Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: Old Knives with Rare Tang Stamps

Post by LongBlade »

1fartsmella wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 am This jack knife 3 1/2" closed, is simply stamped PLYMOUTH KNIFE CO on both blades. Is this the forerunner of American Knife Plymouth ?
Barry - It's abit of a mystery as Plymouth Knife Co is not noted in any reference book (not Levines, Goins etc etc) though I have seen another Plymouth Knife Co knife that FRJ (Joe) has in his collection and also a boys knife... I always assumed it was the predecessor to American Knife Co Plymouth but asked the question at NCCA to a few and not anything is known - Art G did think it was a separate company. In New England Cutleries by P Pankiewicz he noted that American Knife Co Plymouth bought their site from a previous company in that building but that company made carriages and others items (not knives) for the southern market..

Post by thefarside »

Here is another G. Farmer Sheffield. It is not nearly as nice as the one Bill posted about a month ago, but unique. White bone whittler all blades marked, 3 1/8 inches closed. Appears to have never been carried or sharpened, but certainly spent some time in water.
Attachments
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
BWT

Post by BWT »

thefarside wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:01 pm Here is another G. Farmer Sheffield. It is not nearly as nice as the one Bill posted about a month ago, but unique. White bone whittler all blades marked, 3 1/8 inches closed. Appears to have never been carried or sharpened, but certainly spent some time in water.
Nice Farside, good find ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice Jim. Missed you at Lexington this year.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the "white bone" might be ivory. However ivory can be difficult to discern in pictures.
kj
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

This knife is stamped Beaver Brook Cutlery Co Beaver Brook Mass on both blades. The stamps are weak but legible.
Attachments
BBKC .jpg
BB STMP 2.jpg
Barry
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

I would like to post a rare knife
Stern & Schasseur Unique tang stamp

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64700
Attachments
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0633 (2).JPG
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice, good find, thanks for sharing ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Boys knife with smooth white bone handles,2 3/4" long.Tang stamped T. SMITH & Co Cast Steel, Goins dates it 1787-1800 , Thomas Smith located on Scotland St.Sheffield England.
Attachments
PC030898.JPG
PC030899.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

knifegnome wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:42 am Boys knife with smooth white bone handles,2 3/4" long.Tang stamped T. SMITH & Co Cast Steel, Goins dates it 1787-1800 , Thomas Smith located on Scotland St.Sheffield England.
Nice Scott ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Here's another T Smith & Co Cast Steel and yours is only the 2nd I have ever seen - Mine is another Boys Knife but with blunt safety blade ::nod:: ... IMO though Goins lists the date as 1787-1800 I personally think the dates are much later - Tweedale doesn't list T Smith & Co though there is a T Smith as a razor maker in mid 1800s but I do not think it is the same maker...
Blade Open DSCN0373.JPG

Post by BWT »

Very nice Scott and Lee. I’m with you Lee I feel like they are maybe mid 1800s. Here is mine,it’s a little feller at 21/4 inches, but has half stops and is still snappy.
Attachments
0557F868-2C67-4912-BCB5-F4F7476C0D5B.jpeg
ACC10071-6CA9-4626-B4AE-C345C212B7E1.jpeg
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Bill and sweet serpentine pen knife ::tu:: ::tu:: ... interesting that both your knife and knifegnome’s knife appear to have iron pivot pins which is somewhat unusual for Sheffield (a few examples exist) - unlike German made knives where many examples exist.... I think the T Smith knife styles suggest Sheffield but also interesting that there is not a Sheffield stamp suggesting a possible locale outside Sheffield.. there were a number of cutlers in the suburbs of Sheffield ::hmm:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Good stuff, guys. Enjoying the pictures and informative posts, thanks to all of you.
Ike

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”