Pocket Wear & Patinas

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
bighomer

Re: Pocket Wear & Patinas

Post by bighomer »

I got a lot knives that fit here but here's 4 of my favorites. The Case's wear and tear is my fault the Crown, Queen city, and Lenox were loved by someone else before me.
Attachments
20170818_082638.jpg
KAW

Post by KAW »

There's been a few great "oldies, but goodies" since I visited last.... cool stuff 8) ::tu::

Thanks Ken... (How about that another Ken) Like I said most of my other knives wouldn't really qualify for this thread.... I started a thread called Schrade Evolution under:

Knife Forum > Brand Specific Knife Forums > Canal Street Cutlery Collector's Forum

that showcases an 80+ year old Schrade next to a 2013 Canal Street Cutlery descendant. Maybe I need to come up with thread topic like.... oh, I don't know.... "Oldies, but still got some shine".... I do have a few that would fit into that category.

Anyway, here's another oddball that definitely belongs here and would like to find out more about it.... This EO Jack is ID'd with a tang stamp F. Westpfal / Walden who had a NYCity business address. Maybe a retailer?.... all I know about him is he filed bankruptcy in May, 1917.... so I guess that makes this knife at least 100 years old.... & it looks it!! ::woot::

10103 10104
10101 10102
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
KAW

Post by KAW »

YIKES!!!.... I know this is one ugly lookin' knife.... but it was not my intent to scare everyone away!.... ::mdm:: ::teary_eyes:: ::doh:: :roll:

I do hope someone can tell me who made this knife for Westpfal....
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Goins lists "F.WESTPFAL, WALDEN N.Y." circa 1874 to 1928, with no other information given. He also lists a "F.WESTPFAL, NEW YORK" stamp as being 1874 to 1928. I believe it is likely that these are two stamps used by the same company. Perhaps the company was located in New York and some of their knives were manufactured in Walden? Company founded by Frederick Westpfal, who died in 1900. The business was continued by his four sons. No mention of who might have made knives for them.
Levine lists a "Westpfal, Frederick (&Bro.) in New York, NY as a wholesale/retail business. Knives made in US and Germany. circa 1884 to 1940.
Dan
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Very interesting, Dan. ::hmm::
So, I guess they recovered from the May 29th, 1917 bankruptcy announced in the American Cutlery issue printed in Sept. of that year. Never found a follow up mention in the later issues. Kind of a bummer.... for that means the knife may now be less than a hundred years old.... ::doh::
I've been hoping I can get a knife that breaks the threshold into the 19th century... but like with this one, there's no telling if it is or isn't? ::shrug::
Thanks for the info.... that's what I find so great about this board! ::groove::
'til later....
Ken

colin.p

Post by colin.p »

TheMadHungarian wrote:
All the hardware fittings are German Silver including the earpick used to scoop out earwax long before the invention of the Q Tip :shock:
Sheesh. We're told not to clean the ear canal with a Q Tip (apparently it can kill you?). I can only imagine the fit they would have seeing someone using that.
sextonknifeworks

Post by sextonknifeworks »

Here are some of my EDC's
Attachments
2017-08-23 23_08_20-IMG_0234 - Windows Photo Viewer.png
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Honoring Jerryd's suggestion that I put this knife in this thread.
He says this white Delrin doesn't hold up well. I didn't know that. Looks like I got a goodn'.
Nice enough knife. No pin covers with kind of a soft close on the main blade.

EDIT: Jerry tells me the Delrin is fine. It just tends to crack at the shield.
Attachments
DSCN8917.JPG
DSCN8919.JPG
DSCN8923.JPG
DSCN8932.JPG
Joe
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Here is a Keeneredge Barlow made for C.M. McClung Hardware in Knoxville TN. The logo on one of the bolsters is nearly worn away.
Attachments
IMG_5525.JPG
IMG_5529.JPG
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

313 Mike wrote:Case XX era, rough black 31 jack....atop an old Nash with a fine patina of its own.
Mike.. That is a AWESOME pic!!! ::ds:: Really KOOL!!! ::ds:: ::tu:: ::ds:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
KAW

