Vintage Horn Handle Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knife7knut

Re: Vintage Horn Handle Knives

Post by knife7knut »

thegreedygulo wrote:And another H. Boker. The handles on this knife are supposed to be ram's horn according to the seller I bought it from years ago. I've never seen another one with handles quite like it, though it does remind me of some snakeskin bone I have seen on the OLD H. Bokers. ::shrug:: Opinions?
I would concur that it looks more like stag than ram's horn.Ram's horn usually has a much coarser grain to it and none that I have seen exhibits the,"popcorn" effect shown. Some people theorize that it is "pressed stag" created by heating the stag and applying a die with an appropriate pattern to it such as is done with horn. I personally think the pattern is natural.
I am posting pictures of a Wostenholm knife I have with a similar handle and an automatic with ram's horn handles to show the difference.
Attachments
Geo.WostenholmStagWhittler1.JPG
Geo.WostenholmStagWhittler3.JPG
2018AutomaticKnives 001.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Thanks for all the input & pictures guys. The handles of the knife I posted are considerably different than my other H. Boker stag handled knives. With that said, along with being told it was ram's horn when I bought it, I had just always wondered about it. I agree with the consensus that it is stag, particularly after seeing Knife7knut's pictures (Thank you) of a knife with known ram's horn handles. Thanks all. ::tu::
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
BWT

Post by BWT »

Here is three I have. The folding Dirk is 7.7" closed but unfortunately the maker is worn off. The other two are a George Woodhead and a Harrison Brothers and Howson. Thanks for looking and any comments or info.
Attachments
20181213_123718.jpg
20181213_123710.jpg
George Woodhead
George Woodhead
20181213_123835.jpg
Harrison Brothers
Harrison Brothers
20181213_123753.jpg
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Can't keep up with all the nice knives posted recently, nice knives everyone! ::tu::

BWT wrote:Here is three I have. The folding Dirk is 7.7" closed but unfortunately the maker is worn off. The other two are a George Woodhead and a Harrison Brothers and Howson. Thanks for looking and any comments or info.
Wow, 7.7"!

Outstanding old knife Bill! :shock: 8) ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Dimitri, that's wrong, it's 7.5". I didn't notice when I posted. Thanks for the comments!!
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Your welcome, could I see a close up of the bolster? Very unusual design.
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

This thread is exploding with nice horn - great knives all!!

Bill - That dirk has one nice long piece of horn and is very cool 8) ! However that Woodhead really is appealing to me ::nod:: - what’s the closed length of the Woodhead? Woodhead was a well known Bowie maker and made pocket knives as well in mid to later 1800s...

Post by BWT »

Sorry about the inside photos Dimitri, going to be gone the next couple days, I just wish it had a maker on the tang. Could be German? Lee the Woodhead is 3 1/8. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
20181213_202025.jpg
20181213_202044.jpg
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful knives, Bill. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A Humason & Beckley tuxedo pattern.
Attachments
H&BTuxedo2018 001.jpg
H&BTuxedo2018 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice one, Ray. ::tu::
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

thegreedygulo wrote:And another H. Boker. The handles on this knife are supposed to be ram's horn according to the seller I bought it from years ago. I've never seen another one with handles quite like it, though it does remind me of some snakeskin bone I have seen on the OLD H. Bokers. ::shrug:: Opinions?
Do you have a picture of the pile side Roger?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Hey Lyle,
Unfortunately no. I looked around in my computer and evidently I only photographed the shield side. To the best of my memory though, it is very similar on the pile side.
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
BWT

Post by BWT »

FRJ wrote:Beautiful knives, Bill. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Joe!!!
Bill
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

tongueriver wrote:
thegreedygulo wrote:Nice knives guys! Here's some H. Bokers to add to the mix.
I am loving everything I see in this thread, but I just wanted to say that Roger's Bokers are the best Boker collection in the world; this little snapshot is no more than that. I am in awe. :shock: ::tu:: ::tu:: :shock: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Cal!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

BWT wrote:Sorry about the inside photos Dimitri, going to be gone the next couple days, I just wish it had a maker on the tang. Could be German? Lee the Woodhead is 3 1/8. Thanks for looking.
Thanks Bill, I have seen that bolster design before but I can't remember where at the moment.
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here's a few more knives with horn handles.......
Attachments
1.jpg
borcsok.jpg
DUE BUOI 7.JPG
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Three very nice looking unusual knives Dimitri, my kinda knives, thanks for sharing ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives and cool horn variety Dimitri ::tu:: ::tu:: ....
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Lee! :D

Bill, I just remembered where I seen that bolster design. This set is from England circa late 1700's very large and ornate, made for the very wealthy. Photo courtesy of the Sheffield museum.
Attachments
Virtual2004.616-617.jpg
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Dimitri, definitely the same design on the bolsters. This is one of the knives, will never know who made it,where it was made or when it was made, but that's okay I was just excited to find it. ::handshake::
Bill
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Here is the only horn handle knife I own. Looks like horn to me at least. I am not sure about this one. I have not seen another horn handle Honk or Napanoch. Napanoch did make this pattern. The blades, shield, and tang are correct. It is unusual if it is indeed horn. Posting it here to see what the consensus is. Hope the pic is good enough.
horn.jpg
sleeveboard.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knife Jay ::tu:: and nice informational ad for patent stag - if the illustration is patent stag it no doubt looks different than other handles in question... IMO - Just based on photo and limited enlargement- I’m not sure your knife handles are horn as I’m not seeing the hair-like striations - looks more to be a dark celluloid or smooth black composition ::hmm:: ..

Post by JAMESC41001 »

You may be right Lee
wlf

Post by wlf »

United Cutlery Co Austria 3 3/4" Inlaid with ?s.
There you go Lee
Attachments
United Cutlery Austria508.jpg
United Cut Austria285.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”