THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:11 am Good.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving very recently, this advertising pocket knife became the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade (broken? & reshaped), all metal, single tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my first, "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "AMERICAN METALLIC PACKING Cᴏ̲ - N.S. PITTSBURGH, PA." and the other handle side says "METALLIC PACKING - FOR STEAM, AIR & GAS" I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is. The last two pictures are of the American Metallic Packing Company building and an overview of the property.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

***** TRIVIA *****
Information on this company is SCARCE! I'll post what I can find when I find it.
The last two pictures are of the American Metallic Packing Company building
and an overview of the property.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The American Metallic Packing Company Building.
The American Metallic Packing Company Building.
The Property Overview.
The Property Overview.

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:00 pm Arriving very recently, this advertising pocket knife became the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade (broken? & reshaped), all metal, single tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my first, "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "AMERICAN METALLIC PACKING Cᴏ̲ - N.S. PITTSBURGH, PA." and the other handle side says "METALLIC PACKING - FOR STEAM, AIR & GAS" I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is. The last two pictures are of the American Metallic Packing Company building and an overview of the property.

***** TRIVIA *****
Information on this company is SCARCE! I'll post what I can find when I find it.
The last two pictures are of the American Metallic Packing Company building
and an overview of the property.
Looks great Skip. Another nice addition to your W & H CO group.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:01 am Looks.....
Thank you, Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Retrieved from the post office yesterday afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, single tang stamp, 3" closed, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my second, "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, in this particular pattern, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "GEO. B. CARPENTER & CO. - 440 N. WELLS ST. - CHICAGO" The other handle side says nothing. Cleaning wasn't needed. I took some pictures, here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
Click on the following link if you would like to
know more about this VERY interesting company.
https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/sin ... carpenter/
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:45 pm Retrieved from the post office yesterday afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, single tang stamp, 3" closed, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my second, "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, in this particular pattern, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "GEO. B. CARPENTER & CO. - 440 N. WELLS ST. - CHICAGO" The other handle side says nothing. Cleaning wasn't needed. I took some pictures, here it is.
That is a good looking W & H fob knife Skip. Looks great. What is the size of it. Is it large enough that the ring end might also double as a bottle opener?

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:31 am That.....
Thank you, Smitty.🍻
It measures 3" closed and 5" open.
I can't see it being used as a cap lifter, a bottle opener or
any other kind of tool. The "opening" is too small.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving yesterday afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the most recent addition to my collection and to this topic or thread. It is a "THE W & H CO - NEWARK, N.J.", two blades, two tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, pocket knife. The main handle side says "THE LINCOLN NATIONAL BANK OF AVELLA - 1905 1925" and the other handle side says "THE BANK OF REAL SERVICE" The tang stamps on this particular pocket knife are the curved or arched lettering style tang stamps. They are the tang stamps WITHOUT the "USA" in the center. The main blade tang stamp is basically nonexistent. I can barely make out the E & W in NEWARK and that is with a good magnifying glass. The secondary blade tang stamp is much better but is faint. This is the eighth pocket knife of this pattern or style that I've obtained. It is the first pocket knife of this pattern or style that advertises this particular company or business. It is only the third pocket knife of this pattern or style with "THE W & H CO - NEWARK, N.J. tang stamp. The other seven pocket knives of this particular pattern or style have all been previously posted throughout this topic or thread. Going by my previously posted findings, there is a VERY GOOD chance that this pocket knife was manufactured by one or more of the following cutlery companies: MERIDEN, L.F. & C. (Landers, Frary & Clark) or ROBESON. This little piece of history has definitely seen some use. I think that it gives the pocket knife some character. Overall, it's in FAIR+ condition. It did need some cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
Here is a VERY brief "history" of THE LINCOLN NATIONAL BANK OF AVELLA.
It is from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and I edited it for content.
There is more information with a Google search.

