Ships at Sea / Ocean Liners.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ships at Sea / Ocean Liners.

Post by Old Folder »

Reverand wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm I am intrigued by those knives, Old Folder. At first glance I didn't think much of them, until I realized that these were not images stamped into plastic handles, but are instead engraved into MOP.
I'll bet they are even more impressive in person.
Thank you for sharing the pictures and the stories!
Your very welcome Reverand.
I can only imagine all the work and various steps of detail and research that had to be taken to produce the final results of these historical pieces.
Kind of makes our current new knife production procedures seem quite simple and mundane.
Perhaps that's why I like "advertisers" so much.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Very nice, Dan.

I have seen such knives over the years. I was always intrigued by one from the Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth.

Always wondered if any existed from the Andrea Dorea and the ship with which she collided.

Probably none from the Titanic, as she was lost on her maiden voyage.

My Dad’s ship, the USS GENERAL W F HASE was used after WWII to transport civilian passengers to Japan during the occupation, but I doubt they had anything like this.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:07 am Very nice, Dan.

I have seen such knives over the years. I was always intrigued by one from the Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth.

Always wondered if any existed from the Andrea Dorea and the ship with which she collided.

Probably none from the Titanic, as she was lost on her maiden voyage.

My Dad’s ship, the USS GENERAL W F HASE was used after WWII to transport civilian passengers to Japan during the occupation, but I doubt they had anything like this.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie.

Your Fathers Ship was a very historic contributor to WWII and received eight Battle Stars for Korean war service.
I remember reading about the "USS GENERAL W F HASE" years ago and even saved the below picture and Service History of his ship.
You most likely know the ships history, but I thought I would share it with other aapk members to relay your Fathers great Military contributions.

Service history:
After shakedown out of San Pedro, General W. F. Hase departed San Francisco 15 July 1944, with 3,000 troops and $29 million in military currency. After touching at Pearl Harbor, she debarked the fighting men at Eniwetok, returning to San Francisco 26 August, with 2,100 soldiers. Between 20 September and 1 November, the transport steamed out of Seattle, carrying more than 2,000 troops to Pearl Harbor and 2,800 thence to Manus, Admiralty Islands, before returning to San Francisco with 2,500 veterans of the New Guinea campaign on board. Continuing to support the westward drive of naval forces in the Western Pacific, between 23 November and 20 April 1945, she made two round trips out of San Francisco, shuttling troops to New Guinea and the Philippines and bringing home veterans from New Caledonia and Manus.

During the next 12 months General W. F. Hase made six round-trip voyages, including two circumnavigations of the earth, while deploying troops to and from the United States. Departing San Pedro 9 May, she carried 2,600 troops to Melbourne, Australia, where she arrived 27 May. After steaming to Fremantle, Australia, she reached Calcutta, India, 14 June, and embarked 2,500 homebound soldiers. She then sailed for the United States via Ceylon and the Suez Canal and arrived Norfolk 20 July. She departed Norfolk 5 August for the Mediterranean; and as part of the "Magic Carpet" fleet, she embarked more than 3,000 troops at Marseilles, France, before returning to New York 27 August. Operating out of New York between 1 September and 27 December, she sailed twice to Calcutta and back with more than 6,000 troops. On 11 January 1946, she again departed New York for Calcutta; and, after embarking 2,900 troops 8 February, she steamed via Manila to the West Coast, arriving San Francisco 8 March. Between 1 and 15 April, she carried 1,000 occupation troops to Yokohama, Japan; and on her final "Magic Carpet" voyage she returned 2,800 veterans to Seattle 28 April.

She was reacquired by the Navy 1 March 1950, and assigned to duty with Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS)). She operated out of San Francisco, carrying more than 75,000 troops and their combat cargo to the Far East in support of the Korean War. Between 1950 and 1953 she made 19 round-trip voyages to Japan and Korea, and she returned to San Francisco from her final Far East deployment 29 August 1953. Towed to San Diego in June 1954, she was placed out of service in reserve in July, and remained inactive until returned to the Maritime Administration (MARAD) 8 January 1960, when she was berthed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, California.

