THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
cody6268

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by cody6268 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:30 am This afternoon I added this, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife to my collection. This is my second fob/key ring pocket knife advertising this particular company. The main side says "NATIONAL ARMATURE & ELEC. WKS. - BLUEFIELD, W. VA." and the other side says "MANUFACTURERS - ARMATURE COILS-FIELD COILS." It needed a little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

Here's the link to the other, same style/pattern, same advertised company, pocket knife (previous page):
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70226&start=105#p938584

That's about 15-20 minutes from me. I've heard the name, but I don't know where exactly. Likely downtown.

Here's one from roughly the same area. Bluefield Hardware went under in the 1980s, and their building was purchased by the neighboring Citizens Building Supply, an Ace Hardware affiliate. Their main storefront is in the former Bluefield Hardware.

I never knew a Reg Wickham, and my Granddad got the knife secondhand many years after it was produced.
KIMG0312.JPG
KIMG0311.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Getting back on point. Yesterday afternoon, this pocket knife arrived and became the most recent addition to my collection and to this topic or thread. It is another, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 7/32" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The main side says "THE ALMS & DOEPKE CO. - CINCINNATI, OHIO - 1865 1925 The other side says "WHOLESALE - DRY GOODS, NOTIONS - CARPETS ETC." This is the second fob/key ring pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that advertises this particular company, business and or product(s) that I've obtained. I gave it a minor cleaning, took pictures and here it is. This is NOT the pocket knife that I mentioned buying in my previous post.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:17 pm This arrived this morning and became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade,
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:20 pm Getting back on point. Yesterday afternoon, this pocket knife arrived and became the most recent addition to my collection and to this topic or thread. It is another, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 7/32" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife.

Just catching up, been away for a while. I see Lady Luck is still smiling on you Skip. Some interesting knives and reading. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 pm Just.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Just when I thought I had seen all of the "W & H" fob/key ring, advertising pocket knife and handle patterns or styles, I found this one and I pounced on it. This afternoon, it joined my collection and also this topic or thread. It is GORGEOUS and it is the first "W & H" advertising pocket knife, of this pattern or style, that I've seen (so far). It is a "W & H", 2 blades, 2 different tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, almost all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the 2 line, curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT USA (THE W. & H. CO. - NEWARK, N.J.). The secondary blade tang stamp is a 2 line, block style stamp (THE - W. & H. CO.). Here's an interesting fact. This is the first, so far, "W & H", 2 blades, advertising pocket knife that has 2 DIFFERENT "W & H" tang stamps (that I own). The main handle side says "THE STEVENS - GREASE & OIL CO. - CLEVELAND" It also has a round, enameled logo that has the following "S G & O C" in script. The other handle side says "I. P. M. A. - CLEVELAND SEP'T. 1913" I. P. M. A. might mean "Independent Petroleum Marketers Association." That information is per the seller. I'm 99.999% sure that NONE of the previously mentioned cutlery companies that could be associated with Whitehead & Hoag, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife. If so, then what cutlery company or companies manufactured or had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife? Could this pocket knife possibly be a clue that links H. BOKER & CO and or VALLEY FORGE CUTLERY COMPANY to Whitehead & Hoag? The investigation and hunt continue! It is in FANTASTIC condition. It did not require any cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

Could this pocket knife possibly be directly related to, or a distant relative of, this previously posted pocket knife?
Click this link for the other pocket knife: viewtopic.php?f=35&p=952061#p945580
Ignore the handle graphics, patterns and designs. Compare the 2 different tang stamps on both knives.
Compare the secondary blades on both knives also. Judge for yourself.
Attachments
The Main Side.
The Main Side.
The Opposite Side.
The Opposite Side.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:45 am Just when I thought I had seen all of the "W & H" fob/key ring, advertising pocket knife and handle patterns or styles, I found and I pounced on this one. This afternoon, it joined my collection and this topic or thread. It is GORGEOUS and it is the first "W & H" advertising pocket knife, of this pattern or style, that I've seen (so far). It is a "W & H", 2 blades, 2 different tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, almost all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the 2 line, curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT USA (THE W. & H. CO. - NEWARK, N.J.). The secondary blade tang stamp is a 2 line, block style stamp (THE - W. & H. CO.). Here's an interesting fact. This is the first, so far, "W & H", 2 blades, advertising pocket knife that has 2 DIFFERENT "W & H" tang stamps. The main handle side says "THE STEVENS - GREASE & OIL CO. - CLEVELAND" It also has an enameled round logo that has the following "S G & O C" in script. The other handle side says "I. P. M. A. - CLEVELAND SEP'T. 1913" I. P. M. A. might mean "Independent Petroleum Marketers Association." That information is per the seller. I'm 99.999% sure that NONE of the previously mentioned cutlery companies that could be associated with Whitehead & Hoag, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife. If so, then what cutlery company or companies manufactured or had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife? The investigation and hunt continue! It is in FANTASTIC condition. It did not require any cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