"In its heyday in the early 20th century, the Lincoln National Bank was a bold presence in Avella, taking in more than $1.75 million in deposits, and bustling with eight tellers and bank officers, surrounded by luxurious offices made of marble, brass and exotic hardwoods. But it didn't last. The small coal town was hit hard by the Depression, and by 1934, could no longer sustain the enormous neo-classical brick and granite edifice with its towering Corinthian columns. Incredibly, the structure has been abandoned ever since, except for brief use to display furniture and as a water company office after World War II. With a little cooperation and compromise, some townspeople are hoping to restore the bank to its former glory, sparking what they hope will be a new attitude and energy in a town that has seen tough times. They envision the bank as once again the centerpiece of the town, and a keystone in a larger development effort."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.<br />I Can Barely Make Out The E &amp; W (NEWARK) <br />With A Good Magnifying Glass.
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.
I Can Barely Make Out The E & W (NEWARK)
With A Good Magnifying Glass.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.<br />Faint, But Much Better.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.
Faint, But Much Better.

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:00 pm Arriving yesterday afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the most recent addition to my collection and to this topic or thread. It is a "THE W & H CO - NEWARK, N.J.", two blades, two tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, pocket knife. The main handle side says "THE LINCOLN NATIONAL BANK OF AVELLA - 1905 1925" and the other handle side says "THE BANK OF REAL SERVICE" ......
Nice find Skip ::tu:: ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:16 pm Nice.....
Thank you, Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today, my morning trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It became the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first, "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says "THE RAILROAD - OF COURTESY" and the other handle side says COTTON BELT ROUTE. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
THERE IS PLENTY OF INFORMATION ON THE "COTTON BELT ROUTE" WITH A GOOGLE SEARCH.
Per Wikipedia.....
"The St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company (reporting mark SSW), known by its nickname of "The Cotton Belt Route" or simply "Cotton Belt", is a former Class I railroad that operated between St. Louis, Missouri, and various points in the U.S. states of Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Texas from 1891 to 1980, when the system added the Rock Island's Golden State Route and operations in Kansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. The Cotton Belt operated as a Southern Pacific subsidiary from 1932 until 1992, when its operation was assumed by Southern Pacific Transportation Company. The Cotton Belt was part of the railroad empire acquired by financier Jay Gould in the last quarter of the 19th century. "By 1890 Gould owned the Missouri Pacific, the Texas and Pacific, the St. Louis Southwestern, and the International-Great Northern, one-half of the mileage in the Southwest", the Handbook of Texas wrote. The railroad was organized on January 15, 1891, although it had its origins in a series of short lines founded in Tyler, Texas, in 1870 that connected northeastern Texas to Arkansas and southeastern Missouri. Construction of the original Tyler Tap Railroad began in the summer of 1875. On October 18, 1903, the Cotton Belt gained trackage rights over the Missouri Pacific Railroad along the eastern shore of the Mississippi River to reach East St. Louis, Illinois, and then used Terminal Railroad Association trackage rights into St. Louis. The Cotton Belt operated a freight station in downtown St. Louis, but its main base of operations in the area was its yard and a locomotive servicing facility in East St. Louis, just east of Valley Junction, and south of Alton and Southern Railroad's Gateway Yard, and north of Kansas City Southern's East St. Louis Yard. Union Pacific Railroad now operates Cotton Belt Yard, although the engine servicing facilities have been demolished. The Cotton Belt and its subsidiary St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas operated 1,607 miles of road in 1945; 1,555 miles in 1965; and 2,115 miles in 1981 after taking over the Rock Island's Golden State Route. In 1925, SSW and SSW of Texas reported a total of 1,474 million net ton-miles of revenue freight and 75 million passenger-miles; in 1970 it carried 8,650 million ton-miles and no passengers. The Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) assumed control of the SSW on April 14, 1932 and operated as a subsidiary of SP until 1992, when the Southern Pacific consolidated the Cotton Belt's operations into the parent company. Southern Pacific merged with Union Pacific Railroad in 1996. The Cotton Belt ran passenger trains from St. Louis to Texas and from Memphis to Dallas and Shreveport, Louisiana. Cotton Belt's Lone Star operated from Memphis Union Station to Dallas Union Terminal with a connecting section from Lewisville, Arkansas, to Shreveport. The Morning Star was the second named train over much of this route, operating out of St. Louis Union Station to Dallas, with a separate Memphis section inaugurated in 1941 to provide a convenient connection with the Southern Railway's Tennessean to and from Washington, D.C., and New York City. The Cotton Belt also operated passenger trains between Mt. Pleasant, Tyler and Waco, and a doodlebug between Tyler and Lufkin.The Cotton Belt began a series of passenger train cutbacks in the early 1950s. The railroad had 25 steam engines and four gas-electric motor cars available for passenger service in 1949. By late 1952 nine diesels had replaced the steam locomotives and motorcars and passenger train mileage had been trimmed considerably. The final operations in Texas involved overnight service between St. Louis and Dallas, with major intermediate stops in Jonesboro, Pine Bluff, Texarkana and Tyler. The Cotton Belt was one of the first Class 1 lines in the southwest to discontinue passenger service. The last Cotton Belt passenger train, #8, operated on November 30, 1959, from Pine Bluff, Arkansas, to East St. Louis, Illinois."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving very recently, this advertising pocket knife now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my second, "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The other "COTTON BELT ROUTE" pocket knife has been VERY recently posted (Saturday May 28, 2022) under this topic or thread. However, this pocket knife has different advertising or wording on the handles. The main handle side says COTTON BELT ROUTE - "THE RAILROAD OF COURTESY" and the other handle side says FINDER PLEASE RETURN TO - NEAREST COTTON BELT AGENT This pocket knife came with a stamped, "W.&H.CO." key ring ball chain. I can't prove that this key ring ball chain originally came with this pocket knife, nor can I prove that it didn't. This pocket knife needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last two pictures are of the key ring ball chain and the "W & H" stamp.

