Brookes & Crookes

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Mason

Brookes & Crookes

Post by Mason »

Sheffield certainly produced some fine knives in the 1800s and early 1900s. Enclosed is a nice example from Brookes & Crookes which existed from 1858 to 1957. While they were relatively small in size, they were large in quality and would rival the top competition such as Rodgers and Wostenholm. Brookes & Crookes won awards at several world exhibitions in the late 1800s. This shown five blade pearl handled model is 3-1/4 inches closed and has some beautiful file work as well as gold wash on the back springs.
Attachments
Brookes and Crookes pearl 2 (2500x1372).jpg
Brookes and Crookes top (2500x787).jpg
Brookes and Crookes back (2336x860).jpg
knife7knut

Re: Brookes & Crookes

Post by knife7knut »

Beautiful little knife Mason! Magnificent file work. I have a couple of Brookes & Crookes;one of which is an ivory handled smoker's knife.The blade is long and very thin and features a cigar piercer and a tobacco tamping device that stores on the side of one scale and when needed slides back and pivots 90 degrees.Has the name of (possibly)a tobacconist in Halifax etched on the blade.
Attachments
Brookes&CrookesSmokersKnife1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
wlf

Post by wlf »

The Brits were proper,some more than others.Thanks for the knife and the information Mason.What a wondrous collection you have.

Always a treat to have an ivory knife Ray,I'd like to see your collection in all it magnitude.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Post by 0078 »

Some beatiful knives you fellas have here. I wonder how the file work was done back then? Machine or hand?
Where you plant your needs is where your garden grows.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Beautiful old Sheffields ::tu:: ... Awesome file work on that one Mason!! If that was hand file work no doubt the craftsman at Brookes & Crookes must have been quite proud of that end result... Wonder how many they made like that one as well and whether it was common file work on a certain line of their knives or just on a special few...

Post by knife7knut »

File work was quite common on multiblades of that era. Here's a few that I have.
Attachments
Multiblades1 003.jpg
Multiblades1 007.jpg
Multiblades1 008.jpg
Multiblades1 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Awesome little knife Mason! File work, gold wash and all.

K7K that smoker's knife is a gem!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mason

Post by Mason »

Thanks all and very nice examples K7K.
Enclosed is an auction catalog shot of a Brookes & Crookes "Stanley Knife". This sportsman's model was introduced by B&C in 1878 in honor of the famous Welch explorer, Sir Henry Morton Stanley. Stanley is credited with the notable quote, "Doctor Livingston, I presume?"
Attachments
Brookes & Crookes Stanley (1327x2000).jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Looks like that beaute has a raised(I forget what that pivot pin is called) pivot pin "Mason". I think there is a term for it.??

Wouldn't mind owning that one. :)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thought I would dredge up this old thread. I picked this up at a show recently. Really interesting piece (to me anyways)...brass bolsters, Lambsfoot blade, jigged bone, rough steel pins.
b&c2.jpg
b&c1.jpg
b&c3.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That’s a stunner Glen ::tu:: ::tu:: ... great old pattern with nice bone and a double blade version as well - superb!!

Post by wlf »

Glen, are you sure they are brass. The Brits nickel silver seems to have much more copper in it than is typical in many later knives for sure,but you probably already know this.

Cool knife Glen.

Lyle

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”