Henry Sears and Son 1865

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Henry Sears and Son 1865

Post by peanut740 »

Mike ::tu::
Roger
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

galvanic1882 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:31 pm Here are 2 Henry Sears knives with pop up corkscrew, George Korn patent on a nice counter felt.
Very nice counter felt Mike ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice show of two unique knives, Mike, and a nice felt to show them with. ::tu::
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

Waukonda wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:11 pm 3 1/4" Candy stripe
That’s a beauty Ike ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

galvanic1882 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:31 pm Here are 2 Henry Sears knives with pop up corkscrew, George Korn patent on a nice counter felt.
Great stuff! ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this nice Henry Sears & Son MOP whittler at the flea market today. Typical tapered back and is 3 1/4" OAL closed.
IMG_4654.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Now that's a great flea market find. ::tu::
Congratulations, OLDE CUTLER. ::tu::
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

O C ::tu::
Roger
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks to Roger added a Henry Sears & Sons 1865 curved sheepsfoot jack to the collection this week. 3 5/8" with a thick heavy feel to it. To me it is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye with the curve of the frame and the sheepsfoot blade.
Attachments
IMG_5758.jpeg
IMG_5762.jpeg
IMG_5764.jpeg
IMG_5769.jpeg
IMG_5773.jpeg
IMG_5776.jpeg
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knife!!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Fabulous jack knife, John. ::tu::

Thanks for sprucing up this thread with it. ::tu::
Joe
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

JohnR wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:56 pm To me it is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye with the curve of the frame and the sheepsfoot blade.
In full agreement with that statement!
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Awesome knives! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That one is a real beauty!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Joebrady1975

Post by Joebrady1975 »

Hi. I've got this Henry Sears knife, and I wanted to find out how old it is. Either my Dad's or my Grandpa's, not sure. Anybody know how to find out the age?
Attachments
20221009_144013_resized.jpg
20221009_144759.jpg
20221009_143737.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice old well used packer you have there, Joebrady1975.
That it was owned by a family member make it all the more special.

A couple of dates are associated with your knife with various locations. 1865-1879 and 1883-1897.

There is also a date of 1897-1959 by Farwell-Ozmun-Kirk who purchased Henry Sears & Son 1865.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings you may have a clearer picture of the dates and so forth.
Joe
Joebrady1975

Post by Joebrady1975 »

Thanks! Do you think it started out with blades that small, or have they just been ground down to where they are now?
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I think the pen blade, the one that is fully opened, is approximately the same size. It dosen't look like it has been used or sharpened much.
The main blade, the one partially opened, was about the length of the handle. A bit shorter of course.
It looks like it may have been snapped to approximately the length you see now and ground to a usable shape.
Your father or grandfather liked that knife very much to keep using it in spite of it having a snapped blade.
It's a keeper!
Joe
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Was this knife made by Camillus? Any idea when it was made?
Attachments
DSCF0081.JPG
DSCF0082.JPG
DSCF0083.JPG
DSCF0085.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I apologize in advance for posting the following monstrosity among such splendid examples of HENRY SEARS & SON 1865 knives. But, posted as a reference, it does still serve a purpose. Anyway.....

Very recently, this advertising and or waiters' pattern or style of pocket knife, arrived in a group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I did NOT buy the group or lot of pocket knives to obtain this particular pocket knife. It will NOT be added to my general, pocket knife accumulation. It will go in my broken pocket knives box. It is in the shape of a champagne(?) bottle and advertises two different brands of champagne(?) It is a HENRY SEARS & SON 1865, two blades, two tools (a cork remover(?) and a foil cutter), two tang stamps, two tool stamps, 3 3/8" closed, milled liners, three springs, advertising and or waiters', pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp (curved or arched style) says, "HENRY SEARS (over) & SON (over) 1865" The cork remover(?) front stamp (in a box) says, "KORN'S (over) PATENT" The secondary blade back tang stamp (curved or arched style) says, "HENRY SEARS (over) & SON (over) 1865" The foil cutter stamp says, "REGISTERED" Half of the main handle side is missing. The other handle side is 99.999% complete. The two blades are broken. The two tools are intact. Both of the blade stubs have a VERY CRISP half stop, with a NASTY opening and closing snap. Both of the blade stubs are VERY SHARP!!! The cork remover(?) tool has a good half stop, also with a very good opening and closing snap. The foil cutter has no half stop and no opening or closing snap. This pocket knife is in POOR condition. I just cleaned up the blade tang stamps and the tool stamps. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Back Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Back Tang Stamp.
Left - The Cork Remover(?) Front Stamp.<br />Right - The Foil Cutter Stamp.
Left - The Cork Remover(?) Front Stamp.
Right - The Foil Cutter Stamp.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

That is a classic looking knife, Skip, in spite of the scale issue. Piper Heidsieck is a classic brand, and that knife has a really cool look to it. ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:15 pm That.....
Thank you, Ike.🍻

Skip
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:00 am posted as a reference, it does still serve a purpose. Anyway.....
No need to apologize, it certainly does serve a purpose.

A very interesting early knife and one that heightens the interest of that brand.

Thank you for posting it. ::tu::
Joe
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

FRJ wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:59 pm No.....
Thank you, Joe.🍻

Skip
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:00 am I apologize in advance for posting the following monstrosity among such splendid examples of HENRY SEARS & SON 1865 knives. But, posted as a reference, it does still serve a purpose. Anyway.....

Very recently, this advertising and or waiters' pattern or style of pocket knife, arrived in a group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. I did NOT buy the group or lot of pocket knives to obtain this particular pocket knife. It will NOT be added to my general, pocket knife accumulation. It will go in my broken pocket knives box. It is in the shape of a champagne(?) bottle and advertises two different brands of champagne(?) It is a HENRY SEARS & SON 1865, two blades, two tools (a cork remover(?) and a foil cutter), two tang stamps, two tool stamps, 3 3/8" closed, milled liners, three springs, advertising and or waiters', pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp (curved or arched style) says, "HENRY SEARS (over) & SON (over) 1865" The cork remover(?) front stamp (in a box) says, "KORN'S (over) PATENT" The secondary blade back tang stamp (curved or arched style) says, "HENRY SEARS (over) & SON (over) 1865" The foil cutter stamp says, "REGISTERE" Half of the main handle side is missing. The other handle side is 99.999% complete. The two blades are broken. The two tools are intact. Both of the blade stubs have a VERY CRISP half stop, with a NASTY opening and closing snap. Both of the blade stubs are VERY SHARP!!! The cork remover(?) tool has a good half stop, also with a very good opening and closing snap. The foil cutter has no half stop and no opening or closing snap. This pocket knife is in POOR condition. I just cleaned up the blade tang stamps and the tool stamps. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

Skip, here is some more info on the knife. George Korn had the patent for it. There are a couple of patents for champagne, bartenders knives. Most that I've seen are marked Henry Sears. The patents are pretty cool. See the attached links for more info. Pictured are 2 knives with Korn patents. I do not own one with the big double tanged cork remover like yours has. On the 2 knives pictured, when all the blades are closed, and you press down on the foil cutter the corkscrew pops up. I have a Cattaraugus that is similar to the pearl one and there is one in an old Cattaraugus catalog.

I have thought for a very long time that JBF Champlin did business with Henry Sears as he did with George Korn. I have no paperwork toy prove that just knives that I believe are related.

Here are a couple of links

https://www.datamp.org/patents/displayP ... 0&id=31260

http://www.bullworks.net/virtual/korn/kornspat.htm
Attachments
IMG_1524.jpg
IMG_1523.jpg
IMG_1522.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”