***** TRIVIA *****
There is PLENTY of information on the "Cotton Belt Route" with a Google search.
Or, see the Wikipedia information provided in my previous post, under this topic or thread, on Saturday, May 28.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Stamped, &quot;W.&amp;H.CO.&quot; Key Ring Ball Chain.
Stamped, "W.&H.CO." Key Ring Ball Chain.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my mail run to the post office produced this advertising fob or key ring style pocket knife and it now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), single tang stamp, all metal, advertising fob or key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is the second "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, that I have obtained, that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The other "FRED MEDART MFG. CO." pocket knife has been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main handle side says "FRED MEDART MFG. CO. - ST. LOUIS." The other handle side says nothing. It did require a little bit of cleaning.
I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of the letterhead for the company (also previously posted).
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

***** TRIVIA *****
There is PLENTY of information on the internet regarding this company.
Basically, this company manufactured gymnastic apparatus, playground apparatus, R.F.D. mail boxes, steel lockers, steel shelving, steel cabinets, locker benches, box lockers, book and stationery cabinets, game cabinets, indian club and dumb-bell cabinets, key cabinets and plinths.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I retrieved this from the post office yesterday afternoon. This advertising pocket knife now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is an "UNKNOWN", single blade, all metal, single tang stamp, 3" closed, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. The tang stamp reads "? - MFG. CO. - ST. LOUIS, MO." I now have a total of eight of these particular pattern or style, advertising pocket knives. ALL of them have been previously posted under this topic or thread. Four of them have "W & H" tang stamps. One has a "VOOS" tang stamp. One has a "ROBESON" tang stamp and including this one, I now have two with unknown, or at least partially unknown, tang stamps. I can't make out the first line on the tang stamp for this particular pocket knife. It is definitely NOT a "W & H" tang stamp. It is definitely NOT a "VOOS" tang stamp and it is definitely NOT a "ROBESON" tang stamp. So, another mystery guest has joined the party. This is my first fob or key ring style pocket knife, in this particular pattern or style, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "MARIETTA TORPEDO CO." The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. A very minor cleaning was required. I took some pictures and here it is. The last five pictures are of some various "items" that pertain to this business or company. They are posted in order by date.

