Waterville Manufacturing / Waterville Cutlery Info

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
FRJ

Re: Waterville Manufacturing / Waterville Cutlery Info

Post by FRJ »

LongBlade wrote:Two nice solid Watervilles Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: .... It was indeed Waterville Sunday last week :D ...
Indeed it was and I never saw so many mint Watervilles.
Thanks Lee. ::tu::
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Lovely old knives, Ike! ::tu::
Two great knives, Joe! ::tu:: Those NCCA shows look like good ones. I enjoy looking at the photos they post on their website.
Dan
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

This is one of the Waterville knives I picked up at the Marlboro show. 3 1/2" closed sheep foot jack knife. Used, but not abused condition.
Attachments
WV SFJK FT.jpg
WV SFJK BK.jpg
WV SFJK OPN.jpg
WV SFJK CLSD.jpg
Barry
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1fartsmella wrote:This is one of the Waterville knives I picked up at the Marlboro show. 3 1/2" closed sheep foot jack knife. Used, but not abused condition.
Great knife. Love the shield too!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That was a nice one Barry ::tu:: ::tu:: .. I remember looking at it at some point :D .. interesting jack with a sheep foot and a spey blade... wonder if that was marketed or made for the farm or garden?

Post by FRJ »

A unique and beautiful knife, Barry. Great score.

I got this nice old jack that has been around the block. It's really a great knife. 3 3/4" closed.
Attachments
DSCN9798.JPG
DSCN9801.JPG
DSCN9807.JPG
Joe
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Joe, gotta love the "wiggly" shield.
Lee, A jack with sheep foot & spay blades was made for a farmer. Don't know how much "marketing" was done back in the day.
Yes, it was a unique opportunity to be in the right place, at the right time. To be able to purchase knives from this fine collection of antique New England cutlery. Shoulder to shoulder with your knife show buddies, everybody got some fine collectable "keepers". This will be one of those... "Remember that show?" To pick this kind of collection is a rare find.
Barry
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice Barry and Joe, I don't have any patterns like that from any maker but they are nice especially because of the maker. I have a couple of Watervilles that I will take photos of later today and post.
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

1fartsmella wrote:Joe, gotta love the "wiggly" shield.
Lee, A jack with sheep foot & spay blades was made for a farmer. Don't know how much "marketing" was done back in the day.
Yes, it was a unique opportunity to be in the right place, at the right time. To be able to purchase knives from this fine collection of antique New England cutlery. Shoulder to shoulder with your knife show buddies, everybody got some fine collectable "keepers". This will be one of those... "Remember that show?" To pick this kind of collection is a rare find.
Funny that the "wiggly" shield was seen on so many Watervilles in all sizes - I associate that shield with Waterville though not sure other companies used it as well - certainly not to the degree that Waterville used them on knives..

Farm knife sounds right given the blades... marketing in the earlier 1800s was probably through catalogs or displays but early 1900s issues of the American Cutler or Iron Age no doubt had advertisements of many cutleries - certainly not marketing as we know it today... I was using the term loosely :) ...

Now that my computer is back I will get photos of my Watervilles (and a few others) from that memorable show :D ....

Post by FRJ »

LongBlade wrote: Now that my computer is back I will get photos of my Watervilles (and a few others) from that memorable show :D ....
::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

The pearl is 2 1/2 and the bone 2 3/4, the only two I’ve ever found locally here.
Attachments
F7A3F239-9745-4E15-AD1F-9F3725CD0081.jpeg
181DC09A-F847-4F46-AD6A-9047E583007C.jpeg
8A0D0B9C-DABD-4A67-AB1D-9549595052AE.jpeg
A8F833C2-3438-4D7B-B509-EACFEBFA5F8C.jpeg
E6460389-8BFD-4BE4-A28B-E427138E4FB6.jpeg
00D6B63B-5684-446E-A301-FDCE10208C30.jpeg
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Both great knives Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Here's a group shot of my Watervilles from the NCCA Show ::super_happy:: ... No doubt Waterville being one of my favorite CT makers had me in knife hunting heaven and it was fun enjoying it with all the guys there as Barry mentioned ::nod:: .. I promise to post photos of each Waterville knife individually to show the blades etc ::tu:: but spent some time this afternoon taking photos of a different knife that has me intrigued and will be posting it in a new thread :) ...
Watervilles - NCCA 09-2019 DSCN2052.jpeg

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Can’t wait to get a better look at those Lee. Can you elaborate on the collection that became available? How many knives were there? Was it all Waterville Knives? I don’t own any but have always admired them. They kind of tell a story just looking at them. Looks like they are going to good homes. ::tu::
BWT

Post by BWT »

You’re on a roll with the Watervilles Lee. Good looking group will be waiting for more photos!!
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Jay and Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ... As I said before Waterville is one of my favorites and one of the larger sub-collections of mine :wink: ..
JAMESC41001 wrote:Can’t wait to get a better look at those Lee. Can you elaborate on the collection that became available? How many knives were there? Was it all Waterville Knives? I don’t own any but have always admired them. They kind of tell a story just looking at them. Looks like they are going to good homes. ::tu::
Jay - There was alot of knives other than Waterville and some other desirable companies such as Empire - I picked up a nice jigged bone Empire pen too - but the Waterville knives were the most numerous among the 2 tables displayed... In all honesty I never got through all the knives on the 2 tables even though I was there for most of the morning but do know what other friends were finding there ::nod:: .. I started running short on cash and also took off to look around - but I found that Jenner & Knewstub Sportsman's knife (which was the icing on the cake :lol: )... Not sure who was the original owner of all the knives though I understand he may have lived in Waterbury which may explain the rather nice collection...

