Old Stockman Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Stockman Knives

Post by phil0175 »

Kevin11b wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:56 am Wow you folks have some beautiful knives. And lots of them ! Guess I better get going. Only have one but it’s been with me a long time. Bought it when I was in high school about 1971 or 72
That’s a good one! That’s like what my grandpa carried.
::tu:: ::handshake::
Phil
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

My grandad did too!! And only a stockman or trapper said other types weren’t worth a count don’t really know what he meant but I do like them too ! I think old timers were popular because they were good quality and inexpensive and grandpa types were practical and the older folks were familiar with them ( at least where I lived) cause they were made not far from me in Middletown n.y. Way before my time but the grandads remembered!
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

The 8ot from Dale ::tu:: love this knife .
IMG_20210302_152449_831.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

A 34OT and an 34OTY....

34 OT Schrade Walden Middleman.jpg
Sorry .... the 34OTY is cleaner than that now... I need a new pic.
34OTY Yellow Middleman.jpg

Then, step up in size a bit....
An 8OT and an 8OTY.......

8 OT Schrade NY USA Frontiersman.JPG
8 OTY Frontiersman.JPG
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

Kevin11b wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:58 pm My grandad did too!! And only a stockman or trapper said other types weren’t worth a count don’t really know what he meant but I do like them too ! I think old timers were popular because they were good quality and inexpensive and grandpa types were practical and the older folks were familiar with them ( at least where I lived) cause they were made not far from me in Middletown n.y. Way before my time but the grandads remembered!
Agreed!!!!! ::tu::
Phil
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

zed6309 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:21 pm The 8ot from Dale ::tu:: love this knife .
That 8OT is out of sight!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :D
Phil
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:26 pm A 34OT and an 34OTY....

34 OT Schrade Walden Middleman.jpg
Sorry .... the 34OTY is cleaner than that now... I need a new pic.
34OTY Yellow Middleman.jpg

Then, step up in size a bit....
An 8OT and an 8OTY.......

8 OT Schrade NY USA Frontiersman.JPG
8 OTY Frontiersman.JPG
Just outstanding!!! Outstanding!!!!! The 80TY is especially nice!!!!!! :D ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Phil
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Old, to me, is pre-1970. And, being as old, bone-handle knives are getting a lot of my knife money this year, I'm getting more of those. But, I'll show a few that probably date to as late as the 1990s. They're mostly all USA-made--actually, all are. These are just a few to start. My Granddad, the summer after I turned 10, gave me three knives--a Colonial SAK clone, a Schrade USA 34OT, and a Colonial electrician's knife. These days, SAKs, TL-29s, and Stockmen dominate the counts of knives in my collection. I did a quick count as I took photos while doing maintenance and (let's just see if any of the "I'm sure it's stable" cell knives imploded), and I had about a dozen TL-29s, not counting the 2-3 that are between my toolbox and my truck and a little over a two dozen Stockmen. And about three or four dozen SAKs, not including all the 58mms I own. I have Classic SDs stuck everywhere throughout the house.

This one is the worst, but a functional knife. I need to try to Acra-Glas the pile side bone handle, and it will be an EDC once I get the work on it done. It's an old knife that is still usable, but not a big loss if something happens to it beyond my control.

HIGH CARBON STEEL USA (Camillus for Sears and Roebuck). Definitely whoever had this knife got their money's worth.
KIMG3710.JPG
KIMG3711.JPG
Pal Blade Co. '40s? This was my preferred EDC Stockman off and on for about four years until I retired it. While it isn't as pretty as the bone examples, it is still pretty well built. The shield is pinned on. Steel liners and bolsters, I believe.

KIMG3712.JPG
KIMG3714.JPG

CASE XX ('40-64) 6347HP. The bone is what is called green bone, correct? This belonged to my grandmother's father's best friend, who was a grain mill owner. He carried it pretty much his whole life, and used it daily working at the mill, often using it to open sacks. The blades are sharpened down a whole lot, but can still shave. It will cut you, bad if you're not careful. When he passed away, my Granddad purchased the entire collection from his widow, mostly to keep them in the family. About 15 years ago, when I started carrying knives, I got many of the worse, low-value knives from the collection (as Granddad said--I ended up buying so many busted knives, I think I got took), but I got this one later when I cleaned up an incident relating to a celluloid Boker. Nickel silver bolsters and liners.
KIMG3715.JPG

Western USA (1950s) with punch blade. It is a really high quality knife. Everything I've been told Westerns are, and then some. One of my best knives, quality-wise. I wanted a fixed blade first, but this one was only $20, so I couldn't say no. Nickel silver bolsters, brass liners. NOTE: I believe someone before me buffed this knife somewhat heavily.
KIMG3718.JPG

And this is what I carry these days. I retired most of the old-school Stockmans I had.

