America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by LongBlade »

Late to the party - but..

John - Some real eye-candy - great group of knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ..

Post by KAW »

Finally got some time & a new knife to bump this thread back to the top...

a Schrade−Walden MoP Lobster № 877 in its original gift box!... and was promptly shoved in a drawer for the next 62+ years...
as the original paper (which appears to be printed on tissue wrapping paper as it is so thin) states this knife was made in the Walden, NY factory that had burned down in 1958, forcing the company's move to Ellenville. Looking thru the catalogs at http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/, the last year this knife was offer was in 1957...

11526 11523 11525 11524
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
KAW

Post by KAW »

... also from the same vendor...
a Schrade−Walden №878RB with its view tube packaging...

I'm not a big fan of the stainless steel handled knives, but am a sucker for any knife still in a view tube + its a pretty rare pattern as it was offered only in 1965 & '66. Appears unused but has a faint Stainless Steel Razor Blade etch which doesn't show up to well in the photo.
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

John, I am a lot later than Lee, but those are some real beauties you posted on the previous page! ::tu:: ::tu::
Great bump, Ken, two great knives in original packaging!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Dan...
What a surprise I got this weekend!!! ::ds::
My GF stopped at a yard sale while out & about... found this old Schrade Cutlery Co. Press Button knife and picked it up for me!
Its a keeper (and actually so is she!) ::groove::
Other than a "fish tail" type in not too good condition, this is my first press button in a shadow pattern.
A previous owner certainly favored one blade over the other but is still in good working order with the blades locking about 4 out 5 times using the buttons. According to the catalog cut this one has "Golden Pearl" celluloid handles...
11592 11591
11593 11594
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice, Ken!. definitely a couple of keepers! ::tu::
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knife, Ken. I understand the seamstress enjoyed this knife back in the day.
And what a pal you have. ::nod::
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Great surprise Ken and some fine mint examples.

Seamstress, Joe? Elaborate please.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

wlf wrote: Seamstress, Joe? Elaborate please.
I remember reading, some where, that the little press button was used by seamstresses. I have no valid account of this.
It makes perfect sense though. Of course you had the professional sewers and in every home, depending on how many daughters were in the family, there were at least two seamstresses. Most women sewed in the early years. If you could afford it, the little one hand press button was very convenient.
And it makes a great story, don't you think? :)
Attachments
DSCN8701.JPG
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Yes. :)
Thanks.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I’ve heard exactly what Joe noted and in fact I remember an old ad for them directed at women - those push button autos were popular with the seamstress’ for ease of use plus they didn’t want to break their finger nails ::nod:: ... guess scissors became the only choice after these knives were banned in the mid 1900s..

Nice gift knife too Ken ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by KAW »

Thanks Dan, Joe, Lyle & Lee...
Interesting tidbit about that particular style of knife being popular with seamstresses.
My GF's grandmother was a professional seamstress in northern Vermont, but have not any stories relating to pocket knives.
'til later....
Ken

ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hope you guys dont mind me bumping this thread
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
IMG_4256.JPG
IMG_4257.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I'll give the thread a bump too.

Beautiful old knife, Mark, by the great New York Knife Co.

Here's a fine old Ulster Knife Co. NY.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN9598.JPG
DSCN9599.JPG
DSCN9605.JPG
DSCN9610.JPG
DSCN9614.JPG
DSCN9634.JPG
DSCN9637.JPG
DSCN9639.JPG
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

FRJ wrote:I'll give the thread a bump too.

Thanks for looking.

Agree Joe, Marks knife is a beaut but yours is absolutely steller, beautiful whittler!
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

UPDATE!! I cant revise or fix my picture that is already posted, Sorry. I will post a New Picture of it below.

I was a bit concerned about trying to approximate the date of manufacture of this knife, So I shot Mr. LT (Knives of the Hudson Valley) a question regarding its stamping & His Help to approximate the date. He Graciously gave me his opinion on it being either a later production NYK but also look more Walden knife to him. This definitely Jog my memory about NYK knives so I wrote a small story about what I believe. I do concur with Mr. LT Completely about this particular stamping & thought it was important enough to post on aapk. I hope you guys dont mind. Is this FUN or what...

I will go into my thoughts on the Next Post
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
IMG_4256.JPG
IMG_4257.JPG
IMG_4258.JPG
IMG_4261.JPG
IMG_4263.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Here are my thoughts about this knife & its Stamping

The question is Was the knife made by New York Knife or Walden Knife Co in Walden New York? I personally believe the knife to be made by Walden Knife Co & not NYK.

