PREMIER CUTLERY CO. 1921-1955

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
kootenay joe

Re: PREMIER CUTLERY CO. 1921-1955

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice one Ken. I think the British ones are the older Premiers and the best made.
kj
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

An early bone handle premier , picked it up for 10.00 at our local flea market .
I’ll probably sharpen up the blades and carry it .

Thanks for looking .
Mike
Attachments
18A6CE0E-1B4D-4D7A-A041-704BF2D7EA9A.jpeg
119D38A8-BBAC-46EB-94D9-DCB2C4C374F0.jpeg
DDE0D13B-1721-446B-A23F-87C2851188A4.jpeg
78DED32A-4A6A-41B0-8B9E-0E45E24B9121.jpeg
FB0311A8-8E26-467A-A9E7-B2CF673CEC1A.jpeg
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That’s an unusual one. I’ve not seen one before with the Razor Steel stamp. Looks like a prior owner modified the master into a screwdriver. Should make a good carry though. The German-made Premiers I have all have good steel. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree: odd markings and "Premier" is on the back tang. It does not look to have been re-bladed. Is it marked "Germany" ?
kj
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Yes it’s marked Germany , blades are all definitely original .

kootenay joe wrote:I agree: odd markings and "Premier" is on the back tang. It does not look to have been re-bladed. Is it marked "Germany" ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just to clarify, I was not implying there’s anything wrong with the knife. Just haven’t seen a Premier marked like that one, but there’s a lot I haven’t seen. The guys that ran Premier had knives made by different companies around the world. England, Germany, Italy, Japan, Brazil, U.S.A., and probably some others I haven’t seen yet. And I believe at least until near their end, Premier had good quality. I’d love to get my hands on one of their catalogs, just to see what all they had to offer.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ken i understand. My comment was just that the markings are odd. Likely this is a German knife but i cannot see it marked. Could be British as my second guess.
kj
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Like I said it’s marked Germany .
Attachments
13E6E66E-274A-40F9-8694-89110AEA0FFE.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K., got it, German made Cattle knife. Would you put the age as closer to '21 than '55 ?
kj
Johnnycash

Post by Johnnycash »

I have these interesting displays from this company in my upcoming auction.
www.auctionowls.com
Attachments
Display Cabinets
Display Cabinets
Digitalone

Post by Digitalone »

Hello all.

New member here and just wanted to add a penknife that I think is relevant to this thread. It was given to me by my step father and was his when he was a boy. Born in 1918, joined the RCMP in 1941 and retired Chief Sup in 1973. Passed away in 2011.

Its a Premier with the appropriate logos on the blades along with #3338 Germany on one of the other blades. Not sure what that would be other than a model # perhaps. I love this knife and was hoping that someone here would be able to give me an idea on how to clean it up. The blades and the interior are quite tarnished. No rust just blackened.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Premier Pocket Knife - 1.jpeg
Premier Pocket Knife - 2.jpeg
Premier Pocket Knife - 3.jpeg
Premier Pocket Knife - 4.jpeg
Premier Pocket Knife - 5.jpeg
Premier Pocket Knife - 6.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK!

Not a lot of love for Premiers among collectors for some reason, but I like them. And I like yours. What is the closed length of the knife?

Regarding cleaning your knife, here’s some tips and tricks. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape so it shouldn’t take much. From looking at it and your description, it sounds like you just have some dirt and what collectors call “patina” which is a benign form of iron oxide. Patina won’t harm it and actually retards formation of active red rust. Unless for some reason you just want to make the knife “shiny”, I wouldn’t try to remove patina.

Otherwise just put some mild dish soap (like Dawn, Joy, Ivory or equivalent) in lukewarm water, an old toothbrush and a soft cotton cloth. Put the knife in the soapy water and let it soak a while, then scrub it with the toothbrush. Repeat until no dirt comes out. Rinse thoroughly, blow it dry (compressed air if you have it). Be sure to get all the water out of the joints and cracks. Once it’s completely dry put a drop or two of light oil into all the joints and work the blades open and closed to distribute it. You’re done! Being as the handle covers are synthetic try to keep solvents and oil off of the handles. And too much oil collects and holds dirt so just a drop or two in each joint is all you want.

