Viking knife co. New York

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Meridian_Mike

Viking knife co. New York

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hello all.
I found this one yesterday and it is in the mail on it's way to me.
I am finding a little info on it but some is a bit confusing. Goins says "EW Viking USA - E. Wedemeyer - ca. 1931 - 1934."
Levine's shows "Wedemeyer,Eric - Viking E.W. - New York, NY - made in USA - Retail(?) - ca 1930s"

SO... it sounds like someone was making these knives for Eric Wedemeyer and stamping the "Viking" trade mark on them for him to retail under his name.
I can't find many images on the net with the "VIKING" in a diamond and then the "EW" under one side of the diamond and "NY" under the other side of the diamond like mine.

Y'all got any of these to throw in on this thread?

Not a great pic of the tang stamp on mine......
viking EW NY 3.jpg
Here is the knife... it's a big one.....
viking EW NY 2.jpg
Here is a pic I found on google images of a knife with the same shaped body.....
viking-EW-NY-large-folding-ref-2.jpg
And the tang stamp.......
viking-EW-NY-large-folding-ref-1.jpg
Seems like these knives weren't made for very long.
Do y'all have any Vikings?

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Viking knife co. New York

Post by peanut740 »

Union/Kabar made folding hunters.
Roger
BWT

Post by BWT »

Don't have any Mike, but you seem to be coming up with some nice,old, rare knives lately ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

BWT wrote:Don't have any Mike, but you seem to be coming up with some nice,old, rare knives lately ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Bill....
Yep, I spend way too much time and money on knives. (Well, maybe not TOO much.....LOL)
I like finding the unusual ones. Several have just happened to cross my path lately.

Mike
:D
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is another thread I found over in the "general knife discussion" area.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50331&p=535486&hili ... ng#p535486

This is a thread where Dale did a restoration on a Viking.
I see the discussion brought out the comment that the knives were made by Union Cutlery....
(Same as you mentioned Roger)

Mike
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

VIKING was a trademark of Eric Wedemeyer who had a sporting goods store in NYC during the early 1930s. Some, perhaps many or most were made by Union Cut/KA-BAR but I have also seen some with his mark made by Western and Kinfolks. I believe the knife in question was made by Colonial due to the handle material. If it is a more of a cracked ice celluloid it could be a Union knife, perhaps the photos aren't that good? If it is more of a solid white I'd say Colonial.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OK... so several knife makers made knives for Wedemeyer and they put his "VIKING" stamp on the tang.
Let's see.... we have,

Union Cutlery / Kabar
Western
Kinfolks
Colonial

I guess this must have been like the CRAFTSMAN knives made for Sears by several different manufacturers.
Very interesting.

THANKS!!
::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is the other side of mine..... Cracked Ice?
viking EW NY 1.jpg
Mike
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Still pretty sure your knife is Colonial made. I have had several in that pattern and size and the cell looks like the cell on those. Cracked ice, but with only a thin layer on top of solid white. Those Vikings by Union have cracked ice that looks much "deeper". Not all Union made Vikings will have the stamp, I have a few that have a KA-BAR or Olcut tang stamp, but have VIKING etched along the top of the mark side of the blade.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Mike - you must have more patience and less OCD than I do. It would drive me absolutely crazy to have knives where I didn't know the manufacturer or any of their history. In fact, just having knives where I only know a range of dates and not the actual age makes me unhappy! :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Mike - you must have more patience and less OCD than I do. It would drive me absolutely crazy to have knives where I didn't know the manufacturer or any of their history. In fact, just having knives where I only know a range of dates and not the actual age makes me unhappy! :lol:
LOL... actually, I have a LOAD of OCD and a very limited amount of patience.....

I have searched the net and except for the comments here..... I have come up with a big ole ZERO.

Actually, my Goins is an older one and all it said was Union Cutlery / Kabar was the actual maker. I had no idea that Western, Kinfolks and Colonial was in the mix. They put the date at 1931 - 1934 which is a tighter year span than a lot or knives I have.

So....Onward I go.....

Mike
::shrug::
Richard greiner

Post by Richard greiner »

I have a I think a bone handle 3 3/4in fixed blade hunting knife marked viking E.W New York in a rectangle
1563691504814964012622.jpg
I think KA-BAR made this one because the pommel is basically the same as my 1930 KA-BAR
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like Case jigging on the fixed blade. Great bone and nice looking knife!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”