Paxton & Gallagher, Omaha

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Paxton & Gallagher, Omaha

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have managed to pick up a couple of knives made by Paxton & Gallagher, Omaha. They appear to be very old, very heavily built knives. These are the only two I have ever seen, and there does not appear to be much discussion of them here on AAPK. I have included pictures of the two I have and would like to see more photos of others. I don't really know too much about them as a company, or what other patterns they made. My older edition of Goins states that they were in business from 1864-1959. I don't know if they made their knives or contracted them.
My first one is a Harness Jack, 3 5/8", bone handled, steel rat tailed bolsters with steel pins and nickle silver shield. It has a spear and awl blades, with the awl having a matchstrike pull.
IMG_1690.JPG
Second one is a Sleeveboard Whittler, 3 5/8" bone handled, nickle silver bolster with steel pins, and nickle silver shield. It has a Wharncliffe?, sheepsfoot, and awl blades. Like most whittlers, the main blade uses both of the springs. In this case the main blade is .176" thick. The awl looks like is may have been longer earlier in its life, and has a matchstrike pull.
IMG_2453.JPG
Let's see other Paxton & Gallagher knives that you have.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
LongBlade

Re: Paxton & Gallagher, Omaha

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives Olde Cutler ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I don't have any Paxton & Gallagher knives to contribute but would like to see others myself :)

The first harness jack is a beauty - and very cool awl!!! I like harness jacks but don't have many.. One thing I have read though is that the type of awl can be a clue as to the maker but I am not at all versed in the different awls - I will say that my Empire-made Shapleigh Cattle knife awl was the give-away for the manufacturer as it had the Alvord patent number on the tang of the awl... for other awls it is the style of awl that seems to pinpoint possible makers... maybe somebody else will come along who knows more about the different awls and their maker origins ...

The second knife is interesting - I have looked at the master blade all different ways and am leaning towards it having been a spear point - if it was a wharncliffe the depth from spine to cutting edge is pretty hefty compared to many wharncliffe blades.. Also I have never seen an awl on a whittler configuration - is it a wedged back spring?? - Do you have a photo of the pile side of that knife with blades open?? I would like to see the other side of the awl.. Is that awl just like the one on the other knife??
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Wonderful knives OC. I mespecially like the bolsters on the harness Jack - very unusual.

I agreevwithnLee regarding the master blade on the whittler having been a spear originally, for the reason he stated. I could easily be wrong though. Regarding the awl, I've seen a few whittlers with punch secondary blades. Not very common but they do exist. I'd like to see the other side of that one also - is it an awl, or a re-profiled blade? In the picture it appears wider at the shoulder than the punch on the other knife. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Utica had a punch with a matchstrike pull.Not sure if it is the same .
Roger
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Pictures of the Paxton & Gallagher whittler. I was speculating on it being a Wharncliffe blade that had been sharpened over time to the shape it has now.
The back side
IMG_2443.JPG
Note there is no tapered spacer between the springs. The springs themselves are tapered.
IMG_2454.JPG
Note the brass spacer between the blades. It does not go between the springs though.
IMG_2455.JPG
Close up of the awl. I believe it has been broken and is shorter now that it was when new.
IMG_2445.JPG
I too think this a most interesting knife. I too have never seen a whittler with this configuration.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have a couple of whittlers with that same "catch bit" spacer construction. The spacer separating the secondary blades sits atop the backsprings.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very interesting Olde Cutler!!! No doubt I think you hit it on the head - the awl must have been broken and re-profiled as you noted ::nod:: - like Ken I thought from the mark side view it may have been just a very sharpened down pen blade ... In terms of the back springs - I have seen other whittlers with no wedge and just 2 tapered back springs with just a brass catch bit between the 2 secondary blades... Very cool though - nice to see a different whittler configuration with an awl as a secondary ::tu:: ... Nice score 8) ..
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up the whittler last weekend at an antique shop. The guy said he had never heard of Paxton & Gallagher so he would take $10 for it. He said if it was a Case he would be asking $40.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This bolster lock five inch jack sold on Ebay several years ago for in excess of $600.00.

I bid, but very quickly washed out.

This knife was definitely made by The Robeson Cutlery Company.

This is the best Paxton & Gallagher knife I have ever seen.

Seller did not post a photo with the blade open. Everybody that bid took a chance on the knife.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
PaxtonGallagher1.jpg
PaxtonGallagher2.jpg
PaxtonGallagher3.jpg
PaxtonGallagher4.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:This bolster lock five inch jack sold on Ebay several years ago for in excess of $600.00.

I bid, but very quickly washed out.

This knife was definitely made by The Robeson Cutlery Company.

This is the best Paxton & Gallagher knife I have ever seen.

Seller did not post a photo with the blade open. Everybody that bid took a chance on the knife.

