America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
wlf

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by wlf »

Hello everybody, I am thankful I can say that.

Wow what a thread Kaw.

I can help a little later on,must attend to vehicle problems. That's called a spud on the Spine of Joe's modified spey blade. A unique and rare knife,especially with the handles intact. here's a link to some more information about Joe's knife.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/resc ... ck.398149/
Attachments
Schrade catalog E supp 1936408.jpg
Schrade catalog E supp 1936 S 7309F.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Nice knives and compilation of history. I saved the timelines and will take a look at them this evening. ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Great stuff, I'm loving the pictures and the history and catalogs cuts.thanks for posting to all you fine fellers. ::tu:: ×10
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks for info Lyle & that link was a great read! I think it will help Joe realize more what a precious piece he has there.... ::tu::
supratentorial wrote:Nice knives and compilation of history. I saved the timelines and will take a look at them this evening. ::tu::
bighomer wrote:Great stuff, I'm loving the pictures and the history and catalogs cuts.thanks for posting to all you fine fellers. ::tu:: ×10

Thanks for visiting & I hope you stick around.... there's more to come.... ::super_happy::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, I guess I'll quit stirring paint with the ol' Fibestos. ::woot::

I just drool over Lyle's beautiful Farmers Jacks and others that show up in certain threads.
I thought this knife was Schrades way of putting a less expensive knife on the market.
So I guess it's kind of rare. That's pretty cool.
I paid $55.88 for it in July. 5 bids, 5 bidders. Who knew?

Thank you Lyle for the information on this knife. ::handshake::

A very informative thread for everyone. And apparently more to come.

Here's a Dwight Divine.
Attachments
DSCN8907.JPG
DSCN8910.JPG
DSCN8913.JPG
Joe
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Joe what a beautiful Divine, and with an unusual shield as well!! They don't get much better than that!
Those fibestos handles on the Schrade are in great shape, here's what happens when they get a little gassy:
Schrade Cut Co Budder,Pruner 3.jpg
KAW great thread, and fantastic knives being posted!

Eric
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you Eric. It's one of my favorite knives. Thanks to Steve Pfeiffer.

Ouch ..... that's too bad about that knife. Your blades look fantastic. Maybe a rehandle?

I hope these handles hold up.
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

FRJ wrote: And apparently more to come. Here's a Dwight Divine.
That's right.... I was predicting you would be posting more great knives.... and you came thru with that divine Divine!! ::not_worthy:: ::clapping::

Eric, so glad you found us here! ::handshake:: I agree with Joe about possibly rehandling.... I bet black ram's horn would look mighty fine on there....

I would be remiss if I moved on without mentioning that New York Knife Co. also did a good amount of business and dedicated a fair amount of their factory space to their table cutlery production line. I don't have much info here, but it seems it may have started at or near the beginning of the company as they were big on supplying this type of cutlery during the civil war & afterwards. They made several different patterns of the pewter inlay in the handles of both wood & bone. Don't know if they named any of the patterns or if they were offered at different periods. If anyone knows more or can point to a source, that would be great....

Here's a set of 6 forks & knives I picked up a little while ago. I've been keeping an eye out for these for about a year now.... There's a good amount out there both in wood & bone in varying degrees of condition & $$$, but these looked pretty good for the $$$ offered.... they do look good enough to eat with & have thought about setting the table with them for dinner one eve.... ::skeptic::

ohhh!.... and I found the hard way that it is carbon steel they are made of as I washed them with dishsoap & water after "cleaning them up a bit".... now when I "do dishes" I'm in the habit of washing & just letting them air dry in the drainer.... then next morning, I discovered little brown polka dots all over the metal portions of both forks & knives.... ::dang:: ....had to "clean" them up all over again & this time after washing I made sure to towel dry immediately & throughly.... ::doh:: ....then I gave them a coating of mineral oil, metal & wood. Certainly do take our stainless flatware for granted these days.... ::shrug::

10186 10187 10190
10188 10191 10189
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Those are beautiful utensils KAW.
I have some that may be from the same era but I don't really know.
Elegant flat ware from long ago.
Attachments
DSCN8948.JPG
DSCN8949.JPG
DSCN8952.JPG
DSCN8954.JPG
DSCN8957.JPG
DSCN8958.JPG
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thems the fancy ones you got thar, Joe! :mrgreen: ::tu::

I believe they had a name for each of the patterns, but dang if I know what they are?
I haven't even heard of let alone seen a catalog for the tableware, but they must have had them at least for the retailers.
'til later....
Ken

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here are some that I think will fit into the history of this thread. First is a NYKC Tree scribe. Second is an Electric Cut Co with the Walden stamp. Third is a US made knife contracted for Wester Bros.New York that I feel certain was made by NYKC. And finally a whittler that I believe was made in Germany for Friedman and Lauterjung who were the originators of the Electric brand which later became Electric Cut Co. Newark, NJ. in1890 and and later bought NYKC.
Attachments
20170829_161141.jpg
20170829_161220.jpg
20170829_161246.jpg
20170829_161335.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KAW

Post by KAW »

::welcome:: Greg.... I just recently discovered the 2nd page of Emojis & been dying to use this one.... :D
Yes.... those beauties fit right in perfectly with this thread. I've seen dozens of those tree scribes on the Bay, but really haven't gone after one mainly because I can't wrap my head around its use.... from the photos I've seen, I just don't get it.... ::shrug:: ....how does one go about using this gadget? ::cb::
'til later....
Ken

