Old Stockman Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Kevin11b

Re: Old Stockman Knives

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks that was nice of you seems like a lot of nice folks on here.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Kevin11b wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am Wow Cody nice set got me wanting a western ! Well I lied forgot about this guy cause its too nice too carry a little different with the muskrat style. I love Robeson’s

That is a very unusual blade. A couple of mine do have what's called a "California" clip, but not the semi-skinner type blade.

That red bone is gorgeous! I recently dropped a 1930s era Utility Jack (basically, a Jack a little smaller than an electrician's knife that has a spear, screwdriver/scraper, and punch blade on board), and a chunk fell out of the ivory celluloid handle (which it had, as it was considered an inexpensive giveaway knife back then, and was almost always found with advertising). I've decided that it will be rehandled in bone, and will likely go with red instead of the brown that was more common on Jacks of that size in that era.I bought it for my collection, but it's a really pocket-friendly little knife.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Way beyond my skill level please post it when you get it done. Really would love to see it. Don’t know all the blade types but I called it a muskrat bc that’s what they labeled it at the knife store.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Schrade waldens.

0FEB48E4-5FA2-49EF-AA0D-051CE915A862.jpeg
0E06E15B-BF5B-45D7-93CC-DD3B9E3B4DE2.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

MAN ::woot:: Slinger those are nice ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doubly knice Paul. ::nod:: ::nod::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:52 pm Schrade waldens.

0FEB48E4-5FA2-49EF-AA0D-051CE915A862.jpeg
0E06E15B-BF5B-45D7-93CC-DD3B9E3B4DE2.jpeg

Beautiful bone on the top one, and the yellow just glows. What is the yellow? It looks way better than most man made composition stuff I'm used to seeing. Great seeing stuff like those.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

Very classy looking knives Paul! ::tu:: I love the jigging on that bone! Those Schrades with jigging like that always blow me away with their beauty! :shock: My pocket knife collection will not be complete untill I have at least one of them for my showcase & another one for my pocket. ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I blame Tom for me wanting one of these..

I recently got a Kutmaster Purina knife. Had to buy an entire lot of TSA knives to get it (less than $20, so no biggie--and I got two other good users in addition to POS Exchange fodder)I
KIMG1564.JPG

This is what peeves me off. Some older gentleman had to have been given this knife by the Purina feed store/rep he did business with when he was roughly my age, given these were made in the '50s and '60s and it was his go-to knife for all that time. Then, here recently, the TSA outright STEALS the knife from him in the name of "security" and probably cussed what was likely a 70 to 80-year-old man out over it. Basically, it's all they seem to know how to do. They really can't do what they were created to do, and have been known to perform poorly in surprise tests. Enough with politics... So off of that rant.

I can tell this knife was cared for. The main blade has some wobble (which happens with age--all my old Stockmen with signs of regular carry and use have wobble on at least the main blade), the spey blade is a tiny bit weak. There is no damage to the blades other than sharpening wear. But, all blades snap as they should, all but the pen blade (which I presume served as the "beater" has blade) was crazy sharp--I mean, I don't think I've ever had a factory knife this sharp, even Victorinox or Spyderco. Aside from slight spots of rust and grit (probably from sitting in a big bin for several months), I didn't need to heavily clean it. It wasn't full of crud. It has what's expected for oh, 60-70 years of regular carry and use with proper maintenance.

I would really love to return this knife to its rightful owner, but with no markings, it's impossible. If you've recently had a Purina knife taken from you by the TSA or know someone that did. PLEASE let me know.
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:46 pm I blame Tom for me wanting one of these..