Charlie Noyes
Charlie
Thanks for the photos. That one is real nice. Do you have a ball park date when Robeson may have made that one? My whittler has the same tang stamp as the one you pictured. The harness jack I showed does not have Made in USA as part of the tang stamp, so could be from a different manufacturer or era.
RobesonsRme.com

Levine states in LG-IV, that "MADE IN U.S.A." first appeared around late 1910's and early 1920's, but was uncommon until required by law in 1960.

I have never seen the patent application for that bolster lock mechanism or if I have, I've forgotten it.

I've never seen one that wasn't clearly a pre-WWII knife, though.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I cannot be the only person who has Paxton & Gallagher pocket knives. If I am my two must be worth a fortune! Anyone have any to show off? I am particularly interested in seeing different patterns that they made.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice OC, I like to find the old rare one's myself ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
wlf

Post by wlf »

I think there were some counterfeits coffin jacks marked Paxton and Gallagher,along with other hardware brands going around a while back.

I remember when you first posted that bolster lock Charlie. Thanks for all the pictures for posterity you've posted. Could you find me another farmers jack ?

Nice whittler Dan. A lot of those were jumbo whittlers with spear blades, hard to tell from here though.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I think you have 2 rare ones there Olde Cutler ::tu:: - at least Chatlie showed one that sold on eBay with some nice background info early 1900s - I wouldn’t have known Robeson made it or did contract knives for Paxton & Gallagher... Maybe somebody may come along with another if not soon in the future :wink: ... I’m not sure their worth a fortune but no doubt more than you paid :D ... as they say rarity doesn’t necessarily equate itself to value....

Just saw Lyle’s post - I think somebody needs to find him a Farmers Jack - Farmers Jack obsession is a serious issue that needs treatment by acquiring another :lol: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

LongBlade wrote:
Just saw Lyle’s post - I think somebody needs to find him a Farmers Jack - Farmers Jack obsession is a serious issue that needs treatment by acquiring another :lol: ...
That's a tall order - there's only one or two left that Lyle doesn't have already. ::sotb:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

wlf

Post by wlf »

Charlie's found several,but I've not been as active and almost forgot my "bailiwick". Being involved in the GEC 14s has rejuvenated my knifing.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com

Lyle is tweaking me re' my vocabulary.

It's a running not-so-private joke. ::tu::

I'm going to have to come up with another obscure word, especially since I cannot pry that Montgomery Ward Farmer's Jack out of its owners hands.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Old Cutler : I just posted this on the "OLD and OBSCURE" thread then I found this thread. 3-1/2" barehead, Nice bones, Robeson-made ??.
Just looked up P & G. They were mostly a fancy grocery wholesaler in Omaha after 1879, although the hardware partnership dates to 1864. Looks like we have some rare ones. Too bad my pen blade is snapped but the spear is nice and sharp. I like the shield, it's just a bit different from similar ones.
Tang does not say "Made in U.S.A.. no room below Omaha ::handshake:: . J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2446.jpg
IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2449.jpg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Robeson R: That Paxton lockback is one gorgeous knife ! J.O'. ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com

Isn’t it just?

One of the great ones that I just could not afford.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Bone79

Post by Bone79 »

I just picked up a PAXTON and Gallagher Omaha Office Knife with either bone or Ivory covers . I'm still researching. Found this thread as I was searching . I don't know how to post pictures on here or I would show it off . It's beautiful. It also doesn't have the USA under Omaha
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Bone 79
1)snap the pic with your phone
2)email it to yourself
3)open the email and download the pics, should go to your "downloads" folder on your computer
4)click on the "post reply" box and write your post to the thread and click "attachments","add files", open the file from your downloads
5) there is a "preview" box to show you how it looks before you submit. If you're satisfied, hit "submit"

Good luck. J.O'.
Nikki7842

Post by Nikki7842 »

Hey, I was trying to find information on my pocket knife I got at a an auction. It is a Paxton & Gallagher. The one blade is pretty rough but it is pretty unique and I am not sure if I should sell it as buy it now or auction or wait. Any information would be welcome and thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG-1462.JPG
IMG-1461.JPG
IMG-1460.JPG
IMG-1459.JPG
IMG-1463.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 pm I cannot be the only person who has Paxton & Gallagher pocket knives. If I am my two must be worth a fortune! Anyone have any to show off? I am particularly interested in seeing different patterns that they made.
Well OC there’s a couple others around it looks like . After seeing Nikki 7842 post , it got me to thinking that I’ve got a box with one of those in it and sure enough one was in there . Don’t remember where it came from ,but have had it a long time . It’s a heavier piece and solid ,measures 3 and 1/4 inches long closed .
Did you ever find out anything else about the stamp ?
Ridge. Like yours this one doesn’t say USA below Omaha either .
Attachments
3CF1EB3D-4F91-4E44-BCEA-BBE4EE7CBAA4.jpeg
17E65B40-6B8F-44FB-88E9-B7853819AF0B.jpeg
JP

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”