THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
michaelspayth

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by michaelspayth »

Can't remember if I've posted this one yet or not. Seems to be one of the few knives by them that isn't an ad knife..
Attachments
0113211136~3.jpg
CM210113-114911001(1)~2.jpg
PicsArt_03-18-11.55.08~2.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

michaelspayth wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:19 am Can't.....
No, you haven't posted this "W & H" pocket knife before.
At least not under this topic or thread.
It's definitely a G@@D L👀KING, non-advertising "W & H" pocket knife.
If you ever decide you want to end your ownership of it, PLEASE PM ME! ($$)
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

That is unusual to see ::tu:: 8)
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This very recently acquired pocket knife, pictured below, provides yet another possible answer to, or creates, yet another question regarding the manufacturers of the pocket knives for The Whitehead & Hoag Company. This one is a "REMINGTON UMC - MADE IN U.S.A.", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 7/16" closed, all metal pocket knife. The tang stamp places it circa 1924-1933. The main side advertises "STAR BAKERY - BLACKWELL, OKLA." The other side says nothing. While I am NOT 100% sure, I am 99.999% sure that REMINGTON UMC made, or had a hand in the manufacturing of, pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag. This pocket knife needed very little cleaning. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is. The last four pictures are for comparison. Each knife is in the same position in each picture. IGNORE the actual advertising on the side(s) of each pocket knife and just focus on the actual pattern or style. While NOT IDENTICAL, there are similarities that can not be dismissed. However, I will let you weigh the evidence and make your own decision.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

***** EDIT *****
Due to the observations of Dimitri, a.k.a. Miller Bro's (in the next post), I am TEMPORARILY changing my position on the possibility of REMINGTON UMC being involved in the process of manufacturing pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag. The
blade might not be original to the handle, but that handle, in that style, was manufactured by a still unknown company.
I left my original description unedited. The investigation and the hunt continues.....

Dimitri.....
"Looks like the Remington blade was put in that frame.
The blade tang has been cut down and the kick removed, no choil either."

***** Here is the most recent, up to date list, of the cutlery companies that possibly made,
or possibly had a hand in the manufacturing of, pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag. *****

H. BOKER (U.S.A.) - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
L. F. & C. - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
MERIDEN - Slight Chance Of Involvement.
REMINGTON UMC - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
ROBESON - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
E. C. SIMMONS KEEN KUTTER - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
VALLEY FORGE - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Looks like the Remington blade was put in that frame.

The blade tang has been cut down and the kick removed, no choil either.
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Miller Bro's wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:02 am Looks.....
Dimitri, the blade was the first thing I noticed that was different about this pocket knife.
I just did not want to be so quick to dismiss it as being illegitimate.
But.....some cutlery company made that handle, in that style.
The investigation continues.....

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Here's yet another NICE example of another "POSSIBLE" role reversal. This is in regards to the question(s) posed by this topic or thread. The question is, what cutlery company or companies, made the pocket knives, or at the very least, had a hand in the process of manufacturing the pocket knives for the Whitehead & Hoag Company? This "POSSIBLE" role reversal is a Whitehead & Hoag product, made by Whitehead & Hoag, for a hardware company, but NOT for a cutlery manufacturer. In this case, for the SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE CO. - DIAMOND EDGE. This particular item happens to be a fob with a leather strap. It measures 5 1/8" long, including the strap. The fob itself measures 1 1/4" x 2" The manufacturer stamp is WHITEHEAD-HOAG - NEWARK, N.J. NOW, does this vaguely suggest that the SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE CO. - DIAMOND EDGE, may have somehow, somewhere along the line, been involved in procuring a cutlery company to manufacture pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag? Maybe, maybe not. But my hunt, my quest for answers continues and must now also include, the SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE CO. - DIAMOND EDGE.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Here is another NICE example of another "POSSIBLE" role reversal. This is in regards to the question(s) posed by this topic or thread. The question is, what cutlery company or companies, made the pocket knives, or at the very least, had a hand in the process of manufacturing the pocket knives for the Whitehead & Hoag Company? This "POSSIBLE" role reversal is a Whitehead & Hoag product, made by Whitehead & Hoag, for a hardware company, but NOT for a cutlery manufacturer. In this case, for the SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE CO. - DIAMOND EDGE. This particular item happens to be a fob with a leather strap. It measures 5" long, including the strap. The fob itself measures 1 1/4" x 2" This SHAPLEIGH fob is slightly different than the SHAPLEIGH fob that I previously posted under this topic or thread. The manufacturer stamp is WHITEHEAD-HOAG - NEWARK, N.J. NOW, does this vaguely suggest that the SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE CO. - DIAMOND EDGE, may have somehow, somewhere along the line, been involved in procuring a cutlery company to manufacture pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag? Maybe, maybe not. But my hunt, my quest for answers continues and must now also include, the SHAPLEIGH HARDWARE CO. - DIAMOND EDGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This arrived very recently and became the latest Whitehead & Hoag pocket knife to join this topic or thread and my collection. It is a "W & H", 2 blades, 2 tang stamps, 3" closed, pocket knife. The tang stamps are the curved or arched style tang stamps. There is no "USA" in the center of the stamps. This pocket knife does not have any advertising on it at all. The handles are quite colorful and festive. It got here in time to be my Christmas carry. This is the first "W & H" pocket knife that I've seen, anywhere, that looks like this. Could this possibly mean that yet another cutlery company was involved with the direct manufacturing of, or at least had a hand in the manufacturing of, pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag?!?!?! The plot thickens, the investigation continues and the hunt goes on. This pocket knife is in GREAT shape. It did not need any cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** A VERY special THANK YOU goes out to michaelspayth for selling me this pocket knife! *****
THANK YOU!
::handshake::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.