I believe the knife to be 1900s era because both blades are stamped & the fact it has "Hammered Pins" & not Spun center pins. Spun center pins are found on 20s & later era knives. 2nd good fact is "On a small knife this applies" there are extra pins on both sides of the handle,,,Again this is another clue for it being pre 20s. I dont believe its 1880s or older because the master blade has a nail nick instead of Long Pulls. The long pulls were pretty common back then even on small knives. So this leads me to HELP date the knife to approximately the 1900s era.

Now the fun part for those who enjoy this sort of thing. New York Knife Co was NOTORIOUS & it was Very Common for them to use Steel Center Pins & the outer pins "Brass". This knife has all steel pins. Last but not least is the knife is VERY BEEFY BULKY & Round feeling for its SIZE. Most NYK knives that I have had the pleasure of owning were on the more THIN side COMPARED to WALDEN knives of this size.

I hope I didnt bore you too much fellas.
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
IMG_4256.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

FRJ wrote:I'll give the thread a bump too.

Thanks for looking.
Stunning knife Joe ::tu:: ::tu::
ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Guys, Here are my thoughts about this knife & its Stamping

The question is Was the knife made by New York Knife or Walden Knife Co in Walden New York? I personally believe the knife to be made by Walden Knife Co & not NYK.

I believe the knife to be 1900s era because both blades are stamped & the fact it has "Hammered Pins" & not Spun center pins. Spun center pins are found on 20s & later era knives. 2nd good fact is "On a small knife this applies" there are extra pins on both sides of the handle,,,Again this is another clue for it being pre 20s. I dont believe its 1880s or older because the master blade has a nail nick instead of Long Pulls. The long pulls were pretty common back then even on small knives. So this leads me to HELP date the knife to approximately the 1900s era.

Now the fun part for those who enjoy this sort of thing. New York Knife Co was NOTORIOUS & it was Very Common for them to use Steel Center Pins & the outer pins "Brass". This knife has all steel pins. Last but not least is the knife is VERY BEEFY BULKY & Round feeling for its SIZE. Most NYK knives that I have had the pleasure of owning were on the more THIN side COMPARED to WALDEN knives of this size.

I hope I didnt bore you too much fellas.
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Interesting Mark and beauty of a knife ::tu:: ::tu:: ... not at all boring - some of us love the aspect of the history etc ::nod:: ... BTW - what’s the closed length of that Walden?

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Thx Lee for the kind words. It is 3 1/8" closed
Kind Regards,
Mark
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Lee, Did you notice the bolster is nickle silver & Not "steel" like the older 1880s era knives
Kind Regards,
Mark
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Mark ::tu:: ... no I didn’t catch that aspect of bolster - I was too busy admiring the knife as a whole :D ..

Post by FRJ »

ratlesnake75 wrote: I personally believe the knife to be made by Walden Knife Co & not NYK.

Mark, if the knife were made by Walden wouldn't it be stamped as such and not New York knife? See pictures.

it has "Hammered Pins" & not Spun center pins. Spun center pins are found on 20s & later era knives.

My old knives with wooden covers do not have spun center pins. My assumption is that they were all peened and fashioned to a proper finish. I wish I knew more about this procedure.

Your other points sound valid to me.
Both companies were probably strong in 1900. New York knife being older and earlier according to Goin's.

Mark
Attachments
DSCN9702.JPG
DSCN9705.JPG
Joe
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey FRJ, If I may comment Sir on your question of the stamping. It can be read both ways. We know they had different stampings depending upon the years they were made. I am only going by my personal experiences here though. I am sure not into digging deep historical facts if you know what I mean. Here is another stamping of the Walden knife co that I posted earlier w/ the Curved Stamp on secondary blade. Could have their been a collaboration period between the 2 company's located in Walden? I dont know at all man & thus the reason for me posting this interesting stamping.
Kindest Regards & Blessings,
Mark
Attachments
s-l500 (1).jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey FRJ, I forgot to mention that I did enjoy your remark about "spun pins". I too wish i knew more about this procedure & it confuses me even on modern knives. This case xx "wood" knife was made in the 60s. Does the knife have spun pins? I am still on the learning curve as always my man.
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Mark, were always learning. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”