THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
TPK

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by TPK »

A lot of new additions sense my last visit to this thread. Great looking knives & Congrats Skip! ::handshake:: ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:04 pm A.....
Thank you, Tom.🍻
::handshake::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Late yesterday afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my second "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The other one has been previously posted back on page 1. The main handle side says "BACKUS BASKETS - A. BACKUS JR & SONS - DETROIT, MICH." The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. It needed some very minor cleaning.
I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture shows a dog carrier made by the company.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

***** TRIVIA *****
Absolom Backus was born in 1824 and moved to Detroit in 1867. He started his woven basket company with his brother and his sons thereafter joined the company. The baskets that they created were used for various things, one of the most famous being dog carriers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
An unusual antique wooden dog carrier, by A. Backus, Jr., & Sons, dating from the early 1900’s and featuring a signed medallion on the front identifying the maker. Absalom Backus, Jr. (1824-1901) and his sons were manufacturers of dog crates and woven boxes in Detroit, MI. Henry N. Backus patented this animal crate in 1902, patent number 698782 – designed for “shipping fine dogs and other valuable animals.” This dog kennel features an arched roof, with a door in the front and a spring-loaded chute above for food (labeled “Dog Biscuit, Water Here, Pull Open to Feed”). The edges of the crate are reinforced with metal; however, this apparently didn’t deter a feisty previous occupant, who appears to have chewed through the crate at the edge of the door, and also managed to remove a few boards from the floor of the cage. This dog cage measures 28 ¼” wide, 40 ½” long, and 36” tall.
An unusual antique wooden dog carrier, by A. Backus, Jr., & Sons, dating from the early 1900’s and featuring a signed medallion on the front identifying the maker. Absalom Backus, Jr. (1824-1901) and his sons were manufacturers of dog crates and woven boxes in Detroit, MI. Henry N. Backus patented this animal crate in 1902, patent number 698782 – designed for “shipping fine dogs and other valuable animals.” This dog kennel features an arched roof, with a door in the front and a spring-loaded chute above for food (labeled “Dog Biscuit, Water Here, Pull Open to Feed”). The edges of the crate are reinforced with metal; however, this apparently didn’t deter a feisty previous occupant, who appears to have chewed through the crate at the edge of the door, and also managed to remove a few boards from the floor of the cage. This dog cage measures 28 ¼” wide, 40 ½” long, and 36” tall.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This afternoon, this advertising pocket knife arrived and joined this topic or thread and also joined my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, one tang stamp, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my fifth, "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company. This is my first, "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, that has this particular body pattern or style (quite a noticeable difference). The other four have been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main handle side says, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. - NEWARK, N.J., U.S.A." The other side says nothing, it is blank. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is. The last four pictures are of the other four, previously posted, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. - NEWARK, N.J., U.S.A." advertising fob/key ring style pocket knives. Yes, ALL four are different.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:00 pm This afternoon, this advertising pocket knife arrived and joined this topic or thread and also joined my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, one tang stamp, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my fifth, "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company. This is my first, "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, that has this particular body pattern or style (quite a noticeable difference). The other four have been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main handle side says, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. - NEWARK, N.J., U.S.A." The other side says nothing, it is blank. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is. The last four pictures are of the other four, previously posted, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. - NEWARK, N.J., U.S.A." advertising fob/key ring style pocket knives. Yes, ALL four are different.
Catching up on the posts in this thread. As usual Skip, some awesome additions you've added along with some great info. ::tu:: ::tu:: Congrats!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:18 pm Catching.....
Thank you, Smitty. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, I retrieved this item from the post office. I thought that I had seen ALL of the possible patterns or styles of the "W & H" advertising pocket knives. I was WRONG. But, I'm glad to be wrong in this particular case. Here is a pattern or style of "W & H" advertising pocket knife that I have NEVER seen before. It is a "W & H", combination knife and letter opener. It has a single blade and a single tool. The tang stamp is the arched or curved style, WITHOUT the "USA" in the middle. The body itself measures 3 3/4." It measures 11", tool tip to blade tip (opened). Both sides of the knife say the same thing. "McCABE BROS. COMPANY - GRAIN COMMISSION - DULUTH-MINNEAPOLIS-WINNIPEG." The main handle side has no issues. The other handle side has definitely seen better, non-gassing days. The blade has a chip in it. But, I did NOT buy this particular pocket knife for its looks. I did not want to risk damaging it further, so I did NOT attempt to clean it at all. Now I have to find another "W & H" combination letter opener and pocket knife that is in much better condition. I suppose this could be considered a "grail" knife, at least where "W & H" pocket knives are concerned. So, WHICH CUTLERY COMPANY made this one? I don't know, but the plot thickens and the hunts, the finds and the investigating continues. I took some pictures and here it is. I couldn't quite capture the tang stamp with my camera, so I am using the seller's tang stamp picture. I DID have to alter, edit and enhance it to be able to see the stamp. The very last picture is of the former McCabe grain elevator in Brandon, Manitoba, circa 1960's.

