Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps

Post by danno50 »

Excellent find, Bill, beautiful old knife! ::tu:: Interesting pearl inlays on the handles.
Dan
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Dan for the comments. I really like the pearl inlays also, kinda sold me on the knife!
Bill
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Old - late 1800's. Rare tang stamp - Rather & Co.
Posted elsewhere but belongs here also.
Ken
IMG_20191008_2059489.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20191008_2056070.jpg
IMG_20191008_2100049.jpg
IMG_20191008_2056328.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful old knife, Mumbleypeg! ::tu:: ::tu:: Love the way all those blades are fit in so nicely!
Dan
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice and interesting Ken,nice find ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

BWT wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm Recent pickup. Marsh Brothers and Co superior cutlery Sheffield. Looks like horn handles,5 inches long, probably mid to late 1800s. Thanks for looking!
Awesome knife!! Can you guys Please help me learn what these "Round Circle Inlays" were designed for??
I have seen them many times on antique knives but never have I read WHY!!!
I have this knife from the Early 1900s with LEAD Round inlays
Thank you ALL for the HELP
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice knife Mark, hopefully someone might have an answer for you and me as well. I only have one other knife with the inlays that look to be maybe bronze? I imagine this is a German made knife also. It has HH inside of what looks like maybe flags?? It’s a very solid knife with good snap.
Attachments
F47DCBEC-3770-46D9-9C7D-8498A7236288.jpeg
5241015E-A226-4EB4-87CD-7140976451E9.jpeg
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Bill, I'm a bit late but that is a nice old Marsh Bros. you have there. Nice catch. ::tu::

Ken, that is a beautifully designed and built knife there. It is dripping class and accomplished skill.

I think the round circular inlays are simply adornment.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great looking knife Ken ::tu:: ::tu:: - I really like all the blades/implements in that handle ! Where was Rather & Co located?

Mark - Maybe the lead discs add some weight and a hefty knife is something some like as a user ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ... just guessing but have seen similar circular inlays of MOP which was adornment more than function :)..

Nice knife Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: - the contrasting pins always suggest German to me but understand a few of the Sheffield companies in later years of the 1900s also used them on some knives...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

LongBlade wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 am Great looking knife Ken ::tu:: ::tu:: - I really like all the blades/implements in that handle ! Where was Rather & Co located?
Thanks to all for the compliments on the knife. It's an interesting one, fairly small (3 inches) especially considering it has 10 blades including the corkscrew. A couple of the smaller blades and the scissors have "pellet" style blade pulls in order to provide access. It has a toothpick made from tortoise shell and a small earwax spoon. ::woot::

I haven't been able to definitively learn where Rather & Co. was located. One source says Germany with a question mark (not sure what that means) but the master blade is deeply stamped with crossed swords and "Acier Superfine" which is French. Goins' lists the company but gives no information. I have two other knives (different patterns) stamped the same. So best guess is France or Germany.

When I found the knife the MOP handle cover on one side was broken and partly missing. The other side was tight and intact. Otherwise the knife was in great shape especially considering how old it is. I sent the knife to Bill DeShivs who put a new MOP cover on it, perfectly matched to the original intact side. He's a talented master cutler. ::nod::

Below is a "before" picture showing the knife as found. You can see the toothpick and ear spoon, the broken MOP cover, and the interesting little lever extension from the bolster, by which the spoon blade is accessed (think Russlock, only way shorter). The toothpick uses a similar mechanism, accessed from the other end. Thanks for looking.

Ken
Attachments
IMG_20180418_1259479.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
BWT

Post by BWT »

G. Farmer Sheffield, 4 1/4 inche whittler. Looks like horn handles,looks to have been repinned,still has good snap though. Couldn’t find any information on it? Thanks for any information or comments ::handshake::
Attachments
E4C9A362-4949-4D42-8F98-23E616060720.jpeg
AC9010FB-CBD3-4B7D-B814-87E858EC6B0D.jpeg
2BE21107-9D83-4898-B0FC-BB0EC81CA16F.jpeg
834AF0A0-444C-407B-8F11-AB976D93B459.jpeg
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Ken - it is quite a knife with 10 blades, 5 springs and only 3" long ::tu:: ::tu:: ... The repair was done well...

