America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by LongBlade »

Sweet knife Roger ::tu:: ::tu:: !!!!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Lee.
Roger
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

I agree with Lee but I’m giving it three ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Mike. ::handshake::
Roger
KAW

Post by KAW »

Shameless bumping back to the first page...
Here's a couple of Ulsters that are suppose to be the same knife... Despite both knives being stamped "1010" on the pile side, they are obviously not the same knife. The more recent acquisition is larger with the blade sitting much prouder. The pins & their arrangement is different. Even the shape of the handles are different. There is so much of a difference between the two that now I'm wondering how could they both be identified an the 1010 pattern? ::shrug::
11961 11962

11959 11960
P.S. My apologies for the blurriness of the last image

Also picked up this nice little gentleman's pen... also an Ulster Knife Co.
11965 11964 11963
Sorry for the flash photography, but the lighting was really poor & I wanted to capture the details of the bone handles.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

gsmith7158 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:30 pm Here are some that I think will fit into the history of this thread. First is a NYKC Tree scribe. Second is an Electric Cut Co with the Walden stamp. Third is a US made knife contracted for Wester Bros.New York that I feel certain was made by NYKC. And finally a whittler that I believe was made in Germany for Friedman and Lauterjung who were the originators of the Electric brand which later became Electric Cut Co. Newark, NJ. in1890 and and later bought NYKC.
Ha ha, surfing through ancient posts and saw yours on page 3 of this thread. Still have the third one down? Incredible bone and condition on the Wester Bros. What would that age be? Fabulous whatever it is, pics a little blurry on my end. Thanks and if you ever want to dump that one let me know. Wow.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
KAW

Post by KAW »

Came across this 1950's equal end jack with a Kingston tang stamp in an antique shop while on vacation in Virginia last week.
Was only a $12 price tag on it before the dealer told me there was a the 50% discount on it!!! ::groove::
12022 12021
'til later....
Ken

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats KAW, that is a wonderful pick up. ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice find for a nice price, Ken! ::tu::
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here are a couple from "Little Sheffield". Love this thread.

A Waldon Knife Co. lobster. 2 3/4"
A New York Knife Co., Walden. 3 3/8"
Attachments
DSCN8157.JPG
DSCN8164.JPG
DSCN8168.JPG
DSCN8170.JPG
DSCN8172.JPG
DSCN8185.JPG
DSCN8198.JPG
DSCN8201.JPG
DSCN8210.JPG
Joe
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very nice Joe! I especially like the Walden
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice finds, Joe! ::tu:: ::tu:: I also really like the Walden.
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you very much, James and Dan.

The little Waldon is so well made. It is a pleasure to open and close and just to hold. A real beauty.

Some one liked the pen blade on that Hammer. It is a solid knife and I have been packing it for a few days.
With that large spear it is a decent light duty knife which is all I need any more it seems. I'm OK with that.
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

FRJ wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 am
The little Waldon is so well made. It is a pleasure to open and close and just to hold. A real beauty.
I have this almost identical lobster, stamped EC Simmons St Louis with a Keen Kutter blade etch. I believe it was made by Walden.
Attachments
RIMG1174.JPG
RIMG1175.JPG
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a great little knife, Dan.
In better condition than mine. Mine has the "spidies".

When you get in to these lobsters and other small "dress knives", if I can use that term, you really come across
attention to detail and refined craftsmanship that cutlers loved to produce for their brand. In my opinion.
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Hey Joe... Those are certainly worth digging this thread out from the cobwebs... ::tu:: 8) :lol:
I was also about to say that the Walden seems a bit unusual of a pattern with those scissors... but then Dan brings another to show & tell... if it was made before 1921... then it was definitely made by Walden... You guys are making me ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: & :mrgreen: with envy!
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks Joe and Ken.
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Ken, glad you liked them.
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Well... I've spent the last year also amassing a small collection of the last generation of America's "Little Sheffield"... Canal Street Cutlery. While I have been posting over on their forum, I have neglected posting them here... so to correct that...

11865 11866

I already pick up a CSCo-op pinchback with Chestnut handles... but @ 5" this "Sqeeze" lock is really impressive...
11868 11867

...and my favorite (partly due to the green bone) & first of the Cannilter pattern for me to own... ::groove::

I really do like the looks of their mica pearl handles... so when this doctor's knife was offered, I just had to pick it up...

so here's the above addition with the very first CSC knife I had acquired... a stockman with the same kind of handle...

I did check off the list another type... the English Barlow with neat red, white & blue Kirinite handles thanks to a fellow AAPK member, Coreysbu...
12053 12054 12052

...also was lucky enough to pick up this Hawbaker Special. According to Rich Langston, whom I bought the knife from, it is a prototype for a special set of seven display knives commissioned by Red Hill Cutlery in 2009.
12057 12055 12056

I'm tickled to have obtained this one... 2009 AAPK stockman...
It was only after I purchased it that I found it was the first year AAPK started offering limited edition annual issues & that the shield came from Schrade.
12106 12105

Next is one of their ubiquitous patterns... the single blade Half Moon Trapper. What attracted me to this one tho was the Cream Soda (Carmel) colored jigged bone handles. On the description label, "Cream Soda" is typed, but someone handwritten "Carmel", so I'm not sure if the company changed its mind on what to called the handle material or if someone else didn't like what they called it.
12104 12103 12102

Never thought I'd be able to get one of these type of knives... the 2009 Friends of NRA (FNRA) D'Holder (CSCC Bowie Hunter) with a Gold blade etch of a moose (My girlfriend's nickname is Moose.) and peened genuine leather handle. My only disappointment is that it didn't come with a leather sheath... only a cardboard one with the CS sticker on it, but then again it's more for display than to carry...
12101 12099 12100

...and finally getting around to posting my Red Trout Boy's knives... one in the Green bone & a clip blade... the other in Mahogany bone & sheepsfoot blade (I really do like this blade)... made by Eric Albers (ea42). A former Canal Street cutler, who to my knowledge, is the last in the area to still be making knives commercially. The Red Trout branding was for Rich Lanigan (also from the area), who most unfortunately passed away last June.
11869 12107 11894 12108

That may be it for me for a while as my collection as well as all my other stuff is getting packed up for the BIG move to Virginia soon...
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice Canal Street collection, Ken! ::tu:: That mica pearl handle material is very eye catching.
Dan
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very nice Ken. Thanks for bringing these Canal street knives and the work that Eric is doing to more people’s attention. They deserve it. Your collection is awesome. I may have a sheath for your knife. I will send a PM after I do some digging.
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

My third Schrade knife from the Nilo Miori collection. He was president of Camillus for man years and had over 4,000 knives in his collection. Schrade Cut. Co., Walden, NY. 4 inches closed.
Attachments
etch.jpg
pile 2.jpg
schrade mark.jpg
scrade closed back155.jpg
scrade closed mark154.jpg
top.JPG
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Mike, an outstanding example with great provenance ::tu:: ::tu:: Wonderful addition to your collection!! Congratulations
Lloyd
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very nice! Congrats
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great old Schrade Cut Co. single spring Muskrat. Just a top example, has not changed since it left the factory over 75 years ago.
kj

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”