THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I deleted my previous post regarding the VERY recently posted "blank" W & H pocket knife.
I deleted the post because the owner, michaelspayth, sold the pocket knife to me. I did not
and I do not want to post the information about this particular pocket knife, more than once.
When I receive it, I'll post it.

***** A VERY, VERY, Special THANK YOU Goes Out To michaelspayth For Selling This Pocket Knife To Me! *****
THANK YOU!
::handshake::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my trip to the post office produced this pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop or ring), one tang stamp, all metal, fob or key ring style, advertising pocket knife. The main handle side says "San Marto - COFFEE." The other handle side only says "PAT. PEND." above the blade pivot pin. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style, WITH the "USA" in the center of the stamp. The main blade front tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" (obscured). This is my second "W & H", fob or key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular product, business, company, event, etc. My other "San Marto Coffee" pocket knife was previously posted, under this topic or thread, on November 2, 2021. This pocket knife needed a little cleaning. I cleaned what I could, I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE (Not picture #7).

***** Trivia *****
The last four pictures are of some items associated with "San Marto Coffee."
The Items Are NOT Mine. The Pictures Are NOT Mine. They Are Edited For Size
Only And Are Posted As Reference Material Only.
The Blodgett and Beckley Comany is also associated with "Old Master Coffee."
My only two, so far, "Old Master Coffee" advertising pocket knives, were both
previously posted under this topic or thread. The first one was posted, by me,
on November 5, 2021 and the second one was posted, by me, on July 28, 2022.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.<br />&quot;THE W &amp; H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, NJ&quot;
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
"THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, NJ"
San Marto Coffee Can.<br />Joan Of Arc Is The Figure On The Horse.
San Marto Coffee Can.
Joan Of Arc Is The Figure On The Horse.
San Marto Coffee Advertising Pin.
San Marto Coffee Advertising Pin.
image.jpeg (42.53 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
San Marto Coffee Advertising Mask.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Whitehead & Hoag.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this pocket knife. It became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades, one spring, 3 5/16" closed, two tang stamps, advertising pocket knife. The main handle side says, "EX-LAX - A FRIEND IN NEED" (with an image of a tin or container). The other handle side says, "EX-LAX - GIVES THE DRUGGIST A LIVING PROFIT" There is a tang stamp on the front of the main blade. There is a tang stamp on the front of the secondary blade. The two tang stamps on this particular pocket knife are the curved or arched style tang stamps. There is NO "USA" in the middle of either tang stamp. The tang stamps both say "THE W.& H.CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." This is my fourth "W & H" pocket knife, in this particular pattern or style that I have obtained, that advertises this particular product. This "EX-LAX" pocket knife is different from my other three "EX-LAX" pocket knives, as far as the handles are concerned. My other three "EX-LAX" pocket knives have ALL been previously posted under this topic or thread. Of the four "EX-LAX" pocket knives that I have, so far, this "EX-LAX" pocket knife is the nicest or cleanest example. My first "EX-LAX" pocket knife was posted on Saturday, September 4, 2021. My second and third "EX-LAX" pocket knives, bought as one lot, were posted on Friday, October 29, 2021. Overall, this pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. This pocket knife needed absolutely NO cleaning at all. I just wiped it off, took some pictures and here it is. The last picture shows my other three "EX-LAX" pocket knives.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

***** TRIVIA *****
The following article is from a site called "brownstoner.com" It was written and or submitted by
Suzanne Spellen (aka Montrose Morris). It was written and or submitted on Jun 13, 2011 at 03:30 pm.

