Jenner & Knewstub

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Jenner & Knewstub

Post by LongBlade »

One of my finds from NCCA in Marlborough :D ...

Jenner & Knewstub (1856-1889) / London – Sportsman’s Knife

Jenner and Knewstub was established in 1856 by Frederick Jenner and Fabian James Knewstub. The address was initially located at 33 St James Street and in 1862 was extended to 66 Jermyn Street. Both locations were in the St James, SW section of London which was an area frequented by the aristocracy for shopping. In fact Jenner & Knewstub held royal warrants with both the royal families of both Britain and Russia. They were not only listed as cutlers but in addition jewelers, watchmakers, and skilled craftsmen of dressing cases, jewelry boxes etc.. Jenner & Knewstub exhibited at the 1862 Exposition in London and the 1878 Exposition in Paris. Interestingly a partner of Jenner and Knewstub, Charles Louis Faber, died in 1886 but not much is known about when he joined the company nor his role. It is interesting that the company was liquidated and absorbed only 3 years later by A Webster & Co in 1890 which was located at 60 Piccadily, London. Supposedly the Jenner & Knewstub name continued for a time period under Webster as a limited company. (Summarized from The London Knife Book by Ron Flook and http://www.antiquebox.org/jenner-and-knewstub/ - in fact if you have The London Knife Book check Jenner & Knewstub for a photo of a closely related sportsman’s knife with just a few minor differences)

This Sportsman’s knife with ivory handles is 5 1/8” closed – a solid and very heavy knife with a few different blades, implements and interesting features. Despite the few small chips of ivory missing at the knife end, the blades are very full and all snap hard. I attached a photo below of the master blade closed in the handle and the tip couldn’t possibly be much longer – in fact the end of the spring which was used to create the catch bit had some special file work to allow the master blade to fit. Another photo shows the inner handle well where the pen blade was located – interestingly a spring was created that suspended off the master blade spring so that the pen blade would open and close perfectly. I can see that the end of the pen blade spring is suspended above of the master blade spring and seems to dovetail or be an extension of the runup from the main spring. This spring was the only way a pen blade of this size could be included on the knife in the same handle well - I have never seen a spring of this type within the handle of any other knife. Are others familiar with this design when 2 blades of significant size difference are located in the same handle?

The knife has 7 blades and implements including a master blade, pen blade, large glove hook (maybe gut hook) with a nail nick, corkscrew with some filework (photo attached), hoof pick and both the original pick and tweezers are still intact in the handle of the knife (given the exact fit). Given the chips of ivory were located on that end it is amazing the handle damage avoided those areas where the pick and tweezers are located – the chips were on both sides of the tab for the pick but notably the pick is secure…. The hoof pick is very tight on this knife and I have a feeling the ivory chips were perhaps a result of some aggressive attempts at opening :shock: though again do not think this knife was used much based on overall blades etc . Nonetheless the handle chips don’t take away from this knife at all imo – this knife really tripped my trigger for many reasons ::woot::

Of interest is also the scrimshaw work with the initials of the original owner which are abit of a mystery. It looks like the last name started with “K” and one other initial is “p” but can’t quite make out the first letter – maybe “g” or “q”?? I am assuming these letters were in “olde” English so I may not recognize the first letter..

For those interested, I posted the usual array of photos and some of the notable features of the knife for a closer view. Thanks for looking!!
Mark Side DSCN1728.jpeg
Pile Side DSCN1740.jpeg
Blades Open DSCN1836.jpeg
The ruler gives some reference to the size -
Blades Open w Ruler DSCN1860.jpeg
Here's a view of where the master blade ends when closed - note a filed out area in run-up of spring to allow the full blade to close - also a cut out in handle for the pen blade is shown:
Master Blade Tip & Details DSCN1768.jpeg
Note the spring inside the well to accommodate the smaller size of the pen blade which is open to the right in this photo:
Pen Blade Spring DSCN1955.jpeg
Scrimshaw initials on the handle:
Scrimshaw - Initials DSCN2021.jpeg
Tang Stamp of master blade but pen blade is marked exactly the same:
Tang Stamp - Mark Side - Master DSCN1907 3.jpeg
Tang Stamp - Pile Side - Master DSCN1927.jpeg

Re: Jenner & Knewstub

Post by BWT »

That's quite a find Lee ::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice ole knife and a rare maker to boot!!
Bill
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

That's quite a knife Lee! ::tu::
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Good show, Lee and some great history. ::tu::
Great photos too.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Bill, Roger and Joe ::handshake:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That is a really neat old knife. I had not seen one like it before. Great find.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks OC ::handshake:: ...