Skip
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Happy to be able to contribute to your impressive collection and am excited to follow this topic to see how this history of this company unfolds!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

michaelspayth wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:52 am Happy.....
......and what a contribution it is!
A truly unique "W & H" pocket knife and I thank you again! 🍻
I "should" be receiving two more "W & H" pocket knives fairly soon.
I'll post them when I get them. ::tu::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is NOT my first "W & H" fob/key ring pocket knife in this pattern or style. But, this is my first "W & H" fob/key ring pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "THE STARR PIANO CO. - 630 SOUTH HILL ST. - LOS ANGELES" The other side says "OWNER'S NUMBER REGISTERED - RETURN AND - RECEIVE REWARD - 670" It needed some very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this advertising pocket knife joined this topic or thread and also joined my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, fob style pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my fourth, "W & H" fob style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company. The other three have been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main handle side says, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. - NEWARK, N.J., U.S.A." The other side says nothing. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found this one just a little too late.::dang:: 😡
This advertising fob/key ring pocket knife is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures are the seller's and have NOT been edited, altered, or enhanced by me, EXCEPT for size. I am posting the following advertising pocket knife for posterity and as a reference. The tang stamp, if there is one, can't be seen. But, I am 99.999% sure that it has a "W & H" tang stamp. Probably the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. The main side says "COTTON BELT ROUTE - THE RAILROAD OF COURTESY." The other side appears to have something on it, but I can't make it out.

***** If the new owner wishes to part with it, PLEASE PM me. I am NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 2158 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I knew about this auction but I did not participate.
This advertising fob/key ring pocket knife is NOT mine. The first four pictures are NOT mine, they are the seller's. Editing was done by me for "clarity" and for size. I am posting the following advertising pocket knife for posterity and as a reference. The tang stamp can't be read. I contacted the seller and asked about the tang stamp.

ME: "Hi. Would you please tell me what it says on the base of the blade of the pocket knife that is in the top right corner of the group picture(s)? It is the "Taylor Pork Roll" pocket knife. Thank you and stay safe, Skip."

SELLER: "Dear Sir, the front tang of Taylor Pork Roll knife is stamped : FRANK KRAUS Germany. The reverse side of blade is also stamped : Solingen. The knife has been used Very little, if any. Thanks for asking!"

What caught my attention about this group of fob style pocket knives, is the pocket knife in the upper right hand corner of the group picture. It has similarities to a particular pattern of "W & H" fob style pocket knives that can't be ignored. Did the Whitehead & Hoag Company deal with a German cutlery company or companies? Did this "Germany" made pocket knife evolve from the U.S.A. made pocket knife? Or, did the U.S.A. made pocket knife evolve into the "Germany" made pocket knife? Of course, the similarities could just be a coincidence and there is NO connection at all. The first four pictures, the seller's, are of the group of fob style pocket knives and the "Germany" pocket knife itself. I apologize for the quality or rather, the lack of quality of these pictures (my editing). The last four pictures are of a "W & H" tang stamped, fob style pocket knife to use for comparison (my knife). Ignore the actual advertising on both pocket knives and look at the patterns or styles themselves. Obviously, if I had the "Germany" pocket knife in hand, the comparison would be much more thorough. Weigh the evidence, what little there is and decide for yourself. The investigation and hunt continues.....