"The story: The great fortunes made throughout history have very often been made by those who saw a need and made a product to address that need, in this case, regularity. So too, was the case in the history of Ex-Lax. Here in NY, a Hungarian-born pharmacist, Max Kiss, invented the little pills in 1906, trying different recipes that would make his over-the-counter laxative palatable. He finally tried chocolate, and a product was born. He named it “Ex-Lax” short for “Excellent Laxative”. Mr. Kiss got funding from another immigrant, a successful Lithuanian-born drug wholesaler named Israel Katz. Both men recognized that the success of their product lay not only in its efficiency, but also in its taste. Chocolate was the perfect choice, popular with adults and children alike. They opened a factory in Brooklyn in 1906 and began producing. In 1925, the Ex-Lax Company built a new factory and headquarters on Atlantic Avenue, incorporating adjacent buildings. By 1926, Ex-Lax was the most popular over the counter laxative in the United States.
The space they took on Atlantic Avenue was next to the former Herman Themig Bottling plant. Themig was a very successful wholesale and retail beer merchant who ran a bottling plant for the Anheuser-Busch company, bottling the barrels of Budweiser that were shipped to him from St. Louis, as well as other beers. He also sold beer from his store on the corner of Atlantic and Smith Street, where American Apparel is today. He died in 1892, and the plant continued to operate under the August Busch Company between 1893 and 1903. Like many of the buildings in the brewery business, the bottling plant may have been designed by German-American architect Theobald Engelhardt, but I was unable to find a record. They look like his style.
Ex-Lax’s little chocolate pills in their distinctive tins were manufactured here for many years. They changed their marketing strategy, not their pills, over the years to account for the tastes of the public, and realized a fortune in America’s desire to stay regular. They only made one mistake by once offering a fig-flavored Ex-Lax liquid. It did not do well at all. In 1981, the company was sold to Sandoz Pharmaceutical, and today Ex-Lax is still manufactured by Novartis. Israel Matz served as company president for 42 years, until his death at 81, in 1950. Max Kiss lived even longer, as chairman and treasurer, dying in 1967 at the age of 84.
In 1981, the Ex-Lax Buildings became one of Brooklyn’s first factory conversions, and 57 co-op units were created. A great adaptive re-use of a complex that is an interesting part of American culture and Brooklyn History."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.
My Other Three &quot;EX-LAX&quot; Pocket Knives.
My Other Three "EX-LAX" Pocket Knives.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising fob or key ring, pattern or style, pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style, pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "The W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, N.J." This is my first "W & H" advertising pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that has NO advertising on it. The main handle side is blank, EXCEPT for "PATENTED" and the other handle side is blank. I am 100% positive that this pocket knife IS an actual, COMPLETE, "W & H" pocket knife and NOT just a "W & H" blade. However, I am guessing that sometime in the history of this pocket knife, a previous owner decided to remove all of the advertising or whatever else was on the handle side(s). Remove it all, EXCEPT for the "PATENTED." I find it VERY hard to believe that Whitehead & Hoag, an advertising company, would place an order for advertising pocket knives that had NO advertising on them. I am 99.999% positive, that this pocket knife did NOT leave the factory like this. I cleaned the blade up a bit, I took some pictures and here it is.

***** Again, A VERY, VERY, Special THANK YOU Goes Out To michaelspayth For Selling This Pocket Knife To Me! *****
THANK YOU! 🍻 ::handshake::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It has now become the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "W & H", single blade, single tang stamp, 3" closed, all metal, advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style, pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "The W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, N.J." The main handle side is blank and the other handle side is blank. Overall, this is my tenth advertising, fob or key ring style pocket knife, that has this handle style or shape. However, it is only my sixth advertising fob or key ring, pattern or style pocket knife, with this handle style or shape, that has a "W & H" tang stamp. ALL of the other nine advertising pocket knives, in this handle style or shape, have been previously posted under this topic or thread. Overall, this is my second "W & H", fob or key ring, advertising pocket knife, that has NO advertising on it. But this is my first, "W & H" fob or key ring, with this pattern or style of handle, advertising pocket knife, that has NO advertising on it. I am 100% positive that this pocket knife IS an actual, COMPLETE, "W & H" pocket knife and NOT just a "W & H" blade. But I'm guessing that sometime in the history of this pocket knife, a previous owner decided to remove all of the advertising or whatever else was on the handle side(s). I find it VERY hard to believe that Whitehead & Hoag, an advertising company, would place an order for advertising pocket knives that had NO advertising on them. I am 99.999% positive, that this pocket knife did NOT leave the factory like this.
I cleaned the blade, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving very recently, this advertising pocket knife becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first "W & H" fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife that advertises this particular organization, event, company, business, product, etc. The main handle side says "GRAND LODGE F. & A. M. - INDIANA" and the other handle side says "INDIANAPOLIS - MAY 24-25, 1927" This pocket knife came with a stamped, "W.&H.CO." key ring ball chain. I can't prove that this key ring ball chain originally came with this pocket knife, nor can I prove that it didn't.This pocket knife needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of the Indianapolis Masonic Temple at 525 N. Illinois Street.

