American Shear & Knife Co.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: American Shear & Knife Co.

Post by LongBlade »

Old Folder wrote:I love the history and craftsmanship of 19th Century American Pocketknife Firms. Many of the members here in AAPK feel the same way, I enjoy viewing your pictures and fascinating history and stories that accompany them.
My below American Shear & Knife Co. folder is a 3-1/2" Ebony Jack. Both blades have half stops. Match striker on master blade is cut in very tiny increments. Knife still has plenty of snap.
Ebony is a "Hard Wood" and many color variations exist, such as the two tone ebony handle on this knife.
I think it adds a little character in appearance.
American Shear & Knife Co. was in production from 1853-1914. However, they did not start producing pocketknives until 1870.
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
Dan - Cool American Shear Coke-bottle Jack ::tu:: ::tu:: .. somehow I missed this when you first posted it probably because my life got somewhat interesting in not such a good way around that time ::tired:: ).... anyway it looks like the knife was possibly repinned to me but you know better with knife in hand... but even given that Coke-bottle jacks are not easy finds...

I also had read that their pocket knives started in 1870 - that actually coincided with Am Shear buying Hotchkissville Cutlery (H’Ville) ::nod:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

BWT wrote:
Old Folder wrote:I love the history and craftsmanship of 19th Century American Pocketknife Firms. Many of the members here in AAPK feel the same way, I enjoy viewing your pictures and fascinating history and stories that accompany them.
My below American Shear & Knife Co. folder is a 3-1/2" Ebony Jack. Both blades have half stops. Match striker on master blade is cut in very tiny increments. Knife still has plenty of snap.
Ebony is a "Hard Wood" and many color variations exist, such as the two tone ebony handle on this knife.
American Shear & Knife Co. was in production from 1853-1914. However, they did not start producing pocketknives until 1870.

IMG_0007.JPGIMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0004.JPG
Dan that is a nice knife. I just noticed it today. I have the brother to it, except someone cleaned mine up somewhat. I only have the one but it is a really well made knife.
Thank you Bill.
Show a picture of your American Shear when you have time.
Always looking for pics of knife relatives.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

LongBlade wrote:

IMG_0007.JPGIMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0004.JPG
Dan - Cool American Shear Coke-bottle Jack ::tu:: ::tu:: .. somehow I missed this when you first posted it probably because my life got somewhat interesting in not such a good way around that time ::tired:: ).... anyway it looks like the knife was possibly repinned to me but you know better with knife in hand... but even given that Coke-bottle jacks are not easy finds...

I also had read to me that pocket knives started in 1870 - that actually coincided with Am Shear buying Hotchkissville Cutlery (H’Ville) ::nod:: ...
Good eye Lee. ::nod::
I suppose the End rivet/pin has been Hand Hammered on the head bolster. Not uncommon for the year of manufacturer.
Perhaps the blades loosened up over the years? All other pins seem to be untampered with.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Don't get me wrong Dan - It still is a beauty ::tu:: ::tu:: and in the old days when the pivot pin got loose one would fix it anyway that they were able ::nod:: ... Knife mechanics were few and far between nor could many afford to have their knife fixed :) ... It has character in my book and a story!!!

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Went through this thread while I was waiting on this 3 1/2 serpentine jack to arrive from Roger. Lots of great knives and info here.
Attachments
am etc.jpg
am open.jpg
am stamp.jpg
back open.jpg
closes.jpg
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Beautiful knife, Mike! ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

American Shear & Knife Co.
OUR BEST
Hotchkissville Conn.

Oh man, what a beauty, Mike.
1853 - 1914

Such beautiful condition and it's getin' old. ::woot::
Joe
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

ObsidianEdge wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:29 am Went through this thread while I was waiting on this 3 1/2 serpentine jack to arrive from Roger. Lots of great knives and info here.
That’s a great knife you received there Mike ::tu:: ::tu:: . Just beautiful piece,Wow.
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wonderful knife ObsidianEdge!!! ::nod::
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Mike, nice one has it all ::tu::
Lloyd
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

I appreciate all of the great comments. Roger sure knows how to find them. My loosely defined knife collecting strategy is around turn of the century companies so I was happy to get this one.
Mike Robuck

Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

ObsidianEdge wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:53 pm My loosely defined knife collecting strategy
I like that, Mike, you just made me feel a little better about my addiction. I have felt guilty at times over my undisciplined knife buying, now, I realize I merely have a "loosely defined" strategy. :lol: ::handshake::
Ike
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Ike, I would say it's working out pretty well for you! I admire people who collect certain companies or patterns, but having a broader view means we can buy pretty much anything. Yes, all over the knife collecting roadmap!
Mike Robuck

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I only have 2 American Shear knives. This barehead ebony jack and a hawkbill that I can't find right now. I understand they were gone by 1914. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3476.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My one and only American Shear is this 4 1/4" whittler. Thanks for reminding me, I have not carried this one in awhile.
IMG_4406.JPG
IMG_4407.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

That's a very cool whittler! ::tu::
Mike Robuck

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:18 pm I understand they were gone by 1914. J.O'.
Correct - ::nod::
That's a nice looking jack, J.O., thanks for posting it. ::tu::

OLDE CUTLER, that is pretty substantial whittler you have there. Beautiful spear!
Thank you for posting it here. ::tu::
Joe
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

FRJ wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:52 pm
Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:18 pm I understand they were gone by 1914. J.O'.
Correct - ::nod::
That's a nice looking jack, J.O., thanks for posting it. ::tu::

OLDE CUTLER, that is pretty substantial whittler you have there. Beautiful spear!
Thank you for posting it here. ::tu::
Thanks, it couldn't have been used or sharpened much as the master blade is still full. It did have a lot of rust on it and also pitting, but as you say it is substantial. The master blade is 3/16" thick.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Nice knives J.O. and OC!
Ike

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”