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

KAW wrote:::welcome:: Greg.... I just recently discovered the 2nd page of Emojis & been dying to use this one.... :D
Yes.... those beauties fit right in perfectly with this thread. I've seen dozens of those tree scribes on the Bay, but really haven't gone for one mainly because I can't wrap my head around its use.... from the photos I've seen, I just don't get it.... ::shrug:: ....how does one go about using this gadget? ::cb::
KAW, they are really quite interesting. From my research their main use was to mark oaken whiskey barrels with date and maker. The tip is very sharp and will cut a groove into wood. Also used in the timber industry to mark trees to be cut. They are also call rase knives, timber scribes and some have brass handles for use in conditions like marine dock loading where rust would be highly corrosive.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

KAW, who was John B. Russell in Walden?
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Greg.... That help clear things up quite a bit. I like the part where they were used for whiskey barrels. :D
FRJ wrote:KAW, who was John B. Russell in Walden?
Well somebody has been studying the timeline. ::woot::

from the Timeline:
1876: John Russell’s edge tool factory in Napanoch (est. 1866 & most likely making axes) became Russell Tobacco Knife Co.
Later started the John B. Russell Knife Works.
1912: John B. Russell Knife Works became the Humphrey Knife Factory.

John B. Russell was not in Walden, but was mostly known for his Tobacco Knife Company in Napanoch. Altho, there is very little documentation that I have come across yet, it appears he may have first started up with an axe company (there were several axe companies in Napanoch throughout the second half of the 19th century and it was stated he had established an "edge tool factory" in 1866).... but it was his tobacco knife (really a cigar cutter) that put him on the map. I've been on the prowl for more than a year now to find one with no success. I found a brief statement that sometime later, he opened a knife works in his name and that it was sold off to become the Humphrey Knife Factory. That is all the info I have been able to dig up on either of these two knife works.... nor have I seen any examples of their knives.... ::shrug::
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, KAW, I appreciate that information as I'm sure others do too. It would be nice to find that cigar cutter. ::nod::

I wonder if there is any relation to John Russell in Green River, Ma.

Thanks again.
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Here's my S7309F rehandled in walnut by David Anthony and given me. My cousin and I stained it black to be more original. Notice the extra thick liners as noted in the cut description. Also the wharncliffe blade as opposed to the usual hawkbill pruner.
Attachments
Schrade S7309F Fibestos (4).jpg
Schrade S7309F Fibestos (5).jpg
Schrade S7309F Fibestos.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a pretty cool little Walden knife. A 3 incher.
Attachments
DSCN8991.JPG
DSCN8993.JPG
DSCN8995.JPG
DSCN8996.JPG
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

About a month ago, I posted this in the Razor forum, but not much info turned up.... and I figure before I move off of NYKC here, it would be appropriate to post here & hope with this crowd someone may know more about the subject....

Not that I'm a collector of razors, however last May I came across on the Bay a straight razor with a tang stamp: New York Knife Co. / Walden, N.Y. I have not come across anything even hinting that they made razors. Even more bizarre was the seller's location was in Estonia (formerly part of Russia). Fortunately the price was low enough to take a gamble. It looks great!... but is it authentic?

Then I found a thread here on AAPK about Electric Cutlery Co. straight razors and hope there may actually be a connection here. In 1903, the Fuller Bros. of Electric Cutlery Co., Newark, NJ purchased New York Knife Co. and ironically the Walden factory and the Hammer Brand line almost immediately became their primary operation. The Newark plant was closed down in 1910 and the Electric Cutlery Co. line manufactured at Walden was discontinued in 1920.

Apparently, Electric had a product line of straight razors. The question is.... after "merging" with NY Knife, did they continue the razor line under the new name (hence explaining the razor in the photo)? .... perhaps still making them in Newark until 1910? .... or did they move the operation to Walden as the tang stamp suggests? A photo posted by Miller Bro's shows an Electric Cutlery straight razor that looks very similar. I would really like to know exactly what I have here.... is it a fake or genuine?

10033 10034

Here's a the photo posted by Miller Bro's showing the Electric Cutlery straight razor on the left.
Attachments
ElectricRazors.JPG
'til later....
Ken

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Kaw I have a couple of early Electric straight razors . One is marked Freidman and Lauterjung and the other is marked Electric Cutlery Co. Newark N.J. I saw your post in the other thread. While I have seen many razors marked with the Electric Cutlery stamp I have not seen one marked as yours is with New York Knife Co. but it sta d's to reason that just because they gave up the name Electric they wouldn't just stop making razors. I believe 1910 was well before the safety razor was introduced so it would have still been a lucrative business. Also the design is exactly the same as the Electric so I would guess that NYKC just kept making them.
Attachments
20170830_190906.jpg
20170830_190920.jpg
20170830_190943.jpg
20170830_190955.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Regarding the razors most of the cutlery companies had them made in Germany and Britain with their respective tang stamps and shipped here for re-sale. Razor making was a whole other specialized ballgame and took a lot of skill and specialized grinding equipment to get that tin foil thin edge. I'm not sure who, if any made them here but I know Schrade Cut Co had them made overseas, and I'm fairly certain NYK did as well. That's a really cool example KAW, I had that on my watch list for quite a while! Greg those are beautiful Electrics!

Here's another flatware set from NYK in the original box, I think that paper they're wrapped in is original as well. KAW I don't know if each pattern had a name but they were numbered. This, according to the box was pattern 210, handles appear to be rosewood:
New York Knife rosewood flatware.jpg
Eric
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice flat ware, Eric. ::tu::
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a nice little Schrade.
Attachments
DSCN9002.JPG
DSCN9004.JPG
DSCN9005.JPG
DSCN9010.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a nice old New York Hammer harness jack.
Attachments
DSCN9015.JPG
DSCN9017.JPG
DSCN9019.JPG
Joe
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Joe that serpentine jack hits all the right buttons; beautiful pattern, matchstrike pull, older tang stamp, can't get any better than that!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”