***** TRIVIA *****
There Is PLENTY Of Information To Be Found With A Google Search.
The Following Article Is About The Grand Lodge Free And Accepted Masons Of Indiana.
It Is From The Indiana Freemasons Site.

"GRAND LODGE OF INDIANA"
"The Grand Lodge of Indiana Free & Accepted Masons (F&AM) was established on January 13, 1818 at the Schofield House in Madison, and is the governing body today for nearly 400 Masonic lodges throughout the state. There is no national or international administrative body for the worldwide Masonic fraternity. Most countries have a single grand lodge of their own, but in the United States, each state has a major grand lodge that oversees its jurisdiction.
In addition, most states share their jurisdiction by agreement with a second organization commonly referred to as a ‘Prince Hall Affiliated’ grand lodge. Indiana mutually recognizes the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Indiana, and our members freely share fraternal cooperation and inter-visitation.
Masonic lodges are operated independently in their local areas, but the Grand Lodge assists them with different programs and membership initiatives. Each lodge is part of creating the legislation that guides the operation of our fraternity.
The local lodges (sometimes referred to as the blue lodge, symbolic lodge or craft lodge) gather together at two required annual meetings of the Grand Lodge of Indiana. In January of every year, we meet for our annual Founders’ Day event. Founders’ Day is a celebration of Freemasonry and is an instructional, educational and fellowship meeting. The Annual Communication each May is the business meeting of the Grand Lodge of Indiana when legislation is proposed and voted upon, and when Grand Lodge officers are elected and installed.
The offices of the Grand Lodge of Indiana are located in downtown Indianapolis on the first floor of the Indianapolis Masonic Temple at 525 N. Illinois Street."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Key Ring Ball Chain.
Key Ring Ball Chain.
Marked W. &amp; H. CO.
Marked W. & H. CO.
The Indianapolis Masonic Temple, Located At 525 N. Illinois <br />Street. Where The Offices Of The Grand Lodge Of Indiana <br />Are Located. Obviously, the picture is NOT an old picture.
The Indianapolis Masonic Temple, Located At 525 N. Illinois
Street. Where The Offices Of The Grand Lodge Of Indiana
Are Located. Obviously, the picture is NOT an old picture.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first "W & H" fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife that advertises this particular company, event, organization, business, product, etc. The main handle side says "ANACONDA COPPER - MINING COMPANY-REFRACTORIES - ANACONDA, MONTANA" and the other handle side says "BRICK-TILE" This pocket knife needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of the ANACONDA COPPER MINING COMPANY, the Bonner plant, lumber department, in the 1920's.

Here is, in alphabetical order, the updated list of states that are represented by most,
but not all, of the advertising on these "W & H" pocket knives (as of this posting).
Also, there are two, Canadian cities represented (as of this posting).
These are MY posted pocket knives that ONLY have the "W & H" tang stamp(s).