Could this pocket knife possibly be directly related to, or a distant relative of, this previously posted pocket knife?
Ignore the handle graphics, patterns and designs. Compare the 2 different tang stamps on both knives.
Compare the secondary blades on both knives also. Judge for yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=35&p=952061#p945580
Another very nice find Skip. The blue enameled Logo really enhances the eye appeal of the handles. You should know that when we think we've seen most of a particular make, there will always be another variation pop up. Congrats on a very nice find.

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:40 am Another.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
I don't imagine that there can be too many variations on the size and shapes of these "W & H" knives.
Variations on the handle graphics, the patterns and the designs are hopefully limited.
Obviously, there is no limit to the variety of companies and or products that are being advertised.
It's fun and challenging to track these down and acquire them.

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Very interesting topic & knives Skip! ::tu:: I like advertising knives. ::nod:: I am especially intrigued by the button hook tool. I don't have any knives with a button hook yet but I would like to add one of those to my own collection some day. Anyways, cool thread, thanks for sharing! ::handshake:: ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Beauty of a knife, Skip! ::tu::
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:58 am Very.....
Thank you Tom, much appreciated.🍻
::handshake::

Waukonda wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:23 pm Beauty.....
Thank you Ike.🍻
It's one of my favorites.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I am posting the following pictures strictly for posterity and for future reference.
NONE of these pocket knives are mine. NONE of these pictures are mine. These are
the seller's pictures and they are the only pictures. They have not been edited,
altered or enhanced in any manner, EXCEPT for size.

***** The knives in the first two pictures have handle graphics/patterns/designs, NOT the actual advertisements, that I have NOT seen before. Does this mean that more and different cutlery companies are involved in the manufacturing of, or have a hand in, the manufacturing of advertising pocket knives for "W & H?" Or, were these made by a previously posted, in this topic, cutlery company or companies? The search and the investigation continue..... *****

Could the knife in picture #2 possibly be directly related to, or a distant relative of, this previously posted pocket knife? Click this link for the other pocket knife:viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70226&p=954088#p952061
Ignore the handle graphics, patterns and designs. Compare both blades on both knives.
The secondary blades have that distinctive 45 degree angle tang (guesstimate).
Compare the secondary blade tang stamps on both knives also. Judge for yourself.

Could the knife in picture #1 possibly be directly related to, or be a distant relative of, the knife in picture #2?
Ignore the handle graphics, patterns and designs. The secondary blade appears to be the same. Again, it has that
distinctive 45 degree angle tang (guesstimate). The main blade has the curved or arched tang stamp without the
"USA" in the middle. The main blade itself however, is different from the other knife's main blade. It may have been
sharpened down OR it's just a different blade. I need more evidence before I can form an opinion. It would have been
nice if pictures of BOTH sides of BOTH knives had been provided. Oh well, I'll just work with what I have.
Attachments
I've never seen this &quot;exact&quot; handle pattern before.<br />The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched <br />style, WITHOUT the &quot;USA&quot; in the center.<br />The secondary blade tang stamp, if there is one, is unknown.
I've never seen this "exact" handle pattern before.
The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched
style, WITHOUT the "USA" in the center.
The secondary blade tang stamp, if there is one, is unknown.
I've never seen this &quot;exact&quot; handle pattern before.<br />The secondary blade tang stamp is the block style.<br />The main blade tang stamp, if there is one, is unknown.
I've never seen this "exact" handle pattern before.
The secondary blade tang stamp is the block style.
The main blade tang stamp, if there is one, is unknown.
This one &quot;should&quot; have a &quot;W &amp; H&quot; tang stamp.
This one "should" have a "W & H" tang stamp.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. This is my first fob/key ring pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business or product. The main side says "1889 1924 - THE TUCKERTON BANK - TUCKERTON, N.J." The other side is blank. It needed to be cleaned. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The tang stamp is the curved or arched style<br />tang stamp, WITH the &quot;USA&quot; in the middle.
The tang stamp is the curved or arched style
tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle.