She was sold for scrapping on 15 October 1984 to Goldwiles Texas Inc. and was broken up in Taiwan in 1985.
General_W._F._Hase_(AP-146).jpg

Yes, I imagine some souvenir ship knives exist for the Andrea Doria being that it was a very popular passenger ship.
At 11:10 p.m 1956, 45 miles south of Nantucket Island, the Italian ocean liner Andrea Doria and the Swedish ocean liner Stockholm collided in heavy Atlantic fog. Fifty-one passengers and crew were killed in the collision, which ripped a great hole in the broad side of the Italian vessel resulting in
the deaths of 51 people.
Here is the current resting place of the Andrea Doria but is in much worse shape now that this picture.
The Chrysler "Norseman" show car, built by Ghia in Italy was on board and lost on the Doria. The tires might still be there inside the wreck.

andrea_doria_chrysler_norseman.jpg

esquire_doria_4.jpg

I have also wondered if the Titanic had "Ship Knives" in their gift and barber shops. It was certainly in the right time frame.
This is a model of the Titanic ship as it currently sits at the bottom of the Atlantic.

IMG_0003.JPG
Dan
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Dan, the photo you posted of the W. F. Hase was my father's photo. I still have it. I posted the photo on the MSTS website and I can see the reparative edits I made using PhotoShop on the copy you posted. There are some white spots and defects on the original.

I posted a photo of Dad's watch crew on that site, as well.

Dad joined the crew at Pearl Harbor when she first arrived there in July, 1944 and was discharged in early January, 1946, in New York, so he did not make that final WWII voyage to Calcutta.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The below Battleship "Tirpitz" knives are now available through "Boker USA 2020 Catalog".
A larger picture is available on page #12 & #13 of the below pictured "Outdoor & Collection Catalog.
download.png
https://www.bokerusa.com/catalog-request

The German Battleship "Tirpitz" was the second of two Bismarck-class battleships built for Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine (navy) during World War II. Named after Grand Admiral Alfred von Tirpitz, the architect of the Kaiserliche Marine (Imperial Navy), the ship was laid down at the Kriegsmarinewerft Wilhelmshaven in November 1936 and her hull was launched two and a half years later. Work was completed in February 1941, when she was commissioned into the German fleet. Like her sister ship Bismarck, Tirpitz was armed with a main battery of eight 38-centimeter (15 in) guns in four twin turrets. After a series of wartime modifications she was 2000 tonnes heavier than Bismarck, making her the heaviest battleship ever built by a European navy.

maxresdefault_38.jpg
Fleet_Air_Arm_attack_the_battleship_Tirpitz.jpg

The final British attack on Tirpitz, took place on 12 November 1944. The ship again used her 38 cm guns against the bombers, which approached the battleship at 09:35; Tirpitz's main guns forced the bombers to disperse temporarily, but could not break up the attack. A force of 32 Lancasters from Nos. 9 and 617 Squadrons dropped 29 Tallboys on the ship, with two direct hits and one near miss. Several other bombs landed within the anti-torpedo net barrier and caused significant cratering of the seabed; this removed much of the sandbank that had been constructed to prevent the ship from capsizing. One bomb penetrated the ship's deck between turrets Anton and Bruno but failed to explode. A second hit amidships between the aircraft catapult and the funnel and caused severe damage. A very large hole was blown in the ship's side and bottom; the entire section of belt armor abreast of the bomb hit was completely destroyed. A third bomb may have struck the ship on the port side of turret Caesar.

The amidships hit caused significant flooding and quickly increased the port list to between 15 and 20 degrees. In ten minutes the list increased to 30 to 40 degrees; the captain issued the order to abandon ship. Progressive flooding increased the list to 60 degrees by 09:50, though this appeared to stabilize temporarily. Eight minutes later, a large explosion rocked turret Caesar. The turret roof and part of the rotating structure were thrown 25 m (82 ft) into the air and over into a group of men swimming to shore, crushing them. Tirpitz rapidly rolled over and buried her superstructure in the sea floor.

Tirpitz capsized
In the aftermath of the attack, 82 men trapped in the upturned hull were rescued by cutting through the exposed bottom. Figures for the death toll vary from approximately 950 to 1,204. Approximately 200 survivors of the sinking were transferred to the heavy cruiser Lützow in January 1945.