Post by KAW »

KAW wrote:....here's another oddball that definitely belongs here and would like to find out more about it.... This EO Jack is ID'd with a tang stamp F. Westpfal / Walden who had a NYCity business address. Maybe a retailer?.... all I know about him is he filed bankruptcy in May, 1917.... so I guess that makes this knife at least 100 years old.... & it looks it!! ::woot::

10103 10104
10101 10102
Just a quick note that I did get to the Wawarsing Knife Museum over the holiday weekend, which happened to be the last weekend they were open for the 2017 season. Of course I ogled over their collection and they were kind enough to look at a few samples of mine I brought along.... this one was among them & one gent in particular was quite familiar with Westpfal who told me with confidence that these knives were made by NY Knife Co. Very nice folks there. Too bad I have to wait to next summer to visit them again.
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I carried this LFC jack for a few years until I picked up the Robeson jack for $15 at a flea market. I carried the Robeson for 8 or 9 years after that. I must say, I look back on the LFC and kind of laugh. It's a rough knife but it's what I had to carry as a carpenter and it served me well. I carry the Robeson from time to time just to have it with me.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN9283.JPG
DSCN9286.JPG
DSCN9288.JPG
DSCN9291.JPG
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Joe.... I can ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: over the handle of that LFC jack all day! :mrgreen: ::tu::
Let me see if I can guess what you used that second blade for ::hmm:: .... as a carpenter, it must have come in handy to make divots to mark where you need to drill a hole.... no worries about the drillbit walking on ya then.... and you don't hafta worry about wearing out the tip of the main blade either.... :D
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old knife some of you may have seen on e-Bay.
Someone put there own blades in this frame a long time ago. They did a god job. No wobble on these blades.
For some reason I think of Waterville or Empire when I see this frame and shield. Any thoughts on that?
The knife is 3 3/4" closed. Dull as a butter knife. I like this kind of stuff when it's well done.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN9637.JPG
DSCN9639.JPG
DSCN9642.JPG
DSCN9648.JPG
DSCN9650.JPG
DSCN9652.JPG
DSCN9656.JPG
DSCN9657.JPG
DSCN9664.JPG
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Very interesting Joe.... ::hmm:: Those are some nail nooks.... just too big to be niks. :lol:
I really like the serpentine shield.... perhaps you should consider posting this knife on the GOT SHIELDS thread too.
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Well since it looks like I 'killed' this thread over a year ago... perhaps I should attempt to revive it...
with this Wardlow Cutlery Co. / Walden NY jack. Don't know much about this one... altho I have read on this board that they were etched with "Chip Away" on their blades which was a trademark used by E.C.Simmons.

Definitely this one has seen some hard use and I usually stay away from such worn out knives but a mysterious brand coming out of Walden, NY as well as fact that someone bothered to sharpen the secondary blade right down to the nail nick really intrigued me.
10907 10906 10908
'til later....
Ken

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I don’t blame you Ken! I too don’t usually buy knives that are that worn out blade wise but it is intriguing and a scarce model. It reminds me of this depression era saying “Use it Up, Wear It Out, Make it Do or Do Without!” This one was kept in use and use and use! What history it exudes ::tu::
Lloyd
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

I love the old Schrade Walden 233 Jack Knife that I found in a washing machine (laundromat) about 35 years ago. It has travelled a lot with me, and whittled a lot of wood.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

This ulster knife co has been around the block. I got it today and just sharpened it up so I can put some miles of my own on it. It's still all solid, tight and snappy. It's also a slim old jr cattle packing a lot of blades for its size, just about my favorite kind of knife.
IMG_3735.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Got yourself a real beauty there, Paul. ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Just ran across this thread, last evening. Here are a couple of nominations, both have been in 'n out of the pocket many times.....an old H.H.H. tool knife and a Peanut from the Tested era.
Attachments
20191212_162259.jpg
20191212_162124.jpg
20191212_162106.jpg
Ike
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Those are some good ones Ike.

Here's an honest one. That dark red bone looks really good with a dark patina.

IMG_0382_Original.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”