EXCELSIOR

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Beechtree

Re: EXCELSIOR

Post by Beechtree »

Thanks very much Charlie. She was a good price to boot.
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thought I'd add pics to this thread. Tang stamp is very faint but can be read in just the right light.
Attachments
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Scott,I believe that one would have come from the time Northfield used the tang stamp. ::tu::
Roger
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

What a great post LT.
That is what i like about you, you go into things to the nth degree to get at the truth. A great read, thank you.
Tony Moat.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Excelsior folding hunter that I 've had for awhile.
Attachments
20140817_221932-1.jpg
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Oh man, Roger, that is an amazing and beautiful knife. A true museum piece. ::tu::
Joe
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

peanut740 wrote:Scott,I believe that one would have come from the time Northfield used the tang stamp. ::tu::
When was that?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Up until 1920 or so.The look of the construction would place it towards the latter.There was a guy named Gill who used Northfield marked blades from left over parts into the 1960's.It is possible I suppose that he also could have used blades marked Excelsior also, but that is complete speculation.
Roger
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Here's mine that I have posted years ago but not sure where, pics are not that great sorry.
Attachments
excelsior.jpg
excelsior1.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives Scott, Roger and Mike ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Scott - actually that is the first Excelsior I have seen with celluloid handles and thanks for bringing this back to top ::tu::

Roger that Excelsior is rather special for sure - minty as they say and beauty of an etch ::tu::

Mike - a Cattle knife with MOP and nice etch - awesome as well ::tu::

Any Excelsior is pretty rare... Never knew we had a thread on Excelsior as I see it was resurrected from 2012... Here's a Excelsior Hawkbill from me that belongs here as well...
Front Closed DSCN5074A.jpg
Blade Open DSCN5086A.jpg
Tang Stamp DSCN5104A.jpg

Post by thefarside »

Interesting old folding hunter, still has some etch, but unable to make it out.
Attachments
DSCN3667[1].JPG
DSCN3668[1].JPG
rubi04tj

Post by rubi04tj »

peanut740 wrote:Up until 1920 or so.The look of the construction would place it towards the latter.There was a guy named Gill who used Northfield marked blades from left over parts into the 1960's.It is possible I suppose that he also could have used blades marked Excelsior also, but that is complete speculation.
Just wanted to correct somethings here. Mr. Gill worked and then owned the equipment (and still does) from 1920ish and its still in the family. The knifes made by him are all original and not "left overs" The markings at the time were trade marked and belonged to him. He continued to make knifes as a hobby until the early 50s when his son took it over again for a hobby and continuing the name. The original machines and forges from the old buildings are still kept here. There are no other connections other than name to any knife company out there now.

Excelsior branding was because at one time there was a Excelsior Knife company in Torrington Ct that Northfield bought out in 1885 or so.

I just registered here to post this as it is part of my family history and its something I have learned more about recently. I have of course grown up with the equipment and unknowingly some of the awards and lots of paper documents.
Tinman44

Post by Tinman44 »

I understand this is about Excelsior knives but I have a pair of shears that I can't seem to find any info on. I can just barely make out the stamp and it seems to say excelsior. Any an all info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
15414122183371178624222.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

It is possible that they are Excelsior made shears... I wasn’t aware that they made them but certainly possible... The stamp is curved as was seen on some of their knives and the pin connecting the shears certainly looks old... You have a photo of the shears as a whole (end to end)?

Post by Tinman44 »

Sure do, not sure if the pin was larger but it looks like the tried to hammer it to make it tighter. The blades do have a good bit of gap between them.
Attachments
15414708717061724927634.jpg
15414709559381856440237.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Tinmann44 and thanks for sharing the photos ::tu:: ::tu:: ... There is a book called American Scissors and Shears by Phil Pankiewicz - though he doesn't have info on Excelsior Knife Co making scissors or shears he does have Northfield Knife Co listed and importantly they bought Excelsior Knife Co in 1884... Since Northfield continued using the Excelsior stamp in addition to their own Northfield stamp on cutlery for 20 years I am speculating these may indeed be the same Excelsior... In looking through the book I saw similar scissors from the same time period - same handles and pin so the age appears correct.... I think they are pretty cool 8) ..

Post by Tinman44 »

That's quite an informative read, its ashame they don't mention excelsior that much or have a product catalog, perhaps its lost to the ages now. I was considering contacting a historical society from the town but I doubt they'd have much more to offer. Either way I thought you guys would appreciate it. Thanks again
KAW

Post by KAW »

I've got a couple of folders that belong here... any additional info about them would be super cool to know...

a 3 1/8" jack with some pretty worn blades but nice ebony handles. Has the arched tang stamp.
10881 10880

then a beefier 3 1/2" jack with fuller blades... the main being a clip... with jigged bone handles. Has the straight lines tang.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
wlf

Post by wlf »

Did Oz give you those wonderful scissors? Hmnnn..

Unique jigging on that one Ken.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Tinmann44 - You can try the historical society but my experience with one close by to Northfield was not much help... surprising given the role of the cutleries in providing jobs back in that time period...

Ken - Nice score on the Excelsior knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ... the jigging as Lyle noted certainly is appealing - and with that clip blade master a very cool knife ::nod:: ...

Post by Tinman44 »

I thought as much with the historical societies. I got them of an ol buck I work with they were his grandfathers. His grandfather used them for wallpaper and they've been used in different trades right up until he gave em to me. The stories they could tell
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

I see in the new Dec 2018 issue of Knife Magazine that the Excelsior name has been purchased by Ryan Daniels, and they are releasing new high end knives, incorporating the old trademark logo into the stamp. Kind of neat. The first new knife is out now, and a picture is shown on their website.
Carl B.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I would think the market will be pretty limited for a $450 single blade knife. :shock:
Roger
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Yes, probably so. But if he only makes 25 piece knife runs, 3-4 times a year. He probably has a high-end customer base for that amount.
Carl B.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

peanut740 wrote:I would think the market will be pretty limited for a $450 single blade knife. :shock:
Yeah, for $450 I would buy an original first! ::nod::
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”