A workhorse Case 3318 Stockman Treefarmer gifted me, and a 1980s Kabar 1081 (probably actually made by Camillus). A friend of mine bragged about how his Trapper had held up after over 40 years, and I got one in a lot but the main was weak (it soon found a new home during the POS exchange last year). I bought a second, and someone seems to have modified it for whittling, as the spey was reprofiled to a pen blade.

KIMG3779.JPG
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 am Old, to me, is pre-1970. And, being as old, bone-handle knives are getting a lot of my knife money this year, I'm getting more of those. But, I'll show a few that probably date to as late as the 1990s. They're mostly all USA-made--actually, all are. These are just a few to start. My Granddad, the summer after I turned 10, gave me three knives--a Colonial SAK clone, a Schrade USA 34OT, and a Colonial electrician's knife. These days, SAKs, TL-29s, and Stockmen dominate the counts of knives in my collection. I did a quick count as I took photos while doing maintenance and (let's just see if any of the "I'm sure it's stable" cell knives imploded), and I had about a dozen TL-29s, not counting the 2-3 that are between my toolbox and my truck and a little over a two dozen Stockmen. And about three or four dozen SAKs, not including all the 58mms I own. I have Classic SDs stuck everywhere throughout the house.

This one is the worst, but a functional knife. I need to try to Acra-Glas the pile side bone handle, and it will be an EDC once I get the work on it done. It's an old knife that is still usable, but not a big loss if something happens to it beyond my control.

HIGH CARBON STEEL USA (Camillus for Sears and Roebuck). Definitely whoever had this knife got their money's worth.

KIMG3710.JPG

KIMG3711.JPG

Pal Blade Co. '40s? This was my preferred EDC Stockman off and on for about four years until I retired it. While it isn't as pretty as the bone examples, it is still pretty well built. The shield is pinned on. Steel liners and bolsters, I believe.

KIMG3712.JPG

KIMG3714.JPG

CASE XX ('40-64) 6347HP. The bone is what is called green bone, correct? This belonged to my grandmother's father's best friend, who was a grain mill owner. He carried it pretty much his whole life, and used it daily working at the mill, often using it to open sacks. The blades are sharpened down a whole lot, but can still shave. It will cut you, bad if you're not careful. When he passed away, my Granddad purchased the entire collection from his widow, mostly to keep them in the family. About 15 years ago, when I started carrying knives, I got many of the worse, low-value knives from the collection (as Granddad said--I ended up buying so many busted knives, I think I got took), but I got this one later when I cleaned up an incident relating to a celluloid Boker. Nickel silver bolsters and liners.

KIMG3715.JPG

Western USA (1950s) with punch blade. It is a really high quality knife. Everything I've been told Westerns are, and then some. One of my best knives, quality-wise. I wanted a fixed blade first, but this one was only $20, so I couldn't say no. Nickel silver bolsters, brass liners. NOTE: I believe someone before me buffed this knife somewhat heavily.

KIMG3718.JPG

And this is what I carry these days. I retired most of the old-school Stockmans I had.

A workhorse Case 3318 Stockman Treefarmer gifted me, and a 1980s Kabar 1081 (probably actually made by Camillus). A friend of mine bragged about how his Trapper had held up after over 40 years, and I got one in a lot but the main was weak (it soon found a new home during the POS exchange last year). I bought a second, and someone seems to have modified it for whittling, as the spey was reprofiled to a pen blade.

KIMG3779.JPG
Absolutely outstanding!!!! Very nice! ::tu:: ::handshake::
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Wow Cody nice set got me wanting a western ! Well I lied forgot about this guy cause its too nice too carry a little different with the muskrat style. I love Robeson’s
Attachments
78C427CE-75CA-4559-A86C-FC57AAC4DBE2.jpeg
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

phil0175 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:15 pm
zed6309 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:21 pm The 8ot from Dale ::tu:: love this knife .
That 8OT is out of sight!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :D
Phil
Thanks Phil it's treasured ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

Kevin11b wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am Wow Cody nice set got me wanting a western ! Well I lied forgot about this guy cause its too nice too carry a little different with the muskrat style. I love Robeson’s
Outstanding Robeson! :D ::tu:: ::handshake::
Phil
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Kevin11b wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:45 am Wow Cody nice set got me wanting a western ! Well I lied forgot about this guy cause its too nice too carry a little different with the muskrat style. I love Robeson’s
Definitely a beautiful knife!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks crew. Can’t really take credit. That was another of Tom Kalcevic’s knives that I had the privilege of purchasing.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

That Robe is a beauty, wow, lots to like there. Keep on posting that kind and welcome to AAPK.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks that was nice of you seems like a lot of nice folks on here.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

That is a very unusual blade. A couple of mine do have what's called a "California" clip, but not the semi-skinner type blade.