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:00 pm Today, this pocket knife became the latest addition to my collection and to this topic/thread. It is a "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK, NJ", single blade, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style with "USA" in the middle. This is my first fob/key ring pocket knife that is advertising this particular company, business or product. The main side says "1889 1924 - THE TUCKERTON BANK - TUCKERTON, N.J." The other side is blank. It needed to be cleaned. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is.
Another nice addition to your W & H CO group Skip. She cleaned up well. ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:52 am Another.....
Thank you Smitty.👍

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

In some of my previous posts under this topic/thread, I've included links to other posts, also under this same topic/thread, that I feel are relevant to whatever I happen to be posting at the time. A link or some of the links now take you to an "unrelated" post or posts, but under this same topic/thread. If you do click on a link, you'll either be taken to the correct post or close to the correct post and you can search from there. The other options are, if you want to, search page by page or use the topic/thread search box, using key words, to find the related post or posts. I have to do the same thing also. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, this pocket knife became the most recent addition to my collection and to this topic or thread. It is another, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 7/32" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The main side says "WYNKOOP COAL MINING CO. - 149 B'DWAY NEW YORK" The other side says "STINEMAN - SMOKELESS COAL CORP. - BITUMINOUS COALS" This is the first fob/key ring pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that advertises this particular company, business and or product(s) that I've obtained. I gave it a minor cleaning, took pictures and here it is. Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The tang stamp is the curved or arched style<br />tang stamp, WITH the &quot;USA&quot; in the middle.
The tang stamp is the curved or arched style
tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle.

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:20 am This morning, this pocket knife became the most recent addition to my collection and to this topic or thread. It is another, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 7/32" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The main side says "WYNKOOP COAL MINING CO. - 149 B'DWAY NEW YORK" The other side says "STINEMAN - SMOKELESS COAL CORP. - BITUMINOUS COALS" This is the first fob/key ring pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that advertises this particular company, business and or product(s) that I've obtained. I gave it a minor cleaning, took pictures and here it is. Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Another fine addition Skip. ::tu:: Neat history with a lot of these.

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 am Another.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
I love these little time capsules of history.
They aren't easy to find. But then again, the fun is in the hunt.

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:20 am This morning, this pocket knife became the most recent addition to my collection and to this topic or thread. It is another, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 7/32" closed, single tang stamp, all metal, fob/key ring pocket knife. The main side says "WYNKOOP COAL MINING CO. - 149 B'DWAY NEW YORK" The other side says "STINEMAN - SMOKELESS COAL CORP. - BITUMINOUS COALS" This is the first fob/key ring pocket knife, in this pattern or style, that advertises this particular company, business and or product(s) that I've obtained. I gave it a minor cleaning, took pictures and here it is. Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Just saw this one, Skip, that is an awesome knife from the days that coal was king.
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 am Just.....
Thank you Ike.🍻
But it wasn't from the days of Nat King Cole.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. ::facepalm::

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:14 am
Waukonda wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 am Just.....
Thank you Ike.🍻
But it wasn't from the days of Nat King Cole.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. ::facepalm::
:lol:
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Here is a NICE example of a role reversal, in regards to the theme of this topic or thread. A Whitehead & Hoag product, made by Whitehead & Hoag, for a cutlery company. In this case, for the CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY CO. It has a nice, clear, "W. & H. CO" maker stamp near the bottom edge. Now, does this suggest that the CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY could have made, or could have been involved in, the manufacturing of pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag? Maybe, maybe not. But my hunt, my quest for answers continues and must also now include, the CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY.
Attachments
image.jpeg
&quot;W. &amp; H. CO&quot; Maker Stamp.
"W. & H. CO" Maker Stamp.

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:30 am Here is a NICE example of a role reversal, in regards to the theme of this topic or thread. A Whitehead & Hoag product, made by Whitehead & Hoag, for a cutlery company. In this case, for the CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY CO. It has a nice, clear, "W. & H. CO" maker stamp near the bottom edge. Now, does this suggest that the CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY could have made, or could have been involved in, the manufacturing of pocket knives for Whitehead & Hoag? Maybe, maybe not. But my hunt, my quest for answers continues and must also now include, the CATTARAUGUS CUTLERY COMPANY.
Cool find Skip, and very unique. ::nod:: ::tu::

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:10 am Cool.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
Just another fork in the road. ::tu::

Skip
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That is a cool bit of history you got there, Skip!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”