Challenge-Utica Connection?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Challenge-Utica Connection?

Post by knifeaholic »

At various times over my many years of looking at countless thousands of knives, I have picked up a knife with the CHALLENGE CUTLERY BRIDGEPORT CONN tang stamp and based on the appearance of the knife (pattern, blade grinds, pulls, etc) believed it to be a knife made by Utica. These would all be pre-WWII era knives of course.

I often wondered whether Challenge did indeed contract Utica to make some knives for them.

This may be proven, as I recently picked up a lot of Utica Cutlery paper items (came from a print shop in upstate NY).

Included was an uncut original "onion skin" sheet of knife wrappers. About half are Utica and half Challenge.

I'm guessing that Utica handled both the manufacture of the knives for Challenge and supplying the wrappers and wrapping the knives.
Attachments
IMG_9132.JPG
IMG_9133.JPG
IMG_9134.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: Challenge-Utica Connection?

Post by XX Case XX »

Very cool. Those remind me of the older Case wrappings. Interesting how, if you dig deep enough, you find that companies you thought were separate from one another actually combined resources at some point in the past.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

David Clark has the original Schatt & Morgan records that includes a book of the knives they made.In it were orders filled for themselves, hardware brands and other jobbers,and several different manufacturers.
Roger
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That is a really cool find. Most people don’t know it but Napanoch had a paper manufacturing industry that made that type of paper. I would bet it was made there. I’ve fond some info recently that shows some knives were packaged in individual envelopes made out of similar type of paper. Here is a pick. I think it explains why I can not find packageing for the knives I collect.
648A1E78-C47F-4336-9793-406240AE534C.jpeg
Mike, it’s interesting that you mention Case here. When Case Bro’s went out of business Challenge was one of the companies they owed money to. Kind of illustrates how all these manufactures were working together on some level.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”