I recently got a Kutmaster Purina knife. Had to buy an entire lot of TSA knives to get it (less than $20, so no biggie--and I got two other good users in addition to POS Exchange fodder)I

KIMG1564.JPG

This is what peeves me off. Some older gentleman had to have been given this knife by the Purina feed store/rep he did business with when he was roughly my age, given these were made in the '50s and '60s and it was his go-to knife for all that time. Then, here recently, the TSA outright STEALS the knife from him in the name of "security" and probably cussed what was likely a 70 to 80-year-old man out over it. Basically, it's all they seem to know how to do. They really can't do what they were created to do, and have been known to perform poorly in surprise tests. Enough with politics... So off of that rant.

I can tell this knife was cared for. The main blade has some wobble (which happens with age--all my old Stockmen with signs of regular carry and use have wobble on at least the main blade), the spey blade is a tiny bit weak. There is no damage to the blades other than sharpening wear. But, all blades snap as they should, all but the pen blade (which I presume served as the "beater" has blade) was crazy sharp--I mean, I don't think I've ever had a factory knife this sharp, even Victorinox or Spyderco. Aside from slight spots of rust and grit (probably from sitting in a big bin for several months), I didn't need to heavily clean it. It wasn't full of crud. It has what's expected for oh, 60-70 years of regular carry and use with proper maintenance.

I would really love to return this knife to its rightful owner, but with no markings, it's impossible. If you've recently had a Purina knife taken from you by the TSA or know someone that did. PLEASE let me know.
Man, that Purina is nice. I have a few Uticas. Always wanted one of their advertising stockmans, just never picked one up. You’re right about TSA. I put my pocket knife in checked baggage when I flew for my work years ago. They’re not the most friendly of people to deal with.
Phil
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here are three stockman folders all Schrade made. Two square ends and
one round end. Not high condition knives but I am pleased to have them ::nod:: !
Attachments
2F829CDF-48A7-4A98-ADFA-90FD883E3770.jpeg
0F93F616-0507-47A4-9321-72BC9BCB1779.jpeg
03AA96A7-198A-4C2B-8A8C-8B7C66009655.jpeg
43860A12-95C0-44D2-B30D-142FBFFAA255.jpeg
Lloyd
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice Lloyd! Yours are in good condition compared to some of mine :roll:
Bill
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Duffer wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 pm Here are three stockman folders all Schrade made. Two square ends and
one round end. Not high condition knives but I am pleased to have them ::nod:: !
Gorgeous group Duffer, those bones are the kind. Mmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Duffer wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 pm Here are three stockman folders all Schrade made. Two square ends and
And you have every right to be pleased!
Those are some fine looking knives!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Duffer, those knives are beautiful!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice pair of Schrade Waldens, Paul. ::tu:: Lovely example of peach seed bone. I really like the Schrade yellow celluloid.
Glad you found a Kutmaster Purina, Cody. ::tu::
Three beautiful old knives, Lloyd. ::tu:: I especially like the one with the slanted, ringed bolsters.
Dan
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Verah nice! ::tu::
David
KnifeSlinger#81

Schrade walden 861’s, all but one are unused with factory edges.The 861Y is much less common than the regular bone ones.

8B480A47-513A-48F0-ADE0-AE1FE81B3E8A.jpeg
E4D8E29C-79A6-4D52-90F5-DE8382845910.jpeg

And it’s good to have one to use that’s not too nice as well. I just got this one.

C86AA72D-EA18-4344-9501-15F34876E0AE.jpeg
B9C76C2D-806E-41CA-8A1D-E66468E55D0A.jpeg
-Paul T.

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beauuuuuuutifuuuuuul.
TPK

Post by TPK »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:30 pm Schrade walden 861’s, all but one are unused with factory edges.The 861Y is much less common than the regular bone ones.

And it’s good to have one to use that’s not too nice as well. I just got this one.
I Love the looks of these knives Paul! Really beautiful knives! ::nod:: ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Nice ones! ::tu::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Paul ::tu::
Roger
KnifeSlinger#81

Thanks guys. ::tu::
-Paul T.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

Good looking lineup Paul ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Paul, very nice group of 861's, not that easy to find in good condition.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”