Another interesting knife, quite unique to my eye and one large whittler at 4 1/2" Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: .. Interesting design - I'm guessing one would call it a congress whittler (though the bottom or spring side of a congress is not usually curved but straight at least to my knowledge ::hmm:: ::shrug:: ... What a shield - never seen one that large 8) ... and really cool bolsters too!!! ...

Post by BWT »

Thanks Lee for all the comments!
Bill
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an old well made 3 1/8" Coffin pen knife with file worked spring. The markings are the same on both blades and appears to be
"J Turrill/250/Regent St."
Likely British but i cannot find this name in Levine or Goins. Have you seen this name previously ?
I like it because snaps are just right and there is no blade play at all. Could be 150 years old or more so this smooth action is remarkable.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7745.JPG
IMGP7746.JPG
IMGP7744.JPG
IMGP7743.JPG
IMGP7747.JPG
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great old knives, Bill I love that whittler. Here’s a big 4 1/4” closed whittler marked Carlyle New York never heard of this company . Any help would be appreciated, Mike
Attachments
D4B3DF60-C5D5-4263-9B85-7DA03BBA2D70.jpeg
0D5F3493-6C04-459B-96E0-A6F36ED3B640.jpeg
BWT

Post by BWT »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 pm Here is an old well made 3 1/8" Coffin pen knife with file worked spring. The markings are the same on both blades and appears to be
Likely British but i cannot find this name in Levine or Goins. Have you seen this name previously ?
I like it because snaps are just right and there is no blade play at all. Could be 150 years old or more so this smooth action is remarkable.
kj
Beautiful knife Roland, I checked Goins and Tweesdale and found nothing listed in either book, really nice knife though!!
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

galvanic1882 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 pm Great old knives, Bill I love that whittler. Here’s a big 4 1/4” closed whittler marked Carlyle New York never heard of this company . Any help would be appreciated, Mike
Good looking ole knife Mike, my kinda knife, could find no information though!!
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 pm Here is an old well made 3 1/8" Coffin pen knife with file worked spring. The markings are the same on both blades and appears to be
kj

Sweet knife and cool design KJ ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I think J Turrill on 250 Regent St was perhaps a London retailer but I am not seeing the name in the London Knife Book which also lists London retailers - also not in Tweedale which is no surprise given Regent St - Regent St makes me think London and I frequented that area on a few trips over there - in fact 250 Regent St is in central London (close to Piccadilly Circus) and Regent St is a major thoroughfare - anyway that area suggests retailer - perhaps a maker ::hmm:: .. but I am guessing retailer given the location ::nod:: :lol: ...

galvanic1882 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 pm Great old knives, Bill I love that whittler. Here’s a big 4 1/4” closed whittler marked Carlyle New York never heard of this company . Any help would be appreciated, Mike

Very cool whittler Mike ::tu:: ::tu:: ... sorry as I am no help on maker background ...

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike the pattern of your whittler including blade profile does not look like any other whittler i have seen. Hence cannot say it looks American, or British or German. Wonder if it is a vintage custom knife ?
kj
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks Guys and sorry for the crappy pictures, did them quickly with my phone.

Roland the knife has age and I very much doubt it's a custom knife, even if an old one. Knife looks to be English to me but marked New York??
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

J. TURRIL

https://collections.britishart.yale.edu ... rd/3810321

You've got to get out of your knife books every once and a while. This was the first match on a Google search.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm J. TURRIL

https://collections.britishart.yale.edu ... rd/3810321

You've got to get out of your knife books every once and a while. This was the first match on a Google search.

Charlie
As I guessed above a retailer and like you Charlie saw it last night as the first hit on google for confirmation - but you beat me to the punch this morn as I was too lazy last night to post followup :D ...

Interestingly Jenner & Knewstub (a knife I posted here recently) was also a London retailer but also maker of cutlery etc that made dressing cases etc etc... guess a popular item in mid 1800s for many of the aristocracy ::tu:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I think this may qualify. I picked this up for $5 at the knife show Sunday. The tang stamp says Jackson, Fremont O.

From what I have had read, its from Jackson Knife & Shear in Fremont, OH, and is not common. The pile side is rougher, but $5 well spent IMO

ncca2019-24.jpg
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice find Mike for five dollars, definitely a rare tang stamp ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Belmont Cutlery
Attachments
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”