-----------------

Here is the MOP Waterville Gentleman's knife with a closed length of 3". Quite a nice knife with coined nickel silver liners, engraved aluminum bolsters and a serpentine shield (seen it called serpentine but really don't know if there is a name for it other than "wiggly" :D... The knife had a curved pair of scissors with a nail nick (cuticle scissors), small pen blade and a manicure file. Each blade had a cut-out in MOP handle which also is in perfect shape.. Solid, snappy all the way around - even the scissors!! This is my 4th or 5th knife from Waterville with either engraved aluminum handles or bolsters - interesting and I have seen more aluminum knives from Waterville than any other maker but that just may be a perception - I have others from other companies and the notable part is all have a similar engraving pattern suggesting there was one source for all the companies (maybe a jeweler or knife handle company? ::hmm:: .... Last photo is a Waterville pocket slip which was a bonus and just so happened to fit this knife perfectly.. anyway thanks for looking and more to come in the near future as I get photos done!!
Mark Side DSCN2113.jpeg
Pile Side DSCN2127.jpeg
Blades Open Mark DSCN2145.jpeg
Blades Open Pile DSCN2160 2.jpeg
Coined Liners Blade Side DSCN2185.jpeg
Coined Liners on Spring Side DSCN2209.jpeg
Tang Stamp DSCN2233.jpeg
Knife & Pocket Slip DSCN2245.jpeg
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

That is one cool knife, love how thick it is and the little pouch tops it off. ::tu::

I really miss the shows back east! ::teary_eyes::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

galvanic1882 wrote:That is one cool knife, love how thick it is and the little pouch tops it off. ::tu::

I really miss the shows back east! ::teary_eyes::
Thanks Mike ::handshake:: ...

You should come back and visit with us for the Mystic Show :D ...

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Lee, how did you know that was the knife I most wanted to see. Is it possible the aluminum bolsters were stamped or pressed with a die?? This was around the time the old world Sheffield cutlers we’re paired up with new world production techniques. Interesting time I think. Great little knife. Took some skill to make those scissors as well. Very cool
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Jay ::handshake:: ... That small one did have eye-catching appeal :) .. I think you are right that that the aluminum engraving was done with a press and die - and though they had separate dies for whole handles and bolsters the engraving pattern matches in the great majority I have seen - question remains whether they did them in-house or contracted them - or maybe both ::nod:: .. Given that aluminum was more precious than gold or silver is the background for why jewelers may have done the work - as in sterling handles...

Post by FRJ »

Great knives Bill and Lee. ::tu:: ::tu::

Lee, that little manicure pearl has every thing going for it. Great find. ::nod::
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Joe ::handshake::
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Joe ::handshake:: ...

Post by LongBlade »

This Waterville is a 3 blade Senator - 3 & 3/8" closed. A double spring with the master blade on one side and the pen and manicure blade on opposing ends of the other backspring. I have an aluminum 3 blade Senator made by Waterville as well but this one in MOP rivals the size of a jack knife in terms of overall girth and length of the knife - no doubt this master blade would be the same size as that in a similar sized jack knife. This knife is in very lightly used condition, blades do not appear to have ever been sharpened and MOP in great shape. Knife was no doubt handled and some tarnish/age spots are apparent on the blades - still some polish seen in handle well too. The etch is in good shape but the part of the blade which was handled more often over the last 100 years or so lightened the first few letters abit. The etch from the lighting was not apparent with all blades open so added a closeup of master blade etch. The blade etch (F. J Buchanan) is not a company. I searched "FJ Buchanan and Waterbury" which is where Waterville was located. Interestingly there was a dentist by the name of FJ Buchanan in 1903 who lived in Waterbury according to archived records. Perhaps this was the original owner of the knife and being from Waterbury had Waterville Cut Co produce a personalized etch on the master blade for him - there was no shield on this knife.. anyway just a guess but a definite possibility. Thanks for looking ::tu:: - more to come as I get time...
Mark Side DSCN2303.jpeg
Pile Side DSCN2291.jpeg
Blades Open DSCN2319.jpeg
Etch & Tang Stamp DSCN2402.jpeg

Post by FRJ »

a beautiful pearl Waterville, Lee, with a very obvious etch. Nice catch! ::tu::
Joe
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

That is an impressive knife Lee, as was the Cattleman's posted earlier. Impressive also, was the piecing together of the possible history of the knife.
Ike

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”