Rodgers and Sons

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: Rodgers and Sons

Post by LongBlade »

::woot:: - Mike - That Rodgers knife is KILLER ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ... What a beauty in a Norfolk whittler in all ways ::drool:: ...

Post by FRJ »

Mike, that thing is absolutely beautiful. ::tu::

Congratulation on taking ownership of that one.
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

WOW ! Mike i believe that is the famous Rodgers "Norfolk" pattern. What a great find. Top manufacturer, best pattern, and the very best stag. Wow !
kj
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks guys, I was really surprised but very glad ::hmm:: ::ds:: there was not much bidding on this one!!
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That’s sweet Mike.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

galvanic1882 wrote:Thanks guys, I was really surprised but very glad ::hmm:: ::ds:: there was not much bidding on this one!!

Stunning knife there Mike, so you were the one bidding against me :D Great buy!
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Mike, Go find another.... Outstanding!
Barry
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

JohnR wrote:
galvanic1882 wrote:Thanks guys, I was really surprised but very glad ::hmm:: ::ds:: there was not much bidding on this one!!

Sorry John, had a crazy high price on this one. Trying to buy any of them I see.

Thanks Barry
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

galvanic1882 wrote:
JohnR wrote:

Sorry John, had a crazy high price on this one. Trying to buy any of them I see.

Thanks Barry
No problem Mike, did not expect to get it for my high bid but had to try, figured a knowledgable collector would know how rare and desirable it was, congratulations on acquiring such a great rare knife!
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks John ::handshake::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

That is a beauty, Mike! ::tu::
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Jos. Rodgers 'His ? Majesty' Champagne pattern knife with tortoise celluloid handles (i think ?, no sign of off gassing) and a sterling silver master blade. The "His" or "Her" Majesty is hidden by the handles end, but if i am correct that hallmark is 1930 then it is "His Majesty" What is a bit odd is that J.R. began using stainless steel in the early 1920's (an 'early adopter') and this knife was made in 1930. By that time Jos. Rodgers had made thousands of stainless blades yet they stuck with tradition and used silver for the master.
I bought it for the name on the shield 'Johnnie Walker', on a Champagne pattern !
I know, handle end pieces missing.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7494.JPG
IMGP7495.JPG
IMGP7496.JPG
IMGP7497.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And here is another Jos. Rodgers from early 1900's (up to 1937 ?), a 4 blade senator, 3 1/4", half sunk joints and stag handles.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7498.JPG
IMGP7499.JPG
IMGP7500.JPG
IMGP7501.JPG
IMGP7502.JPG
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knives really love the stag! ::tu::
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Awesome Knives there Roland
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Some real nice ones, Roland. A lot of knife in slim form factors.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Its OK to laugh at this knife, I know its a Junker buts its a neat Junker too me, lol... Hahahha
It is an Interesting part of History for Joseph Rodgers. I personally haven't seen another, So I dont know how Scarce they are. If any of you have one that is in better shape, Please post it. From my Readings this knife is a R. Rodgers & Son (Rhoda) & was made Pre 1905
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Attachments
69735519_461569411239048_7983863824056844288_n.jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Only have a couple examples to share. Oddball examples, to say the least, but the craftsmanship always impressed me in every one of their knives that I've seen, so far. It's sort of a dignified appeal that seems to only increase over time..
Attachments
20190909_190805.jpg
20190909_190838.jpg
20190909_190854.jpg
IMG_20190425_105954.jpg
IMG_20190427_120018.jpg
IMG_20190522_123740.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rhoda Rodgers is a new one to me. Mark you find such a wide variety of knives. Maybe you are magnetic ?
Here is one that i might have shown before somewhere in AAPK ?
3 1/4" "Her Majesty" four blade senator with sunk joints. Top of the line knife in it's day, likely 1890's.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7539.JPG
IMGP7540.JPG
IMGP7542.JPG
IMGP7544.JPG
IMGP7545.JPG
IMGP7546.JPG
IMGP7547.JPG
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Man I love that knife Roland!!!! ::tu:: :mrgreen:
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Wonderful Rodgers knife Mr. Roland. Thank you Sir for taking the time to read about that Rhoda knife. I thought it was pretty fascinating myslef
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Corso

Post by Corso »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Guys, Its OK to laugh at this knife, I know its a Junker buts its a neat Junker too me, lol... Hahahha
It is an Interesting part of History for Joseph Rodgers. I personally haven't seen another, So I dont know how Scarce they are. If any of you have one that is in better shape, Please post it. From my Readings this knife is a R. Rodgers & Son (Rhoda) & was made Pre 1905
Kindest Regards,
Mark
Nice knife but I've read that R. Rodgers & Son (Rhoda) and Rodgers and Sons were different companies

I picked this info up a while back - appologies I don't recall who the original author is as I got it off a closed forum and don't know even if they were the original author. So appologies for not being able to give them credit for the research.

There were probably even more but these were the ones I took note of

George Rodgers, 150 Broad Lane. In 1849, G. Rodgers was listed as a spring knife and razor manufacturer in Edward Street, with a house in Broad Lane.

George Rodgers & Company. This cutler advertised in the Sheffield directory of 1839.