***** I'm pretty sure that my knife is from the 1920's.
It appears that the "Germany" knife is from the 1950's. *****

***** Both handles, on the "Germany" knife, say the same
thing, "TAYLOR PORK ROLL - 100 Years - 1856-1956" *****

***** With just minimal research, it looks like FRANK KRAUS GERMANY was
known for making advertising pocket knives that are shaped like keys. *****

***** Pork Roll Per Wikipedia: *****
Pork roll is a processed meat commonly available in New Jersey and neighboring states. It was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Trenton, and sold as "Taylor's Prepared Ham" until 1906. Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as "pork roll" alongside its competitors. In regions of North and parts of Central Jersey, all brands of pork roll may or may not be referred to colloquially as "Taylor Ham".

While a similar item, packed minced ham, may have been produced in the later 1700s, John Taylor is credited with creating his secret recipe for the product in 1856. George Washington Case, a farmer and butcher from nearby Belle Mead, created his own recipe for pork roll in 1870. Case's was reportedly packaged in corn husks.

Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906. Marketed as both "Taylor's Pork Roll" and "Trenton Pork Roll", it saw competition from products with similar names like "Rolled Pork" and "Trenton style Pork Roll". Of particular note is the "Roll of Pork" produced by Adolph Gobel, the "Sausage King" of Brooklyn. Gobel was sued by Taylor in 1910, but the court ruled that the words "Pork Roll" and "Roll of Pork" could not be trademarked.

A century later, many in North Jersey (and parts of Central Jersey) continue to use the term "Taylor ham".

***** If the new owner wishes to part with it, PLEASE PM me. I am NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
In The Upper Right Corner - Look Slightly Familiar?
In The Upper Right Corner - Look Slightly Familiar?
Did This Evolve From The U.S.A. Version?
Did This Evolve Into The Germany Version?

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, this advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), one tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is the third fob/key ring style pocket knife, that I've obtained, that advertises this particular company. The main side says "BROWNING KING & CO." and has a logo. The other side is blank. The other two "BROWNING KING & CO." fob/key ring style pocket knives have been previously posted under this topic or thread. This one is not in the best condition. The body is fine, but the blade is a little rough and the spring is broken. I cleaned it up a little. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this advertising pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob/key ring pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "SEALERINE PRODUCTS CO. - DETROIT, MICH, U.S.A." The other side says nothing, it is blank. It needed some very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It's a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), one tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style with "USA" in the middle. This is the first "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife, that I've obtained, that advertises this particular company. The main side says "HESSE ENVELOPE AND LITHO. CO. - ST. LOUIS, MO." The other side is a blank space, it says nothing. I cleaned it up a bit, took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of two, "HESSE....." ads from "GOULD'S 1910 DIRECTORY."

Here are, in alphabetical order, the (updated) states that are represented by most,
but not all, of the advertising on these "W & H" pocket knives (as of this posting).
Also, there is one advertised foreign country (as of this posting).
These are MY posted pocket knives that ONLY have the "W & H" tang stamp(s).

1. California
2. Illinois
3. Indiana
4. Maine
5. Massachusetts
6. Michigan
7. Missouri
8. New Hampshire
9. New Jersey
10. New York
11. Ohio
12. Pennsylvania
13. Washington
14. West Virginia
15. Montreal, Canada
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 2041 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found the following advertising pocket knife with just a general Google search. While it apparently isn't stamped or marked with "W & H", I have no evidence to prove that it isn't a "W & H" or at the very least, a "W & H" related, advertising pocket knife. I have NEVER seen this blade style with this particular body style. It is very possible that the blade is a replacement and NOT original to the body. But, who knows for sure. Anyway, my investigation continues. I am posting the following for posterity and for future reference. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures belong to the seller. The pictures have NOT been altered, enhanced or edited (EXCEPT for size) by me. The following description belongs to the seller and ONLY the payment and shipping information have been edited out.

"Here is a very rare antique Anheuser-Busch pocket knife/opener/keychain with "Anheuser-Busch, Inc.", "Cabinets & Refrigerator Bodies" and the A-B eagle logo on the handle. This single-blade knife comes from the pre-prohibition era when A-B got into the business of building refrigerated boxes into which it could ship its beer. I've only ever seen two other knives like this one, and neither had the opener included in the blade. The blade opens and closes tightly. I haven't tried to use the opener, and the winning bidder will receive this item just as I found it, in great condition. The body is perhaps nickel, and the keychain (which appears to be original) looks to be brass. There is no date that I could see anywhere nor markings on the blade, but the "Pat. Pend." stamped on the back leads me to believe that it's the first of its generation — and thus very old."