***** TRIVIA *****
Per Wikipedia.....
"A torpedo is an explosive device used, especially in the early days of the petroleum industry, to fracture the surrounding rock at the bottom of an oil well to stimulate the flow of oil and to remove built-up paraffin wax that would restrict the flow. Earlier torpedoes used gunpowder, but the use of nitroglycerin eventually became widespread. The development of hydraulic fracturing rendered torpedoes obsolete, and is the primary fracturing process used today. A torpedo consisted of canisters that were filled with an explosive and lowered into a well via a rope or wire. Gunpowder was used in the first torpedoes, but nitroglycerin was found to work better despite its instability. The well is usually filled with water to prevent the explosion from escaping upwards. Originally, the topmost canister had a percussion cap that was to detonate the main charge. An iron weight was dropped down the well to set the torpedo off. After incidents of premature explosions, a second method was developed in which a tube of the explosive was placed in a larger tube that was packed with sand. A fuse was wound around the inner tube, connected to a blasting cap. When the torpedo was to be used, the inner tube was filled with nitroglycerin and corked; the fuse was lit and torpedo was dropped down the well. Torpedoes were generally used to remove buildup of paraffin wax from an oil well. Before the use of torpedoes caught on, boiling water or benzene was often poured down wells to try to dissolve the paraffin. Torpedoes were also used to fracture the rock to allow the oil to flow more easily. Edward A. L. Roberts developed the first torpedo and submitted a patent application in November 1864. Roberts, an American Civil War veteran, came up with the concept of using water to "tamp" the resulting explosion, after watching Confederate artillery rounds explode in a canal at the Battle of Fredericksburg. Roberts developed his first torpedoes in 1865 and 1866. In November 1866 he was granted a patent on his torpedo application, and founded the Roberts Petroleum Torpedo Company. William Reed also developed a torpedo design and went on to found a rival company "for the purpose of infringing and breaking down the Roberts patent. Roberts charged $100–200 per torpedo as well as a royalty amounting to 1⁄15 of the increased oil production. To avoid paying the exorbitant fees, an owner of a well would often hire men who illegally produced their own torpedoes and used them at night, the practice giving rise to term "moonlighting." Roberts spent $250,000 to protect his patent from the "moonlighters" by hiring the Pinkerton National Detective Agency and filing numerous lawsuits. Roberts' torpedo patents expired in 1879. Torpedoes manufactured today use modern explosives, with the last nitroglycerin torpedo being used on May 5, 1990."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Partial Tang Stamp.<br />? (over) MFG. CO. (over) ST. LOUIS, MO.
Partial Tang Stamp.
? (over) MFG. CO. (over) ST. LOUIS, MO.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

My purpose for starting this topic or thread, was to try and determine which cutlery companies made, or at the very least, had a hand in the manufacturing of pocket knives for the Whitehead & Hoag Company. Very recently, I added this advertising pocket knife to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - NEWARK NJ", single blade, single tool "blade" with a cap lifter or bottle opener, three tang stamps, 3 7/16" closed, all metal, pocket knife. The main handle side says "NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF - MASTER BAKERS - SEPT. 1912" It also has a "NAMB" logo and a "flag" symbol. The other handle side says "LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY" in a banner and also has other graphics. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched type or style and reads "THE W & H CO - NEWARK N.J." It does NOT have the "USA" in the middle. The front tang stamp on the tool "blade" with opener says "PATENTED - MAY 18, 1909" The back tang stamp says "THE - W. & H. CO." So, did the VALLEY FORGE CUTLERY COMPANY actually manufacture this pocket knife? Or, at the very least, did it have a hand in the manufacturing process of this particular pocket knife? I DO believe that this pocket knife, along with some other evidence that I've gathered, provides at least 99.999% positive proof, that VALLEY FORGE CUTLERY COMPANY either directly made or had a hand in the making of this particular pocket knife for the Whitehead & Hoag Company. Besides this pocket knife, my other pieces of evidence are an ad from a 1912 Whitehead & Hoag catalog that features a pocket knife that is ALMOST IDENTICAL, I emphasize ALMOST, to this particular pocket knife and ALMOST IDENTICAL to my previously posted VALLEY FORGE pocket knife. The VALLEY FORGE pocket knife was posted, under this topic or thread, on Tuesday, August 10, 2021. It is ALMOST IDENTICAL as far as the handle shape, the main blade style and the tool "blade" with a cap lifter or bottle opener are concerned. Obviously, the handle advertising or wording, the graphics and the tang stamps are different. Although the three tang stamps have different "wording" on both pocket knives (except for the patent date tang stamp), the locations of the three tang stamps are the same on both pocket knives. The tool "blade" has been reshaped and is now shorter. The cap lifter or bottle opener has seen some use also. Overall, this pocket knife is in VERY GOOD condition. It will be 110 years old in September. It needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures, here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding pictures.