John Rodgers & Sons. The name first appears in a Sheffield directory, 1849, as a table and spring knife manufacturer in Bridge Street.
An interesting sidelight is thrown on John Rodgers's history by a legal case, which was launched in about 1840 by Joseph Rodgers & Sons. The latter took Nowill to court for infringing its name by selling knives stamped "J.Rodgers & Sons", with V(crown)R. According to Joseph Rodgers & Sons, the firm of "John Rodgers & Sons" never existed.

Joseph Rodgers & Company. According to trade advertisement, this company was founded in 1800 (through that may refer to the granting of its "3436" trademark). The name doesn't appear in Sheffield directories until 1871, when the firm of Joseph Rodgers was listed as a spring knife manufacturer at No.29 Norfolk Street. In that directory it was described as "successor to John Rodgers & Sons".

5. R.Rodgers & Sons. This business, which was formed after the death of C.W.Rodgers in 1860, should not be confused with Richard Rodgers & Son. The "R" denotes Rhoda, who inherited the enterprise after the death of her husband.

Richard Rodgers & Sons. In 1841, Richard Henry Rodgers (aged 58) and his son of the same name (aged 20) were spring knife cutlers working in Porter Brook Yard.

William Rodgers.

James Rodgers - the Unwin & Rodgers trademark.

And finally Joseph Rodgers & Sons."In 1821, Joseph Rodgers and Sons secured an appointment as cutlers to His Majesty King George IV, an honor which encouraged them to greater efforts and stimulated their competitors. About that time arose the practices of scoring the top and bottom of the tang with file-cuts or flutings to keep the fingers from slipping, and of stamping the initial of the sovereign (G R, which became WR on the accession of William IV in 1830, and VR when the reign of Queen Victoria began in 1837)".
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello Rodgers Fans,

I picked up something historical on the Bay last night. Didn't even realize how historical it is untill I started researching it today. One blade appears to be broken off ? I guess? ::shrug:: but none the less, it's a cool find to me.

The tang stamp seems to read: "Rodgers Cutlers to His Majesty"

Apperently, as you can read, it was made for PINCHIN JOHNSON & Co.

One side reads:

PINCHIN, JOHNSON & Co., LD
GENERAL BUILDINGS, ALDWYCH, LONDON.W.C.2

The other side reads:

MAKERS OF FINE VARNISHES
COLORS, PAINTS & ENAMELS

"ALDWYCH" is a street name in London.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinchin ... Associates

Pinchin & Johnson Co. or Pinchin Johnson & Associates Ltd. was founded in 1834, sold to Courtaulds in 1960 and merged with International Paint in 1968. So the knife must have been produced before 1968. I'm still trying to find out more about this knife so if anyone can add to my knowledge please do so.

Here are 3 pictures from the seller. I will try to clean it & post more pictures of it once I have it. Enjoy the pictures & thanks for any information you wish to share. ::handshake:: :D And as always, if I ever post a knife someone is crazy about, just ask me, I'm easy going & we can probably work out a trade of some kind. ::tu:: I enjoy helping where I can. ::handshake::

Tom
Attachments
s-l1600-87.jpg
s-l1600-158.jpg
s-l1600-181.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Corso

Post by Corso »

TPK wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:20 am Hello Rodgers Fans,

I picked up something historical on the Bay last night. Didn't even realize how historical it is untill I started researching it today. One blade appears to be broken off ? I guess? ::shrug:: but none the less, it's a cool find to me.

The tang stamp seems to read: "Rodgers Cutlers to His Majesty"

Apperently, as you can read, it was made for PINCHIN JOHNSON & Co.

One side reads:

PINCHIN, JOHNSON & Co., LD
GENERAL BUILDINGS, ALDWYCH, LONDON.W.C.2

The other side reads:

MAKERS OF FINE VARNISHES
COLORS, PAINTS & ENAMELS

"ALDWYCH" is a street name in London.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinchin ... Associates

Pinchin & Johnson Co. or Pinchin Johnson & Associates Ltd. was founded in 1834, sold to Courtaulds in 1960 and merged with International Paint in 1968. So the knife must have been produced before 1968. I'm still trying to find out more about this knife so if anyone can add to my knowledge please do so.

Here are 3 pictures from the seller. I will try to clean it & post more pictures of it once I have it. Enjoy the pictures & thanks for any information you wish to share. ::handshake:: :D And as always, if I ever post a knife someone is crazy about, just ask me, I'm easy going & we can probably work out a trade of some kind. ::tu:: I enjoy helping where I can. ::handshake::

Tom
Nice knife always hard to date Rodgers knives - i've several that i've given up on and just accepted they are old

- Cutlers to His Majesty was used in several periods - but the last ended in 1952 as that's when Queen Elizabeth 2nd came to the thrown - She never gave them Royal appointment for some reason

found this the other week some clues to the age/period atleast
rodgers appointments 2.JPG
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great Information Corso! ::tu:: So if I'm reading the tang stamp right, and it's "HIS", it's not the first His Majesty because that was before 1834. Placing it somewhere between 1901 & 1952. Thanks for the input! ::tu:: ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”