Post by knife7knut »

Beautiful knife and a great score. As to the monogram on it,I think the first letter may possibly be an I although it is of a very unusual shape.It is a monogram rather than initials because in a monogram the first letter of the last name is always slightly larger than the others and positioned in the center whereas initials are all of uniform size and the first letter of the last name is on the end(right side).I have some old lettering books;I'll see if I can find that particular font.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Ray ::handshake:: ... I understand what you note about it being a monogram - thanks for the clarification ::tu:: ... Not sure I see an "I" (instead of "g" or "q") but you may be right !! .. That would be great if you can find the font in an old lettering book as it would help! Be interesting to know the name of the font and any background ::nod:: ..

Post by FRJ »

I think the first letter is a stylized "A".
Joe
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Cool knife and thanks for the history, ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great knife history lesson and a very cool knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very interesting and beautiful old knife Lee. Jenner and Knewsub was indeed a premium outfitter catering to the wealthy.

Here is a related quill knife I have posted before on AAPK. I believe the pins are gold. 6 1/8" overall length. The quality and craftsmanship of their products is tops.
Attachments
IMG_9090.JPG
IMG_9091.JPG
IMG_9092.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Joe (maybe an "A" :) ), Mike, 1967 redrider and Wayne ::handshake:: ... much appreciated!!

Wayne - Thanks for sharing that Jenner & Knewstub quill - Lovely quill!!! - indeed it shows the top notch skill of this company ::tu:: ::tu:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I also believe the first letter is an "A". They just made the left leg of the "A" a little shorter in order to produce a visually centered monogram?
Beautiful knife Lee ::nod::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

btrwtr wrote:Very interesting and beautiful old knife Lee. Jenner and Knewsub was indeed a premium outfitter catering to the wealthy.

Here is a related quill knife I have posted before on AAPK. I believe the pins are gold. 6 1/8" overall length. The quality and craftsmanship of their products is tops.
Hey btrwtr, was the long handle on that quill knife used in folding the letter into envelope shape for mailing. Really a great knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Old Folder wrote:I also believe the first letter is an "A". They just made the left leg of the "A" a little shorter in order to produce a visually centered monogram?
Beautiful knife Lee ::nod::
Thanks Dan ::handshake:: .. In looking at it again and after Joe's suggestion which is in agreement with your suggestion, I can see how this can be an "A" in a stylized artistic form with an extended side to match the others ::hmm:: ... funny we will most probably never know the name but at least it would be nice to understand the letters in the monogram :D
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That is quite a find, Lee. Beautiful old knife. Thank you for filling us in on the history of Jenner & Knewstub.
Mel
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Mel ::handshake:: ... When I first saw this knife it no doubt caught my attention :D ... and this was after hunting through a large collection of Waterville - it was quite a day at the NCCA show ::super_happy:: ... I'm also glad that folks enjoy the history and I quite enjoy searching the background of the old knives, and of course sharing it ::tu:: ..

Post by woodwalker »

Very nice piece! And thanks for always sharing the history with us. We all learn that way. Enjoy seeing your fine accumulation of cutlery!! :)
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

doglegg wrote:
btrwtr wrote:Very interesting and beautiful old knife Lee. Jenner and Knewsub was indeed a premium outfitter catering to the wealthy.

Hey btrwtr, was the long handle on that quill knife used in folding the letter into envelope shape for mailing. Really a great knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
I believe the long extended handle was used as a page turner. I suppose it could also be used as a letter opener.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

woodwalker wrote:Very nice piece! And thanks for always sharing the history with us. We all learn that way. Enjoy seeing your fine accumulation of cutlery!! :)
Thanks very much WW ::handshake:: ....

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”