***** Here is the most recent, up to date list, of the cutlery companies that possibly made,
or possibly had a hand in the manufacturing of, pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag. *****

H. BOKER (U.S.A.) - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
L. F. & C. - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
MERIDEN - Slight Chance Of Involvement.
REMINGTON UMC - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
ROBESON - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
E. C. SIMMONS KEEN KUTTER - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
VALLEY FORGE - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
VOOS - 99.999% sure of Involvement.

***** Here Is The Link To The VALLEY FORGE CUTLERY COMPANY Pocket Knife. *****
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 00#p940930
The Knife Was Posted Under This Topic Or Thread On Tuesday, August 10, 2021.

***** TRIVIA *****
Picture #7 is from a September 1912 magazine or periodical called "THE NATIONAL BAKER."
The picture is of the header of a VERY, VERY long article regarding the 1912 "NAMB" convention.
Also pictured is what appears to be a delegate badge from the 1912 "NAMB" convention.
I am curious about which company made the delegate badge. (Whitehead & Hoag perhaps?)
Attachments
Picture #1.
Picture #1.
Picture #2.
Picture #2.
Picture #3.
Picture #3.
Picture #4.
Picture #4.
Picture #5.
Picture #5.
Picture #6.<br />Top-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.<br />Middle-The Tool &quot;Blade&quot; Front Tang Stamp.<br />Bottom-The Tool &quot;Blade&quot; Back Tang Stamp.
Picture #6.
Top-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Middle-The Tool "Blade" Front Tang Stamp.
Bottom-The Tool "Blade" Back Tang Stamp.
Picture #7.<br />The Header Of A VERY, VERY Long Article Regarding <br />The 1912 &quot;NAMB&quot; Convention.<br />Also Pictured Is What Appears To Be A Delegate Badge From <br />The 1912 &quot;NAMB&quot; Convention.
Picture #7.
The Header Of A VERY, VERY Long Article Regarding
The 1912 "NAMB" Convention.
Also Pictured Is What Appears To Be A Delegate Badge From
The 1912 "NAMB" Convention.
Picture #8.<br />The &quot;W &amp; H&quot; And &quot;VALLEY FORGE&quot; <br />Pocket Knives For Comparison.
Picture #8.
The "W & H" And "VALLEY FORGE"
Pocket Knives For Comparison.
Picture #9.<br />The &quot;W &amp; H&quot; And &quot;VALLEY FORGE&quot; <br />Pocket Knives For Comparison.
Picture #9.
The "W & H" And "VALLEY FORGE"
Pocket Knives For Comparison.
Picture #10.<br />An Ad From A 1912 Whitehead &amp; Hoag Catalog.
Picture #10.
An Ad From A 1912 Whitehead & Hoag Catalog.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This past Thursday afternoon, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It has now become the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, single tang stamp, 3" closed, fob or key ring style, pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. It also has "PAT'D 10-29-12" at the base of the loop or ring. This is my ninth advertising, fob or key ring style pocket knife with this handle style or shape. The other eight have ALL been previously posted under this topic or thread. This is my third, "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife, with this distinctive shape, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. But, this is my first "GEO. B. CARPENTER" pocket knife with wording on both handle sides. The main handle side says, "GEO. B. CARPENTER & CO. - 440 N. WELLS ST. - CHICAGO" The other handle side says "CORDAGE, COTTON DUCK - AWNING STRIPES & HARDWARE - MARINE SUPPLIES"
I cleaned it up a little. I took some pictures and here it is.