1. California
2. Illinois
3. Indiana
4. Kentucky
5. Maine
6. Massachusetts
7. Michigan
8. Minnesota
9. Missouri
10. Montana
11. New Hampshire
12. New Jersey
13. New York
14. Ohio
15. Pennsylvania
16. Washington
17. West Virginia
18. Montreal, Canada
19. Winnipeg, Canada

***** TRIVIA *****
Per Wikipedia, here is a VERY brief history of the ANACONDA COPPER MINING COMPANY.
There is PLENTY of information and images to be found on the Internet.

"The Anaconda Copper Mining Company, part of the Amalgamated Copper Company from 1899 to 1915, was an American mining company. It was one of the largest trusts of the early 20th century and one of the largest mining companies in the world for much of the 20th century. Founded in 1881 when Marcus Daly bought a silver mine, the company expanded rapidly based on the discovery of huge copper deposits. Daly built a smelter in Anaconda to process copper mined in Butte. Daly sold his assets in 1899 to H H Rogers and William Rockefeller. By 1910, Amalgamated had expanded its operations and bought the assets of two other Montana copper companies. In 1922, Anaconda bought mining operations in Mexico and Chile; the latter was the largest mine in the world and yielded two-thirds of the company's profits. The company added aluminum reduction to its portfolio in 1955. In the 1950s, the company switched over from underground to open-pit mining. In 1960 its operations still had 37,000 employees in North America and Chile. It was purchased by the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO) on January 12, 1977. Anaconda halted production in 1980, and mining ceased completely in 1982 when the deep pumps keeping the mine drained were shut off, allowing the Berkeley Pit to fill. What remains is a massive Superfund site, with CERCLA liability for British Petroleum, who bought out ARCO."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The ANACONDA COPPER MINING COMPANY,<br />The Bonner Plant, Lumber Department, <br />In The 1920's.
The ANACONDA COPPER MINING COMPANY,
The Bonner Plant, Lumber Department,
In The 1920's.

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Wow Skip! You've been a busy bee! ::nod:: Great show! Especially like your newest Ex-Lax knife. Looks great! ::tu:: Congrats on all your recent additions! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:21 pm Wow.....
Thank you, Tom. 🍻
Like I've said before, it's feast or famine with these particular pocket knives.
At this time, I happen to be feasting. ::tu::
::handshake::

Skip
Timber417

Post by Timber417 »

Just receive this pocket knife and was wondering if anyone had any info about age or background on these knife.
Timber417
Attachments
40846CED-9F8E-49E1-973B-6632D7831BD9.jpeg
8E0A9687-8329-41C0-A8AE-253FF98D8D29.jpeg
8331697B-59F6-492A-BB98-1757B4504BE8.jpeg
70AD3BCD-945B-4269-83F0-B0D7E672A0C6.jpeg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Timber417 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 pm Just.....
VERY NICE "W & H" pocket knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
If you wish to sell it, PLEASE PM ME!!
I am definitely NOT a cheapskate.

Skip
Timber417

Post by Timber417 »

