Will and Finck

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
BWT

Will and Finck

Post by BWT »

Picked this up the other day. Not what I normally collect, but I couldn't let it go by. The walrus tusk is splitting on one side other than that pretty good condition with original case.
Attachments
1551134780142_IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
Bill
kootenay joe

Re: Will and Finck

Post by kootenay joe »

How many thousand dollars did you spend ?
An original W & F in original case in mint condition is close to priceless.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I am speechless. :shock: Congratulations! ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

BWT it seems you have gotten our attention. Tell us about it. Where you got it (if possible) etc. Thanks. An absolutely beautiful knife. ::tu:: ::shrug:: ::nod::
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Roland,Cal, and DL. I actually got it from a friend. I was kinda shocked to get, definitely unexpected. Thanks for the comments.
Bill
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I don't like to rain on parades, but the blade, guard, and mark do not look very "Will & Finck". The handle looks like a carving knife handle of perhaps the proper time frame. I would send photos to Bernard Levine or Mark Zelesky at Knife Magazine to get their expert appraisals, even if it cost a couple bucks. I have handled a bunch of real W&F knives and I am afraid the maker's mark here is not right, nor is the blade shape or the guard. I am afraid this is a modern knife made to deceive.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My post was along the same idea as Gunsil presents. Bernard Levine has said that there are very few authentic Will & Finck knives 'out there' and that nearly all purported to be are fakes. However there are some real ones and i do hope this is one of them.
I have carved ivory handles on Jos. Rodgers Tea knives from circa 1900. Mine are a "Tulip" pattern carving. The OP knife is a different pattern of carved ivory.
Carved ivory handles were made for household cutlery in Britain circa 1900. I don't know if American cutlers were also carving ivory into patterns for knife handles.
It is a beautiful dagger regardless of origin.
kj

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”