***** TRIVIA *****
Prohibition, the Volstead Act, went into effect on January 17, 1920. It ended on December 5, 1933.

***** If the owner of this knife would like to sell it, PLEASE feel free to PM me. I am definitely NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found the following advertising pocket knife with just a general Google search. I am posting the following for posterity and for future reference. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures belong to the seller. The pictures have NOT been altered, enhanced or edited (EXCEPT for size) by me. The following description belongs to the seller and ONLY the payment and shipping information have been edited out.

"Up for bid is an old Anheuser Busch Inc. Pocket Knife. This is a single blade knife made by The W&H Co. in Newark NJ ( Whitehead & Hoag). It Measures 2 3/4 inches long closed and 4 1/2 open. The blade opens easy and does not stop at the top it goes all the way back. The blade does have a wiggle to it as well. The body of the knife is dirty and needs cleaned. I have not cleaned. It is just how we found it. All the writing is in good shape with none worn off. Thanks for looking and feel free to ask any questions."

***** If the owner wishes to sell this knife, PLEASE feel free to PM me. I'm definitely NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found the following advertising pocket knife with just a general Google search. I am posting the following for posterity and for future reference. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures belong to the seller. The pictures have NOT been altered, enhanced or edited (EXCEPT for size) by me. The following description belongs to the seller and ONLY the payment and shipping information have been edited out.

"Welcome To Our Auction For your consideration were offering an antique folding knife from Anheuser Busch Inc. Cabinets & Refrigerator Bodies, RETURN FOR REWARD #912 on backside. Tang stamped W&H (Whitehead & Hoag) Newark N.J. U.S.A. Knife is in very nice shape with a tiny bit of age present as to be expected. Blade has light scratches on it, but doesn't look to have ever been sharpened. Closes, snaps nice. Great patina on it telling you it is old."

***** The very last picture is just a random picture that I found. It is the only picture and it had no description or text associated with it. You can plainly see that it has a broken loop or ring. *****

***** If the owner wishes to sell this knife, PLEASE feel free to PM me. I'm definitely NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving yesterday afternoon, this advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), one tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is the first fob/key ring style pocket knife, that I've obtained, that advertises this particular company. The main side says "Anheuser Busch INC. - CABINETS & REFRIGERATOR BODIES" and has a logo. The other side says "RETURN FOR REWARD - ANHEUSER-BUSCH INC. - ST. LOUIS 935" I cleaned it a little, took some pictures and here it is.

***** This is NOT one of the four "W & H" Anheuser Busch Inc. advertising pocket knives that I posted VERY recently. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife, became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "S. B. ANEWALT & CO. - 8TH & HAMILTON STS. - ALLENTOWN-PA." The other side says nothing, it is blank. I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of an ad for the company.

***** TRIVIA *****
Samuel B. Anewalt was a Hatter and Furrier in Allentown, Pennsylvania. He opened his store in 1859, located at 742 Hamilton Street, at the southeast corner of Eighth and Hamilton Streets. It was founded by Samuel B. Anewalt, and S. Keck. Anewalt left the business to enlist in the Pennsylvania militia during the Civil War, and re-joined the business in 1865. Upon Mr Keck's death, he formed the firm of Anewalt and Brother, with John C. Anewalt. A new building was erected in 1869. The business continued until 1891 when John C. Anewalt left to open a retail business with his sons, Lewis L, Charles L. and John A. Anewalt. The store was renamed S. B. Anewalt & Company and then became a wholesale firm when he took his sons, William H and Samuel Jr, into the firm with him. In September, 1945 the business was closed after 75 years by William H Anewalt, although the business only operated out of its storeroom for the last few months of its existence. Samuel B. Anewalt passed in June, 1927. His son William H Anewalt passed on May 10th, 1953.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving yesterday afternoon, this advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, fob/key ring style pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my first, "W & H" fob style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "SERVICE SPRING CO. - INDIANAPOLIS, IND." The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. The blade needed a bit of a cleaning. I did what I could. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
I did NOT conduct a thorough search for information on this company.
Just a casual search produced no results at all.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my post office mail run produced this advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife and it became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), single tang stamp, all metal, advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is the first fob/key ring style pocket knife, that I've obtained, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says "FRED MEDART MFG. CO. - ST. LOUIS." The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. I cleaned it up, took some pictures and here it is. The last picture is of the letterhead for the company.

***** TRIVIA *****
There is PLENTY of information on the internet regarding this company.
Basically, this company manufactured gymnastic apparatus, playground apparatus, R.F.D. mail boxes, steel lockers, steel shelving, steel cabinets, locker benches, box lockers, book and stationery cabinets, game cabinets, indian club and dumb-bell cabinets, key cabinets and plinths.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”