***** TRIVIA *****
Per the Manitoba Historical Society.....
"This company was founded in 1889 by brothers W. J. McCabe and George McCabe, operating a grain and lumber business at Glasston, Dakota Territory (now North Dakota). They acquired a line of country elevators and, in 1896, moved to Duluth, Minnesota. In the early 20th century, when James J. Hill began to build an extension of the Great Northern Railroad into Canada, the McCabes built grain elevator along its right-of-way in Canada and formed the McCabe Elevator Company to operate them. By 1912, the firm had 24 elevators in Canada and it organized the Victoria Elevator Company in 1916 and the Crescent Elevator Company in 1922. All companies were merged to form the McCabe Brothers Grain Company in 1928. It became the publicly-traded McCabe Grain Company in 1946. Its feed and seed assets were sold to National Grain in 1967 and 68 of its country elevators were sold to United Grain Growers in 1968. The remaining McCabe assets were merged to form National Grain Limited in 1971."

Here are, in alphabetical order, the (updated) states that are represented by most,
but not all, of the advertising on these "W & H" pocket knives (as of this posting).
Also, there are now two, Canadian cities represented (as of this posting).
These are MY posted pocket knives that ONLY have the "W & H" tang stamp(s).

1. California
2. Illinois
3. Indiana
4. Maine
5. Massachusetts
6. Michigan
7. Minnesota
8. Missouri
9. New Hampshire
10. New Jersey
11. New York
12. Ohio
13. Pennsylvania
14. Washington
15. West Virginia
16. Montreal, Canada
17. Winnipeg, Canada
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife, became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side, although pretty worn, says "THORNTON & MINOR - SANITARIUM - KANSAS CITY, MO." The other side, also fairly worn, says "OWNER'S NUMBER REGISTERED - RETURN AND - RECEIVE REWARD 0132." It appears that a previous owner lightly etched his name (Pat Brown?) into the one handle side. I did not want to risk rubbing off any of the remaining advertising on either of the handle sides, so I only cleaned the blade. It does look like, at some point, someone tried to enlarge the hole. Also, there is a crack in the loop, but only on one side of it. I took some pictures and here it is. The last two pictures are of postcards or letterheads of the sanitarium. They are NOT in any particular order.

