posted 52 items on ebay the same day. 20 cent day . I shall not make that mistake again that is simply to mucking futch for one old guy. A lot were knife shields little bitty knife shields to small for me to pick up and or see. I made up a number code to keep them straight and then cleverly screwed up the code . I put expressly in the ads US or Canada only so a guy in Napali Italy bought 27 lbs of parts cost 133.00 for the items shipping 102.00 makes as much sense to me as anything else. Remember Dean Martin ( In Napali where love is king heres what they sing in Napali. When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that amore. )

Now last week I picked up a few dollars on ebay although with paypal , ebay, and who knows who else. I really never know exactly how much. However I looked in the Cowans auction ( which was taken off Ebay after several days being on ( Ebay cleverly figured out after 4 or five days that the hundreds of guns listed violated there rules If I put a 4 inch 100 year old automatic on it is taken off in hours. ). In any event I spent about twice what I took in. But I am only in a hole half as deep as I would have been.

Which brings me to my last point ( I am sure this being the last point will make everyone happy ). I bought a Custers last stand Schrade contract bowie from Cowans I have several editions of these bowies and I hoped to be able to do a posting on them however I have not received the Custer yet so that also has been holding up my posting. I still have dozens of Schrade Waldens ect however finding the time and getting to those displays ( all available room has now been utilized for displays now filling up the dining room table. ) has not been possible.

Oh yes and one more thing a big thanks to Dave Ruger ( DRUGER ) on the forum. He lives nearby and is the son of a great friend of mine. I bought out of self preservation one of those tin buildings that come in a box weigh a zillion lbs and when you open looks like a bunch of rolled out beer cans with a couple of 5 lb pound bags of screws . Without him that had about as much chance as a cow flop rolling uphill of ever getting put together. Dave is a carpenter he put down flooring ect. Then he used an interesting building technique ( he read the instructions ). You see usually I read the frist line and then say OK I understand. Then about 10 minutes later I take out the tin snips and say they must have made a mistake I will just cut a little here and there. Then about an hour later I throw the whole thing out and get drunk. ( Which I know how to do good ). In any event Dave put it together and now I can actually get into the garage. I would say 2 more buildings like this one and at least I can store stuff correctly. You know what else he had no parts left is that not amazing I always have stuff that obviously be had put in the box by mistake.

Any way those are some of the reasons I have not posted. Oh yes a couple more fishing and playing poker. LT PS Also a big thankyou to Dave wife Sherrie who helped Dave ( while I cooked ).
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Lt; Thanks for the update, glad to see you are still alive and drinking!

err.........................I mean kicking! :mrgreen:
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

LT, can you tell me as much as you know about the 125th Walden Village
Clasp knife, I recently came into possesion of one, my one has a serial number on the liner 0591 but not on the bolster, do you know how many were in the run, how much they were originally, anything else you can mention about the knife would also be appreciated. good to here you are still around LT.

Rusty1
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

nice to see your still with us LT, can't wait to see some more writeups.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I knew you were busy, but I was getting ready to call you and check on you. Thanks for the update.

Glad you got the building up. Now if he can put the buildings up faster than you buy knives, you will be able to make some progress! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am looking forward to seeing the Bowies! ::tu::

Take care Amigo,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Rusty, I guess I can make something up quickly. In 1979 Schrade came out with there 75th anniversary clasp issue ( two versions ) stag and staglon. If you collect Schrades I am sure you have seen them ( see pics ). Unknown to most they also were going to do a scrimshaw version they only made one I know of . They had the plastic boxes and the proto type for the knife basicly the scrim was a presentation version similar to the plate on the staglon version. the back was a scroll. This was a ( Schrade ) board knife and cost me a mint because there were others who knew what it was. I have the scroll die that was used and had the die for the front but lost it . However I do have the knife and the one die. Now Schrade decided not to release or sell the knife . They went with the Stag and staglon versions. The following year 1980 Walden approached Schrade wanting a special issue for the 125 anniversary. Schrade had all these blanks all they had to do was design an etch for the blade and scrims for the sides . I do have all of these dies. See pics. So that is how they came into being. Some were also marked Walden historical society. along with the regular markings. They just changed what they were going to originally print on the blank boxes. I do not know how many were made . There were a lot more than originally planed ( since Schrade having the materials got generous and made more than originally consigned. Many came without boxes. Loose. I hope this helps ( not bad for making something up quick it was making the dies for this tale in a couple of hours which was tough. LT PS this 125th and the one known proto are the only clasp models Schrade ever made in the white delrin used for scrimshaws. Although they did make a Micara ( yellower material) version for a special presidential set. Some had numbers most did not since more than were planned for ended up being made.
Attachments
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG (15.49 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG (24.74 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG (19.42 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG (18.76 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG (22.08 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG (23.38 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG (38.6 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG (32.29 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (26.42 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (26.79 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hi LT. It's great to hear from you. Sometimes your posts make my whole week. I love the way you operate. Great stuff!!! Life lessons scattered all throughout most everything you write.
LT wrote:I have been waiting for an email form from the assembly person so that I could begin a program to solicite backing from you guys and other organizations and individuals. I have been assured it was coming and I still do not have it. When I do I will advise everyone and if you could send the form in support to the address I hope to give you at that time it will I am sure help. You cannot believe how long it has taken to get this far and frankly I do not believe anything until it happens.
I am anxiouse to do anything I can to help. I hope they get that email to you. I would sure like to pass it on to everyone I know of and do anything else I can for further support. ::tu::

Bryan
Bryan
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Thanks for the info on the 125th Walden Village Clasp knife, along with the associated info/history on the other Clasps. Also it's great to see the dies for the handles, it's something most collectors never get to see. Fantastic LT.

Rusty1
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

LT, we were all starting to wonder. Glad you have been busy, idle hands are the devils workshop so they say.

I know what you mean about the 20 cent ebay auctions. I always put a lot of stuff on with high prices, if they sell fine, if they don't fine. But one can list too much stuff. Sorry you got screwed.

You know those of us to stand ready to help on the switchblade issue, as we have tried to do before. Wishing you the best on this, it has been a long, long road to buracracy I know. Do I still have that stashed away on my computer? I think.

Always enjoy your postings, as you know,

Phil

http://members.aol.com/akaswitchblades/ ... ticle.html

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”