That red bone is gorgeous! I recently dropped a 1930s era Utility Jack (basically, a Jack a little smaller than an electrician's knife that has a spear, screwdriver/scraper, and punch blade on board), and a chunk fell out of the ivory celluloid handle (which it had, as it was considered an inexpensive giveaway knife back then, and was almost always found with advertising). I've decided that it will be rehandled in bone, and will likely go with red instead of the brown that was more common on Jacks of that size in that era.I bought it for my collection, but it's a really pocket-friendly little knife.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Way beyond my skill level please post it when you get it done. Really would love to see it. Don’t know all the blade types but I called it a muskrat bc that’s what they labeled it at the knife store.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Schrade waldens.

0FEB48E4-5FA2-49EF-AA0D-051CE915A862.jpeg
0E06E15B-BF5B-45D7-93CC-DD3B9E3B4DE2.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

MAN ::woot:: Slinger those are nice ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doubly knice Paul. ::nod:: ::nod::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:52 pm Schrade waldens.

0FEB48E4-5FA2-49EF-AA0D-051CE915A862.jpeg
0E06E15B-BF5B-45D7-93CC-DD3B9E3B4DE2.jpeg

Beautiful bone on the top one, and the yellow just glows. What is the yellow? It looks way better than most man made composition stuff I'm used to seeing. Great seeing stuff like those.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

Very classy looking knives Paul! ::tu:: I love the jigging on that bone! Those Schrades with jigging like that always blow me away with their beauty! :shock: My pocket knife collection will not be complete untill I have at least one of them for my showcase & another one for my pocket. ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I blame Tom for me wanting one of these..

I recently got a Kutmaster Purina knife. Had to buy an entire lot of TSA knives to get it (less than $20, so no biggie--and I got two other good users in addition to POS Exchange fodder)I
KIMG1564.JPG

This is what peeves me off. Some older gentleman had to have been given this knife by the Purina feed store/rep he did business with when he was roughly my age, given these were made in the '50s and '60s and it was his go-to knife for all that time. Then, here recently, the TSA outright STEALS the knife from him in the name of "security" and probably cussed what was likely a 70 to 80-year-old man out over it. Basically, it's all they seem to know how to do. They really can't do what they were created to do, and have been known to perform poorly in surprise tests. Enough with politics... So off of that rant.

I can tell this knife was cared for. The main blade has some wobble (which happens with age--all my old Stockmen with signs of regular carry and use have wobble on at least the main blade), the spey blade is a tiny bit weak. There is no damage to the blades other than sharpening wear. But, all blades snap as they should, all but the pen blade (which I presume served as the "beater" has blade) was crazy sharp--I mean, I don't think I've ever had a factory knife this sharp, even Victorinox or Spyderco. Aside from slight spots of rust and grit (probably from sitting in a big bin for several months), I didn't need to heavily clean it. It wasn't full of crud. It has what's expected for oh, 60-70 years of regular carry and use with proper maintenance.

I would really love to return this knife to its rightful owner, but with no markings, it's impossible. If you've recently had a Purina knife taken from you by the TSA or know someone that did. PLEASE let me know.
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:46 pm I blame Tom for me wanting one of these..

I recently got a Kutmaster Purina knife. Had to buy an entire lot of TSA knives to get it (less than $20, so no biggie--and I got two other good users in addition to POS Exchange fodder)I

KIMG1564.JPG

This is what peeves me off. Some older gentleman had to have been given this knife by the Purina feed store/rep he did business with when he was roughly my age, given these were made in the '50s and '60s and it was his go-to knife for all that time. Then, here recently, the TSA outright STEALS the knife from him in the name of "security" and probably cussed what was likely a 70 to 80-year-old man out over it. Basically, it's all they seem to know how to do. They really can't do what they were created to do, and have been known to perform poorly in surprise tests. Enough with politics... So off of that rant.

I can tell this knife was cared for. The main blade has some wobble (which happens with age--all my old Stockmen with signs of regular carry and use have wobble on at least the main blade), the spey blade is a tiny bit weak. There is no damage to the blades other than sharpening wear. But, all blades snap as they should, all but the pen blade (which I presume served as the "beater" has blade) was crazy sharp--I mean, I don't think I've ever had a factory knife this sharp, even Victorinox or Spyderco. Aside from slight spots of rust and grit (probably from sitting in a big bin for several months), I didn't need to heavily clean it. It wasn't full of crud. It has what's expected for oh, 60-70 years of regular carry and use with proper maintenance.

I would really love to return this knife to its rightful owner, but with no markings, it's impossible. If you've recently had a Purina knife taken from you by the TSA or know someone that did. PLEASE let me know.
Man, that Purina is nice. I have a few Uticas. Always wanted one of their advertising stockmans, just never picked one up. You’re right about TSA. I put my pocket knife in checked baggage when I flew for my work years ago. They’re not the most friendly of people to deal with.
Phil

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”