If you decide you want shiny anyway, see the link I provided.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Digitalone

Post by Digitalone »

Thanks Ken. Appreciate the information. I like these knifes also as I owned a white pearl one when I was young but unfortunately over the years it went missing. My Stepfather was obsessive about keeping stuff from his past. Case in point I have his fathers Flintlock from the late 1800's.

The fact that this knife is Canadian and so old also makes it desirable, for me at least. As for the length I have included a couple of images for reference.

Thanks again for the info on cleaning. I'll post some updates once its cleaned up a bit.

Cheers.

Dave.
IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looking forward to the updates. Meantime, hope you enjoy the pictures of other Premier knives and the company history in this thread. I have acquired a few more in the past year that I need to get photographed and posted here.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Grenspot

Post by Grenspot »

Hi everyone,

I am not a knife collector but the discourse here reminds me quite a bit of the vintage bicycle forums I do frequent. My father gave me this knife years ago...it was not new when I got it and I have no idea how long he had it. I am curious to know an approximate date. It has a premier stamp on the main blade (it is a 4 blade) and K-78 on the can opener. There is a 'stainless steel made in Japan' stamp. The bone has cracked and I (when I was a kid) glued it back. Obviously it has seen better days but I have a sentimental attachment to it. Can it be repaired and how old might it be? Did Premier Cutlery Co. ever source knives from Japan or was that exclusively the later Premier Cutlery Inc.? For context I grew up in central Ontario so that is likely where this knife originated.

Cheers

- Andrew
IMG_6919.jpg
Attachments
IMG_6921.jpg
IMG_6922.jpg
IMG_6924.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. I have several Premiers including one of that same pattern. It’s pictured here somewhere in a previous post in this thread. I don’t know of any way to determine a date when yours was made, not even approximate or otherwise. If you read through the first two or three pages of this thread it contains everything known about the company and the knives.

Having a knife your father gave you is priceless. For information about repairing bone see the knife repair and restoration forum here. viewforum.php?f=37

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Grenspot

Post by Grenspot »

Thans Ken,

I realize a precise date is unlikely but would the 'Made in Japan' thing preclude this from being Premier Cutlery Co. and mean that it is the later Premier Cutlery Inc. period?

Cheers
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I am not aware of any company documentation, old catalogs or price lists that provide evidence of when where or why they had knives made in any country. World history would say that probably those made in Japan were post-WWII. ::shrug::

BTW the K-78 pattern I have is stamped Germany. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42187&p=507231&hilit=Scout#p507231

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Checkered past

Post by Checkered past »

Good day AAPK. I'm new to the forum but thought I might add a knife to this Premier thread.

My main collection focus is Military edged weapons and have just recently been hooked on Pocket knives. I recently purchased this knife to add to the pile and thought I would like to share.

I am not certain of the date. No date markings on the blade, but I suspect mid to late war due to the can opener. It is stamped circle Premier on the opener blade, and stamped England on the Sheep's foot blade. It has me a little stumped because I know the Navy used the metal scales, but almost all the Navy blades I've seen are 2 blades, not 3.

Anyway, here it is in all its glory! Thanks for your time...
Attachments
20200526_054921.jpg
20200526_054956.jpg
20200526_055030.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Nice find. Could be military or civilian but it sure looks like a nautical knife. Can opener makes sense to me - sailors gotta eat too. :D

Thanks for showing it, and adding it to this thread. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Checkered past

Post by Checkered past »

Actually the can opener is the part that has me stumped. Most Navy guys are eating in the mess on a tray. No need to open cans.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Life raft survival knife? Never seen one with a spike though. ::shrug::

Premier was a jobber, not a manufacturer, and had a lot of different, some unusual, patterns made by makers all over the globe. I’d love to find a catalog from them but have never seen one.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

This 4 1/4" Moose is my first and only Premier
Attachments
20211221_103105.jpg
20211221_103126.jpg
20211221_103333.jpg
20211221_103349.jpg
Ike
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find Ike! Made in U.S.A. so someone may recognize the maker based on the jigging pattern. Looks like long pulls on both blades.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:25 pm This.....
Great premier of a GREAT PREMIER, Ike! ::tu:: ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”