***** TRIVIA *****
The specialty clinic started by Dr. T. W. Thornton in 1877 was first located in small building at 111 W. 10th St. In 1885, Dr. W. E. Minor joined Dr. Thornton at that location and the name was changed to the Thornton & Minor clinic. The clinic specialized in rectal and colonic disorders. By the time the organization reached its final home on the corner of Linwood Boulevard and Harrison Street, more than 65,000 people had been treated. After moving from its first location in 1890 and twice more in 1900 and 1909, the Thornton & Minor Sanitarium company bought the Lucerne apartment hotel at Linwood and Harrison. The organization converted the six-story building into a 300-bed hospital for its patients who had previously been forced to stay in hotels near the old location.The Thornton & Minor hospital merged its medical facilities with the McCleary clinic and hospital and moved to Excelsior Springs in November 1957. The next year the building became the regional office facility for the Veterans Administration.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:00 pm This morning, this advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife, became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side, although pretty worn, says "THORNTON & MINOR - SANITARIUM - KANSAS CITY, MO." The other side, also fairly worn, says "OWNER'S NUMBER REGISTERED - RETURN AND - RECEIVE REWARD 0132." It appears that a previous owner lightly etched his name (Pat Brown?) into the one handle side. I did not want to risk rubbing off any of the remaining advertising on either of the handle sides, so I only cleaned the blade. It does look like, at some point, someone tried to enlarge the hole. Also, there is a crack in the loop, but only on one side of it. I took some pictures and here it is. The last two pictures are of postcards or letterheads of the sanitarium. They are NOT in any particular order.

***** TRIVIA *****
The specialty clinic started by Dr. T. W. Thornton in 1877 was first located in small building at 111 W. 10th St. In 1885, Dr. W. E. Minor joined Dr. Thornton at that location and the name was changed to the Thornton & Minor clinic. The clinic specialized in rectal and colonic disorders. By the time the organization reached its final home on the corner of Linwood Boulevard and Harrison Street, more than 65,000 people had been treated. After moving from its first location in 1890 and twice more in 1900 and 1909, the Thornton & Minor Sanitarium company bought the Lucerne apartment hotel at Linwood and Harrison. The organization converted the six-story building into a 300-bed hospital for its patients who had previously been forced to stay in hotels near the old location.The Thornton & Minor hospital merged its medical facilities with the McCleary clinic and hospital and moved to Excelsior Springs in November 1957. The next year the building became the regional office facility for the Veterans Administration.
Couple more interesting knives you have posted Skip!! Really like the trivia and info on them. Some nice additions indeed.

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:54 am Couple.....
Thank you, Smitty.🍻
It's either feast or famine with these pocket knives.
Lately, I've been feasting.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "BIRTHDAY GREETINGS - COMMONWEALTH LIFE - LOUISVILLE, KY." The other side says nothing, it is blank. This one definitely needed some cleaning. I cleaned it, I took some pictures and here it is. The last picture shows the home office in Louisville, Kentucky.

Here is, in alphabetical order, the updated list of states that are represented by most,
but not all, of the advertising on these "W & H" pocket knives (as of this posting).
Also, there are two, Canadian cities represented (as of this posting).
These are MY posted pocket knives that ONLY have the "W & H" tang stamp(s).

1. California
2. Illinois
3. Indiana
4. Kentucky
5. Maine
6. Massachusetts
7. Michigan
8. Minnesota
9. Missouri
10. New Hampshire
11. New Jersey
12. New York
13. Ohio
14. Pennsylvania
15. Washington
16. West Virginia
17. Montreal, Canada
18. Winnipeg, Canada
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:00 pm This morning, this fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "BIRTHDAY GREETINGS - COMMONWEALTH LIFE - LOUISVILLE, KY." The other side says nothing, it is blank. This one definitely needed some cleaning. I cleaned it, I took some pictures and here it is.......
Cleaned up really nice. A very nice addition to your group. ::tu::

Smitty
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Not a knife but...
Attachments
Picsart_22-02-22_13-04-57-429.jpg
Picsart_22-02-22_13-03-58-885.jpg
Picsart_22-02-22_13-10-53-675.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:57 am Cleaned.....
Thank you, Smitty. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving this morning, this advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), one tang stamp, all metal, advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is the second fob/key ring style pocket knife, that I've obtained, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "Anheuser Busch INC. - CABINETS & REFRIGERATOR BODIES" and has a logo. The other side says "RETURN FOR REWARD - ANHEUSER-BUSCH INC. - ST. LOUIS 192" It definitely needed to be cleaned. I cleaned what I could, took some pictures and here it is.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