I do sell some knives.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Timber417 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 pm Just receive this pocket knife and was wondering if anyone had any info about age or background on these knife.
Timber417
I really like that knife, thanks for posting!
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It has now become the latest example to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 3" closed, all metal, advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style, pocket knife. The tang stamp says "The W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, NJ" The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. It also has "PAT'D 10-29-12" at the base of the loop or ring. This is my fourth, "W & H" fob or key ring style of pocket knife, in this particular handle pattern, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. This is my second "GEO. B. CARPENTER" pocket knife that has wording on both handle sides.The main handle side says, "GEO. B. CARPENTER & CO. - 440 N. WELLS ST. - CHICAGO" The other handle side says "CORDAGE, COTTON DUCK - AWNING STRIPES & HARDWARE - MARINE SUPPLIES" Overall, this is my eleventh advertising, fob or key ring style of pocket knife, that has this handle style or shape. However, it is only my seventh that has a "W & H" tang stamp. ALL of the other ten advertising pocket knives, with this handle style or shape, have been previously posted throughout this topic or thread. I gave it a minor cleaning.
I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
Click on the following link if you would like to
know more about this VERY interesting company.
https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/sin ... carpenter/
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:00 pm Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife.
Skip, I always enjoy seeing your new pickups in this category, always a learning experience. Each one is a peek into the past. ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 pm Skip.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades, two different tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade tang stamp is a two line, block style stamp. It says "THE (over) W. & H. CO." This is my second "W & H", two blades, advertising pocket knife that has two different "W & H" tang stamps. The main handle side says "HOOSIER" It also has a design that goes around the whole handle side. The other handle side says "GREETINGS - FORT WAYNE DRUG COMPANY - FORT WAYNE, INDIANA." and has the same design that goes around the whole handle side. I'm 99.999% sure that NONE of the previously mentioned cutlery companies that could be associated with Whitehead & Hoag, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife. If so, then what cutlery company or companies manufactured or had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife? The investigation and hunt continue! This pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. It did not require any cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture (#10) is of the heading on a FORT WAYNE DRUG COMPANY prescription. The next to last picture (#9) is of my other "W & H" pocket knife with two different tang stamps. I posted it on Saturday, October 2, 2021. Were these two pocket knives both made by the same cutlery company? Ignore the handle wording and graphics. Compare the blades on both knives. Compare the two different tang stamps on both blades, on both knives. Judge for yourself.

***** TRIVIA *****
Not much information or anything else to be found on this company.
All I could find is posted as the last picture (#10) below.
It is of the heading on a "FORT WAYNE DRUG COMPANY"
prescription and is dated November, 1900.
The picture is NOT mine. The item pictured is NOT mine.
It is posted as a reference only. It has only been edited for size.

***** A VERY, VERY, Special THANK YOU Goes Out To Timber417 For Selling This Pocket Knife To Me! *****
THANK YOU! 🍻 ::handshake::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My Other, Previously Posted, Two Different <br />Tang Stamps, &quot;W &amp; H&quot; Pocket Knife.
My Other, Previously Posted, Two Different
Tang Stamps, "W & H" Pocket Knife.
The Heading On A Fort Wayne Drug Company Prescription.<br />Dated November, 1900.
The Heading On A Fort Wayne Drug Company Prescription.
Dated November, 1900.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found this one with just a general Google search. It was no longer available. I am posting the following pocket knife to be used as a reference.This pocket knife is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures have NOT been edited, altered, or enhanced by me, except for size. It is a "W & H", two blades, two different "W & H" tang stamps, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade tang stamp is a two line, block style stamp. It says "THE (over) W. & H. CO." The main handle side says "THE CANTON - STAMPING & ENAMELING COMPANY - CANTON, OHIO, U.S.A." As there was no picture of the other handle side, I do NOT know what the other handle side says.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE (Not picture #3).

***** If the owner wishes to sell it, PLEASE PM ME. I am definitely NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first "W & H" fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife that advertises this particular company, event, organization, business, product, etc. The main handle side says "INSURE YOUR LIFE - AS WELL AS YOUR KEYS WITH THE - NORTHERN STATES LIFE INS. CO. - HAMMOND, IND." and the other handle side says "IF FOUND DROP IN THE NEAREST MAILBOX - 1614 - RETURN POSTAGE GUARANTEED" This pocket knife needed a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of a postcard showing THE NORTHERN STATES LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY, HOME OFFICE. I do NOT know what time period it represents.

