American Knife Co. Thomaston

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
FRJ

American Knife Co. Thomaston

Post by FRJ »

So glad to bring this American Knife Co. Thomaston into the collection.
What a nice old knife. 1875 - 1895. Half stops on both blades. 3 5/8"
At least 121 years old.
Attachments
DSCN3535.JPG
DSCN3538.JPG
DSCN3543.JPG
DSCN3545.JPG
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: American Knife Co. Thomaston

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wow! That's a beauty Joe. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Greg. ::tu::
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Excellent example of a classic wood handle jack! ::tu::
Love that long pull and awesome swedge!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dale.
Nice to hear from you. ::tu::
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Excellent find, Joe! ::tu:: Lovely old knife.
Dan
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dan. ::tu::
Joe
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for taking the time to share that one Joe, that's an heirloom worth hanging on to, great pickup! Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

I just got this info from a friend that knows a collector that lives in Conn, cool reading.

I would like to share with you this true story.
This week I went to a local jewelry store and spoke to the 72 year old owner that lived in Winsted hid whole life.
He told me the following story. He lived one street over from Highland lake where the first EMPIRE knife company was located.
Empire first operated out of this building using the overflow of the water from the lake to get power to run the equipment to make the knives. In 1903 to 1906 Empire move to a new building built just for them and by a larger water stream to have adiquite power
to make the knives. The old building buy the lake was used for other businesses. In 1955 whenWinsted had the great flood
the American knife company was using this lake building and making knives. On the morning of the 1955 flood the jewelry store owner woke up to a loud bang and crash. The excess water flowing from the lake was undermining the foundation of the American knife company factory. The flood took the building and all the knives and washed them downstream. The jewelry store owner was
11 years old boy at this time. He told me he walked along the banks of the river and picked up knives by the 5 gallon pail.
he said he gave knives to all his friends and relatives. I never new that the American Knife company used the first Empire Knife Building. it was a very interesting story to me. I hope you enjoy it.
Tom"
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

That really is a gorgeous knife. Wow!! It just oozes HISTORY... ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Having grown-up in Connecticut I am very familiar with Highland Lake which began as an impoundment on the Mad River. In 1860, the town of Winchester constructed a dam across the river for flood control and later hydroelectric purposes. A unique feature of this dam is its spillway. During high water, the overflow from the lake washes over the top of the dam and across a major street. Traffic using the street must drive through the water. The construction of the dam raised the lake approximately 10 feet from its original height. Today the lake has a maximum depth of 63 feet and stretches for three miles when at full capacity. Fish in the lake include largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, yellow perch, Atlantic salmon, and kokanee trout and it is considered a blue ribbon fishery.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Joe just a fabulous antique Jack!! Love those beautiful wood handles ::tu:: What kind of wood is that? Ebony? Gorgeous figuring on the mark side! Anyway, congratulations on bringing that beauty into your collection. I know you must be extremely pleased because I know I would be ::nod:: Well done! Lloyd
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Mike, I'm glad you like it. ::tu::

Thank you, Lloyd.
I don't think the covers are Ebony. I really don't know what they are, but my guess would be Rosewood.
It is a fine old knife and so old. Thanks for the nice compliment. ::tu::
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Joe, thats a nice one, awful lot to like about that knife, congratulations.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, John. ::tu::
Joe
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Really Nice Knife.

Harold
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Harold.
I've got a neat old Southington Cut. Co. in Knife Lore too. And a Terrier as well.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

galvanic1882 wrote:I just got this info from a friend that knows a collector that lives in Conn, cool reading.

I would like to share with you this true story.
This week I went to a local jewelry store and spoke to the 72 year old owner that lived in Winsted hid whole life.
He told me the following story. He lived one street over from Highland lake where the first EMPIRE knife company was located.
Empire first operated out of this building using the overflow of the water from the lake to get power to run the equipment to make the knives. In 1903 to 1906 Empire move to a new building built just for them and by a larger water stream to have adiquite power
to make the knives. The old building buy the lake was used for other businesses. In 1955 whenWinsted had the great flood
the American knife company was using this lake building and making knives. On the morning of the 1955 flood the jewelry store owner woke up to a loud bang and crash. The excess water flowing from the lake was undermining the foundation of the American knife company factory. The flood took the building and all the knives and washed them downstream. The jewelry store owner was
11 years old boy at this time. He told me he walked along the banks of the river and picked up knives by the 5 gallon pail.
he said he gave knives to all his friends and relatives. I never new that the American Knife company used the first Empire Knife Building. it was a very interesting story to me. I hope you enjoy it.
Tom"
Mike, thanks for that story. I'm sorry it got ignored.
I wanted it to be seen and read again and I wanted to show off this old pruner in this thread.

Also, I want to show an "American Winsted" that Mike was referring to. American Knife Co., Winsted Ct.
Attachments
DSCN8873.JPG
DSCN8875.JPG
DSCN8880.JPG
DSCN8882.JPG
DSCN9810.JPG
DSCN9815.JPG
DSCN9821.JPG
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”