The performance of the Luftwaffe in the defense of Tirpitz was heavily criticized after her loss. Major Heinrich Ehrler, the commander of III./Jagdgeschwader 5 (3rd Group of the 5th Fighter Wing), was blamed for the Luftwaffe's failure to intercept the British bombers. He was court-martialled in Oslo and threatened with the death penalty. Evidence was presented that his unit had failed to help the Kriegsmarine when requested. He was sentenced to three years in prison, but was released after a month, demoted, and reassigned to an Me 262 fighter squadron in Germany. Ehrler was exonerated by further investigations which concluded poor communication between the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe had caused the fiasco; the aircrews had not been informed that Tirpitz had been moved off Håkøya two weeks before the attack.

The wreck of Tirpitz remained in place until after the war, when a joint German-Norwegian company began salvage operations. Work lasted from 1948 until 1957; fragments of the ship were sold by a Norwegian company. Ludovic Kennedy wrote in his history of the vessel that she "lived an invalid's life and died a cripple's death".

https://youtu.be/YuKyYn0B0dQ

Below article was written by:
David Grossman April 11, 2018.

It took three years and multiple operations, but in 1944 30 RAF Lancaster bombers armed with Tallboy earthquake bombs finally sunk the Tirpitz. The ship took two-three bombs, suffered internal explosions and soon capsized. After the war, a Norwegian-German salvage operation found the remains.

How the Nazis' Largest Battleship Is Still Affecting Norway Today.
Decades after it sunk, the battleship Tirpitz is still stunting the environment.

The scars of World War II are still visible today. A new study out looks at how Nazis warped Norwegian trees with poisonous gas to mask one of the largest battleships built for the conflict.

Launched in 1939, the Tirpitz was one of two Bismarck-class battleships built by the Nazi Kriegsmarine shortly before World War II began. Like many of the Nazis military projects, Bismarck-class ships were built to intimidate. With an overall length of 823 feet (251 meters), over 2,000 Nazi sailors, a main battery of 8 15-inch guns in 4 twin turrets and enough space to carry four planes, the ship was hard to miss.

Launched into the war in 1941, Kriegsmarine Grand Admiral Erich Raeder decided that it be sent to Norway, which had been successfully occupied by the Nazis the previous year. The Tirpitz was sent to act as a "fleet in being," a singular force that is so powerful it can influence enemies by its mere presence.

The goals of the Tirpitz was to prevent an Allied invasion, disrupt British and Soviet supply lines, and keep Allied forces preoccupied with its possible location. But the challenge of hiding the massive ship in Norway's fjords was a difficult one, compounded by a persistent Norwegian resistance movement transmitting information about the Tirpitz whenever they could. The ship's crew would chop down trees and place them aboard the Tirpitz to try to camouflage it and then, as discussed in a new German-American-Norwegian study, released chlorosulphuric acid to create an artificial fog to further mask its location.

Claudia Hartl, from the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany, was studying the growth of pine tress near Alta in western Norway when she noticed something odd: The older trees had no growth rings. Rings can be hindered by severe cold or insects, but Hartl knew of no natural force that could halt a tree's growth outright. Looking at the war records, Hartl's trees line up with the Tripitz's locations.

"We think this artificial smoke damaged the needles on the trees," Dr. Hartl tells the BBC. "One of the trees found had no growth for 9 years. Afterwards, it recovered but it took 30 years to get back to normal growth. It's still there; it's still alive, and it's a very impressive tree," Dr Hartl says.

It took three years and multiple operations, but in 1944 30 RAF Lancaster bombers armed with Tallboy earthquake bombs finally sunk the Tirpitz. The ship took two bombs, suffered internal explosions and soon capsized. After the war, a Norwegian-German salvage operation found the remains. Parts of its metal are still sold today in knives.

But while the Tirpitz is long gone, the environmental damage remains. Dr. Hartl believes the environmental damage wrought by the war is still being discovered.

"I think it's really interesting that the effects of one engagement are still evident in the forests of northern Norway more than 70 years later. In other places in Europe, they also used this artificial smoke and may be also other chemicals. So perhaps you can find similar patterns and effects from World War II," she tells the BBC.

The war has made itself felt in other ways in recent years, like when a woman relaxing by the Elbe last year accidentally picked up some white phosphorus.
Dan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I just ran across this looking for something else, excellent write-up, Dan. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Just stumbled upon this video-

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 am Just stumbled upon this video-

Thanks for posting ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thanks redrider.
I also posted the Battleship "Tirpitz" sinking in the below topic, with a full interesting explanation of the mission.

viewtopic.php?p=938280#p791948

Dan
Dan

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”