Prolific H.B.&sons Sheffield splitback whittler

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Mwootey

Prolific H.B.&sons Sheffield splitback whittler

Post by Mwootey »

Can anyone give me some information on this knife? I know it's about 100 years old. Just curious what handle material may be. It shows some pitting so im thinking maybe it's acrylic. Any tips on how to possibly restore a shine to it would be great
Attachments
received_861194374273972.jpeg
Doc B

Re: Prolific H.B.&sons Sheffield splitback whittler

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK. ::welcome:: You may want to post some additional pictures, with the blades open. That may help others give you more info on your knife. Most folks prefer to leave a patina. Overt rust can be removed. Here is a prior thread about cleaning up old knives.
viewtopic.php?t=53486
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Are you referring to making the handle scales shiny like the rest of the knife? Those bolsters are way shinier than when the knife was new, they did not put high polish on them in the old days. Acrylic was not even known 100 years ago so it can't be that. A better close up photo would help and yes, we would like to see the rest of the knife. Almost looks like wood in your photo, but it would be better to see a closer view. Blade markings sometimes help in getting a ballpark idea of age and that helps by knowing which materials were available, often used, etc.
Mwootey

Post by Mwootey »

15686634765914112824203799225845.jpg
Attachments
1568663542020978919895847691325.jpg
Mwootey

Post by Mwootey »

Thats as good as i can do on tang stamp. It says prolific H.b.&sons
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Certainly a wonderful old knife and the pic's make it more identifiable and enjoyable. Thanks. ::tu::
Mwootey

Post by Mwootey »

doglegg wrote:Certainly a wonderful old knife and the pic's make it more identifiable and enjoyable. Thanks. ::tu::
Thanks brother, it ain't perfect but it'll make a fine user with a good story.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The maker is Henry Bernascone & Sons.Forget where I found the name(it isn't listed in Goins or Levine's books).I have a couple of their knives.Kind of rare but not really that collectible as no one knows them.
Attachments
Prolific or Prolitic Sheffield H.B.&Son 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mwootey

Post by Mwootey »

knife7knut wrote:The maker is Henry Bernascone & Sons.Forget where I found the name(it isn't listed in Goins or Levine's books).I have a couple of their knives.Kind of rare but not really that collectible as no one knows them.
Good deal. Should be a great user for whittling. It took a fune edge very fast
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

If you position the blade as knife7knut did in his photos you can get a better picture of the tang stamp.

In your picture of the knife with the blades open; are those holes in the covers (handles)?
If so, your covers could be horn.
Nice old whittler. How 'bout a picture of the springs.
Joe
Mwootey

Post by Mwootey »

FRJ wrote:If you position the blade as knife7knut did in his photos you can get a better picture of the tang stamp.

In your picture of the knife with the blades open; are those holes in the covers (handles)?
If so, your covers could be horn.
Nice old whittler. How 'bout a picture of the springs.
they are holes in the covers. The brass center piece between the springs always pops up after i open it a couple times. Just gotta push it back into place.
Attachments
15687387935443764435670976856336.jpg
15687388500181901869434925903280.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I regret not noticing the absence of pins in the covers of your knife.
Your knife covers may be epoxied on or some such thing.
The holes I am seeing may be holes from cover pins on a previous knife.
Now I'm thinking your covers are wood.
The spring pin apparently only goes into the liners and apparently does not control the brass wedge between the springs.
I'm assuming the wedge stays put between the two blades and pops up in the center of the knife.
Otherwise she's one heck of a packer.
Joe
Mwootey

Post by Mwootey »

FRJ wrote:I regret not noticing the absence of pins in the covers of your knife.
Your knife covers may be epoxied on or some such thing.
The holes I am seeing may be holes from cover pins on a previous knife.
Now I'm thinking your covers are wood.
The spring pin apparently only goes into the liners and apparently does not control the brass wedge between the springs.
I'm assuming the wedge stays put between the two blades and pops up in the center of the knife.
Otherwise she's one heck of a packer.
Yea. The wedge stays put between the two blades and pops up in the center. There seems to be some depth i can see in some part of the handle material and looks to have a type of swirl in it.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”