Here is, in alphabetical order, the updated list of states that are represented by most,
but not all, of the advertising on these "W & H" pocket knives (as of this posting).
Also, there are two, Canadian cities represented (as of this posting).
These are MY posted pocket knives that ONLY have the "W & H" tang stamp(s).

1. California
2. Illinois
3. Indiana
4. Kentucky
5. Maine
6. Massachusetts
7. Michigan
8. Minnesota
9. Missouri
10. New Hampshire
11. New Jersey
12. New York
13. Ohio
14. Pennsylvania
15. Washington
16. West Virginia
17. Montreal, Canada
18. Winnipeg, Canada

***** TRIVIA *****
Click on the following link if you would like to know more about this VERY interesting company.
https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/sin ... carpenter/
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving very recently, this advertising pocket knife now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first "W & H" fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife that advertises this particular event, company, business, product, etc. The main handle side says "SMITH PICNIC" and the other handle side says nothing, it is blank. This pocket knife needed no cleaning at all. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
I could NOT find any information or anything else at all regarding "SMITH PICNIC."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, coming home with me from the post office, this advertising pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and also to my collection. It is a "W & H", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (not including the loop or ring), single tang stamp, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style, pocket knife. The main side says "Old Master - COFFEE." The other side says "PAT. PEND." under the loop or ring. The main blade, front tang stamp, is the curved or arched style with the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my second "W & H" fob or key ring, pattern or style pocket knife, that is advertising this particular product, company, business or event. It is in EXCELLENT condition. It did NOT need any cleaning. I just wiped it off, took some pictures and here it is.

***** Trivia *****
The last five pictures are of some items associated with "Old Master Coffee."
The Items Are NOT Mine. The Pictures Are NOT Mine. They Are Edited For Size Only And Posted For Reference.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

All nice knives shown here Skip! :D
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Miller Bro's wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:17 pm All.....
Thank you, Dimitri.🍻

Skip
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Very much in need of cleaning but, Whitehead and Hoag, nonetheless..
Attachments
Picsart_22-07-26_02-50-56-996.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

michaelspayth wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:23 am Very.....
Something looks "odd" with that blade and that body.
It is definitely a "W & H" blade. But, that body.....?
I am just going by what I can see.
Can you post more pictures?

Skip
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Here's One at least that shows the full handle. Can take more as soon as I get home
Attachments
Picsart_22-07-26_02-51-29-021.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

michaelspayth wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:35 pm Here's.....
Yes, the "body" of the pocket knife looks legitimate.
The "PATENTED", above the loop or ring, is in the correct location on the handle.
The absence of any "advertising", at least on this handle side, has me at a bit of a loss.
Yes, it could be worn off. But.....? I would like to see the other handle side, when convenient.
So far, yes, it DOES appear to be a legitimate "W & H" pocket knife.
Of course, if you want to sell it, just PM me. I am definitely NOT a cheapskate.

Skip
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Here's a few more pictures...
Attachments
Picsart_22-08-03_14-07-27-714.jpg
Picsart_22-08-03_14-08-11-482.jpg
Picsart_22-08-03_14-08-53-733.jpg
Picsart_22-08-03_14-09-29-413.jpg
Picsart_22-08-03_14-10-48-008.jpg
Picsart_22-08-03_14-11-41-726.jpg
Picsart_22-08-03_14-12-50-685.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”