***** This is NOT one of the five (one is mine, four aren't mine) "W & H" Anheuser Busch Inc. advertising pocket
knives that I previously posted. The other four, not mine, can be viewed in my posts on Friday, January 21, 2022
and Saturday, January 22, 2022. The other one, mine, can be seen in my post on Tuesday, January 25, 2022. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:00 pm Arriving this morning, this advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), one tang stamp, all metal, advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is the second fob/key ring style pocket knife, that I've obtained, that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "Anheuser Busch INC. - CABINETS & REFRIGERATOR BODIES" and has a logo. The other side says "RETURN FOR REWARD - ANHEUSER-BUSCH INC. - ST. LOUIS 192" It definitely needed to be cleaned. I cleaned what I could, took some pictures and here it is.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

***** This is NOT one of the five (one is mine, four aren't mine) "W & H" Anheuser Busch Inc. advertising pocket
knives that I previously posted. The other four, not mine, can be viewed in my posts on Friday, January 21, 2022
and Saturday, January 22, 2022. The other one, mine, can be seen in my post on Tuesday, January 25, 2022. *****
I really like that one Skip. Very nice!! I've always thought the Anheuser Busch Logo was a good looking design. Congrats on a great find!! ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:25 am I.....
Thank you, Smitty. 🍻
If only these little guys could talk.....

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:45 am
Thank you, Smitty. 🍻
If only these little guys could talk.....
I agree!! Some would be some great stories I'm sure. ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:22 pm I.....
Considering the time frame that these were being made,
the 1920's and earlier, they existed during some extraordinary times.
Of course, you could say that about ANY piece of cutlery from the past. ::tu::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday afternoon, this arrived and became the latest pocket knife to join this topic or thread and also join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, one tang stamp, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop/ring), all metal, advertising, fob/key ring style pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my sixth, "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular company. But, it is only my second "W & H" fob/key ring style pocket knife, advertising this particular company, that has this particular body pattern or style (quite a noticeable difference). The other five have ALL been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main handle side says, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. - NEWARK, N.J., U.S.A." The other side says nothing, it is blank. It does have a crack in the spring. This does NOT bother me. I cleaned it up, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found this one just a little too late.::dang:: 😡
I'm not too upset that I didn't get this one, as I already have a similar one (pictures #7 & #8 below). Although, this one does have a much better blade. This advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures are the seller's and have NOT been edited, altered, or enhanced by me, EXCEPT for size. I am posting the following advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife for posterity and as a reference. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH "USA" in the middle. The main handle side says "SHEFFORD - CHEESE CO." The other handle side says "SYRACUSE, N.Y." This is the second "W & H" advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife that I missed from this particular seller. The other "W & H" advertising fob/key ring style pocket knife, that I missed, was posted by me, under this topic or thread, on Monday November 1, 2021 (the last two pictures below).

***** If the new owner wishes to part with it, PLEASE PM me. I am NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
The Recently Missed "W & H" Pocket Knife.
Mine.
Mine.
Mine.
Mine.
The Previously Missed "W & H" Pocket Knife.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

It has been awhile since I acquired and posted one of these advertising pocket knives (July 1, 2021). Yesterday afternoon, this one became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. I'm 99.999% sure that this is a VOOS, single blade, single tang stamp, 3" closed, all metal, advertising, fob/key ring pattern or style pocket knife. This is my sixth fob/key ring pocket knife that is this particular pattern or style, but only my second with a barely legible tang stamp. This is my first fob/key ring pattern or style pocket knife advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc., that I've obtained. The other five have been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main handle side says "11TH ANNUAL CONVENTION - KANSAS CITY, 1923" and the other handle side says "LINEN SUPPLY ASSOCIATION - OF AMERICA." Below the loop it says "PAT'D 10-29-12." There isn't much of the tang stamp remaining that can easily be read with just the eyes. However, there is enough of the tang stamp remaining for me to believe that it does say, VOOS - MADE IN - U.S.A. But I won't say that I'm 100% positive. It is definitely NOT a "W & H" or ROBESON tang stamp. I'm 99.999% sure that it does NOT say VOSS. So, does this mean that yet ANOTHER, DIFFERENT cutlery company was involved in the direct manufacture of OR at the very least, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pattern or style of advertising pocket knife for Whitehead & Hoag? Yes, I do believe It does suggest that and quite strongly. It needed some cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** Here is the most recent, up to date list, of the cutlery companies that possibly made,
or possibly had a hand in the manufacturing of, pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag. *****