***** TRIVIA *****
There is not much information on this company to be found.
I did find a postcard showing THE NORTHERN STATES LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY, HOME OFFICE.
It is the last picture posted below (#6). It is NOT my picture. It is NOT my postcard.
It is posted for reference only and edited for size only.
.....and per Wikipedia,
"Northern States Life Insurance Company is a historic office building located at Hammond, Lake County, Indiana. It was built in 1926, and is a two-story, Classical Revival style limestone building on a partially exposed basement. It features an elevated terrace, engaged columns, and sculptural panels with low relief carvings. The Northern States Life Insurance Company ceased operation in 1930, and the building subsequently housed radio station WWAE (1938-1940), a branch library (1945-1965), Purdue University extension service (1943-1946), Hammond school administrative offices (1946-1984), and school. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
HOME OFFICE,<br />NORTHERN STATES LIFE INSURANCE CO.,<br />HAMMOND, IND. ----38
HOME OFFICE,
NORTHERN STATES LIFE INSURANCE CO.,
HAMMOND, IND. ----38

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:45 pm Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection.
Way to go, Skip! I was hoping that you would end up with this knife, it is a great addition to your collection.

That Northern States Life knife ain't too shabby either. ::tu::
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:40 pm Way.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop or ring), one tang stamp, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" and is the curved or arched style of tang stamp WITH "USA" in the middle. The main handle side says "HESSE ENVELOPE AND LITHO. CO. - ST. LOUIS, MO." The other handle side says nothing. This is my second "W & H" fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, organization, event, business, product, etc. The first one was posted, by me, under this topic or thread, back on Tuesday, January 11, 2022. I cleaned it up a bit, I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture (#6) is of a couple of ads for "HESSE ENVELOPE AND LITHO CO." They are from the 1910 GOULD'S DIRECTORY and were already posted, by me, also back on Tuesday, January 11, 2022.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

***** TRIVIA *****
With just a basic Google search, I could not find much information or anything else regarding this company.
I did find a couple of ads, from the 1910 GOULD'S DIRECTORY, for the "HESSE ENVELOPE AND LITHO CO."
They are in the last picture posted below (#6). They have been previously posted as mentioned above.
.....and per "The History of Envelopes" - 1840-1900 by Maynard H. Benjamin.
Frank H. Hesse founded a printing company in 1888 in St. Louis, Missouri.
By 1897, he added envelope making equipment to his firm and formed the Hesse Envelope and Litho Company.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 1122 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades (one with file), two different tang stamps, 3 1/2" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade tang stamp is a two line, block style tang stamp. It says "THE (over) W. & H. CO." This is my third "W & H", two blades, advertising pocket knife that has two different "W & H" tang stamps. But this is my first, two blades, two different tang stamps, "W & H" pocket knife, that has a blade with a file. The main handle side says "NATIONAL POLE CO. - ESCANABA, MICH. - FROM THE STUMP TO THE LINE" with some very nice graphics (a railroad car filled with poles and set poles with lines strung). The other handle side says "NORTHERN AND WESTERN CEDAR POLES - PRINCIPAL YARDS CHICAGO, ST PAUL, DULUTH, - TOLEDO, SPOKANE AND EVERETT, WASH. - NATIONAL POLE CO. ESCANABA, MICH." This is my first, "W & H" pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, product, organization, event, business, etc. I am 99.999% sure that NONE of the previously mentioned cutlery companies that could be associated with Whitehead & Hoag, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife. If so, then what cutlery company or companies manufactured or had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife? The investigation and hunt continue! This pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. I cleaned it up just a little bit. I took some pictures and here it is. The very last picture (#10), is of an ad for NATIONAL POLE COMPANY, ESCANABA MICHIGAN, circa 1914.

***** TRIVIA *****
Not much of anything on this company with just a general Google search.
I did find an ad for NATIONAL POLE COMPANY, ESCANABA MICHIGAN, circa 1914.
It is the very last picture posted below (#10).
It is NOT my picture. It is NOT my item. It is posted for reference ONLY and has
ONLY been edited for size.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
National Pole Company Ad - Circa 1914.
National Pole Company Ad - Circa 1914.

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:30 pm This morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife.
Skip, that is one fine knife! I hadn't yet gotten around to commenting on the Hesse, which I like a lot (St L), and then I see this National Pole. I really like that one, should you ever decide to trade it.............. :mrgreen:
Ike

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”