H. BOKER (U.S.A.) - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
L. F. & C. - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
MERIDEN - Slight Chance Of Involvement.
REMINGTON UMC - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
ROBESON - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
E. C. SIMMONS KEEN KUTTER - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
VALLEY FORGE - No Hard Evidence (So Far).
VOOS - 99.999% sure of Involvement.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
VOOS Tang Stamp?<br />I Am 99.999% Sure That It Does Say VOOS.<br />I Am 99.999% Sure That It Does Not Say VOSS.
VOOS Tang Stamp?
I Am 99.999% Sure That It Does Say VOOS.
I Am 99.999% Sure That It Does Not Say VOSS.
Unknown Tang Stamp-<br />On This Pattern Or Style Of Pocket Knife.<br />If Anyone Can Figure It Out,<br />Please Let Me Know.
Unknown Tang Stamp-
On This Pattern Or Style Of Pocket Knife.
If Anyone Can Figure It Out,
Please Let Me Know.
ROBESON Tang Stamp-<br />On This Pattern Or Style Of Pocket Knife.
ROBESON Tang Stamp-
W &amp; H Tang Stamp-<br />On This Pattern Or Style Of Pocket Knife.
W & H Tang Stamp-

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, this advertising fob or key ring style pocket knife became the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, single tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising, fob or key ring style pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main side says "SECOND NATIONAL BANK - NEW ALBANY TRUST CO. - 4% AND A LITTLE BETTER SERVICE." The other side says nothing, it is blank. I cleaned it up a bit, I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Arriving this afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the latest to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, single tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, fob or key ring style pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "MECHANICS NATIONAL BANK - BURLINGTON, N.J." and the other handle side says "1839-1865-1926."
I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is. The last four pictures show different images of the bank.

***** TRIVIA *****
Mechanics Bank of Burlington, incorporated in 1839, the bank served the Burlington County area of New Jersey near Philadelphia. In 1871, the business became the Mechanics National Bank of Burlington. The bank merged with Farmers & Mechanics Building & Loan Association and became the Farmers & Mechanics Bank, headquartered in Burlington, New Jersey and serving greater Burlington County and parts of Camden and Mercer Counties, New Jersey. The name changed to FMS Financial and merged with Beneficial Mutual Bancorp in 2007.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:00 am Arriving this afternoon, this advertising pocket knife became the latest to join this topic or thread and the latest to join my collection. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, all metal, single tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, fob or key ring style pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, with "USA" in the middle. This is my first "W & H" fob or key ring style pocket knife that advertises this particular company, business, product, event, etc. The main handle side says, "MECHANICS NATIONAL BANK - BURLINGTON, N.J." and the other handle side says "1839-1865-1926."
I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is. The last four pictures show different images of the bank.

***** TRIVIA *****
Mechanics Bank of Burlington, incorporated in 1839, the bank served the Burlington County area of New Jersey near Philadelphia. In 1871, the business became the Mechanics National Bank of Burlington. The bank merged with Farmers & Mechanics Building & Loan Association and became the Farmers & Mechanics Bank, headquartered in Burlington, New Jersey and serving greater Burlington County and parts of Camden and Mercer Counties, New Jersey. The name changed to FMS Financial and merged with Beneficial Mutual Bancorp in 2007.
Good post, Skip! A nice addition to your collection with some good historical photos. ::tu::
Ike

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”